This article is for readers who want to help contribute to localizing our wiki's codebase for the international WARFRAME community!
- Last updated: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 20:38:36 +0000 (UTC) by User:Cephalon Scientia
How To Start
If you are familiar or fluent in a language other than English, you can start contributing translations on Special:BlankPage/I18nEdit. Pick a translation table you want to edit, then the language you want to update, and start translating!
- Do not solely rely on third-party translation tools such as https://translate.google.com/ and https://www.deepl.com/ to produce accurate translations. There may be nuances in syntax, grammar, and meaning (especially in the context of video games) that are overlooked by these which is why human translators are needed to verify their results.
- Always cross-reference with credible dictionaries or resources produced by native speakers such as on Wikipedia.
- Whenever possible, use official translations as seen in-game as those are produced and vetted by professionals hired by Digital Extremes and should be accurate.
- Includes descriptions on mod cards and in the Codex.
- Feel free to also reference our sister wikis in other languages (see #Other Localization Efforts) as most of their content are written/translated by native speakers in the context of WARFRAME and video games in general.
Where Are Translations Used?
As of 05:11, 22 October 2021 (UTC), the following messages are localized on the wiki:
- Row headers and some messages in infoboxes on...
- any weapon page
- any Warframe page
- Nightwave current acts table
- Template:Math error messages
Any content generated by our internationalized Lua modules or front-end scripts will try to display content in the language that you set in "My Preferences" (Special:Preferences) → Under "User profile" → Internationalisation" → language picker. This setting can be overrided by adding
?uselang=<language_code> to the end of the URL if you want to see wiki content in other languages. For example,
https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Braton?uselang=es will put the infobox in the Spanish locale.
Please leave a comment or send a message to one of our admins if you want a specific module to be internationalized.
Note that database content are not localized at this time. See Mobile Export for localized names of WARFRAME items from DE themselves.
As of 00:26, 16 February 2022 (UTC):
|Module:Stances (stance table builder function)||❌|
|Module:Acquisition (acquisition table builder)||❌|
|Module:MasteryRank (mastery XP table builder)||❌|
|Module:Math||✔️ (error messages)|
Officially Supported Languages
WARFRAME officially supports the following languages so these should be prioritized first:
The following prioritization of languages to support is based on:
- Geolocation data from Analytics dashboard as of October 2021
- The number of posts made in other languages on https://forums.warframe.com/
- WARFRAME officially supported languages
- Fandom officially supported languages
- General population size of L1 (native) or L2 (second language) speakers in a specific language
- Language difficulty/similarity for native speakers reading in a different language (e.g. French and Spanish have similar lexicon, being from the same family of languages)
- The sister wikis that fork this wiki's codebase
|Level of Priority||Languages|
|I||English (US), Chinese (Simplified), Spanish (Spain), Russian|
|II||French, German, Italian, Portuguese (Brazil), Ukrainian, Polish|
|III||Chinese (Traditional), Turkish, Thai, Japanese, Korean|
|IV||Fandom supported languages: Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Greek (modern), Estonian, Persian, Finnish, Hebrew, Hindu, Croatian, Hungarian, Indonesian, Malay, Dutch, Norwegian, Romanian, Serbian, Swedish, Filipino, Vietnamese|
|V||Any other languages not officially supported by both WARFRAME and Fandom (e.g. Afrikaans)|
Other Localization Efforts
If you want to help localize articles on this wiki in other languages for our sister wikis, then you can check out Special:WithoutInterwiki for a list of pages that do not have interlanguage links to other Fandom wikis.
- https://dev.fandom.com/wiki/I18nEdit - I18nEdit documentation and usage help
- https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Language - anything related to languages and localization on MediaWiki
- https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:ParserFunctions##time - datetime formatting using
#timeparser function and mw.language:formatDate
|WARFRAME Wiki Policies and Meta|
|Content||Article Policy • Blog Policy • Data Mining Policy • Media Policy • Projects • Styling Guide|
|Community||Assume Good Faith • Banning Policy • Chat Policy • Research • Protected Pages • Talk Page and Comment Policy|
|Development||Bug Reports • Updating Databases • Development Guide • Localization Guide • Programming Standards • Templates|
|Design Documents||Data Compression • Expected & Nearly Guaranteed Numbers • Lua Error Handling • Stat Comparison • Stat Display|
|Business Artifacts||Administrators (organizational/leadership structure) • Comparison of Hosting Services • Desired Features • Licensing • Project Vision and Scope • Solution Stack • Stakeholder Analysis|
|Sandbox||Special:ApiSandbox • MobileViewTestPage • Sandbox • Special:ExpandTemplates|
|Metadata||Copyrights • Duplicate image script • ParentPage • Special:Statistics • Special:Version|
|Change Logs||2012 • 2013 • 2014 • 2015 • 2016 • 2017 • 2018 • 2019 • 2020 • 2021 • 2022|