Like MOAs and Predasites, Vulpaphylas are obtained through a modular system, with players able to select from various combinations of three different components to create Vulpaphylas to their liking. Since these are organic companions, by lore they are not "built", but rather "revivified" through the use of mutagens and antigens from Son. Beast and Kavat mods may be equipped on Vulpaphylas, however Kavat-specific cosmetics cannot. Vulpaphylas are also immune to the Vasca Virus (as of Update 30.3 (2021-05-25)).
Similar to other non-Sentinel companions, Vulpaphylas can be given custom names for further personalization once they are gilded, as well as being able to be revived once downed.
Similarly to 's , Vulpaphlyas have an ability to self-revive with their respective Devolution precept, which regresses the creature into a larval state immediately upon death. This form floats next to the owner in a similar manner to Sentinels for 30 seconds before reviving itself. Each subspecies' Devolution precept offers differing behaviors for their larval states, but the underlying revival mechanic remains the same, effectively rendering the Vulpaphyla immortal until its owner dies. However, the Devolution precept prevents the Vulpaphyla from entering bleedout and thus cannot be revived normally, and its transformation cannot be sped up.
A Vulpaphyla companion needs three different components to be revivified, the Weakened Subspecies, the Mutagen, and the Antigen. Each component type has several options to choose from, allowing players to customize stats and the Vulpaphyla's type and appearance.
The Vulpaphyla's Subspecies forms the companion's head which is the component that earns Mastery Rank points for the Vulpaphyla after gilding. Each subspecies grant 2 mods like other companions.
The Mutagen determines the appearance of the Vulpaphyla's tail and the innate resistance type of the Vulpaphyla.
The Antigen determines the appearance of the Vulpaphyla's Head/Neck, and determines the first Polarity of the Vulpaphyla.
Before players can revivify a Vulpaphyla, they must first purchase the blueprints for the Mutagen and Antigen they desire from Son, which is available for Standing, after which these parts must then be constructed at the Foundry.
The Weakened Subspecies must be captured via Conservation in the Cambion Drift. The wild Vulpaphyla must be put in a "weakened" state, which occurs when attacked by roaming Infested, indicated by an orange shimmering overlay and the name "Weakened" appearing before the Vulpaphyla's name (e.g. Weakened Sly Vulpaphyla). Players may either find wild Vulpaphlya already in combat, or tranq them and then lure enemy Infested toward the sleeping creature. Beware, however, as upon seeing the player, they will attempt to flee and despawn relatively quickly.
Once the component parts have been crafted and the Weakened Subspecies captured, players must return to Son and select the Vulpaphyla Revivification option. Here, players must choose the components they have available to revivify the Vulpaphyla. Once a Subspecies, Mutagen, and Antigen are selected, the player will be shown a preview of the Vulpaphyla's appearance. If the Vulpaphyla is satisfactory, players can then proceed with the Build action, which will instantly Revivify the Vulpaphyla for 5,000. Players can also use the Configure screen to preview builds of Vulpaphyla components they do not yet own.
In order to fully unlock all of a Vulpaphyla's features, players must gild their Vulpaphyla. To gild a Vulpaphyla, the desired Vulpaphyla must first be leveled up to Rank 30. Afterwards, players must return to Son and select the Gild option under Experimental Procedures, which will cost 10 Son Tokens and 5,000. Upon gilding the Vulpaphyla, players will be asked to first add a Polarity to the Vulpaphyla, and then finally give it a custom name. This process will reset the Vulpaphyla's level back to Rank 0.A Gilded Vulpaphyla will have all of the functionality available to other organic companions, and it will have enhanced stats over the newly-built version of the Vulpaphyla. You will only be able to earn Mastery Rank points once you Gild your Vulpaphyla.
- By default a Vulpaphyla companion has 95 Health, 50 Armor, and 90 Shields. Note that gilding will not increase these stats.
- The cheapest Vulpaphyla can be revivified at Rank 1: Stranger and its base components will cost 2,500 (Adra & Desus) while the most expensive can be built at Rank 4: Friend and its base components will cost 12,000 (Phijar & Poxi).
- Gilding a Vulpaphyla costs 10 s and 5000 Entrati Standing.
- Rank 30 Vulpaphylas and Gilded Vulpaphylas can be donated to Son in exchange for 10 and 15 s, respectively.
- Weakened Subspecies are not tradeable.
- Vulpaphylas have to be gilded to earn Mastery Rank points, with their progression tied to the Vulpaphyla's Subspecies alone. For example, if a player levels up a Gilded Sly Vulpaphyla to 30, any future Sly Vulpaphyla revivified will no longer provide Mastery regardless of what combination of Mutagens and Antigens they have.
- As there are three currently available, the maximum amount of Mastery Rank points that can be earned from Vulpaphyla revivification is 18,000.
- The Adra Mutagen's Proto Shield applies to the Vulpaphyla's health type. It does not apply to its shields.
- Custom names for Vulpaphylas have a 24 character limit including spaces, and will not accept special characters like commas (,) or apostrophes ('), though hyphens ( - ) are accepted.
- Names can also not include any profanities such as swear words.
- With 3 Subspecies, 4 Mutagens and 4 Antigens, there are currently a total of 48 possible Vulpaphyla combinations available.
- Six Vulpaphyla Precept mods were released with the 3 Vulpaphyla companions (each Vulpaphyla subspecies, once used to build a Vulpaphyla companion, comes with 2 specific Precept mods):
- Vulpaphyla larvae created through the Devolution precepts do not have access to the rest of the Vulpaphyla's equipped mods until they are revived.
- All Devolution precepts function normally during Arbitrations.
- Devolution counts as dying and will cost experience each time it occurs. Therefore, while leveling up your Vulpaphyla, it might be advisable to not use the Devolution Precepts and revive it manually instead.
- When a Vulpaphyla is age-regressed through the Incubator, it will resemble its devolved larva phase.
- Vulpaphyla are based on the genus of canids Vulpes, also colloquially known as 'true foxes'.
- Zaw, melee modular weapons.
- Kitgun, primary and secondary modular weapons.
- Amp, Operator modular weapons.
- K-Drive, modular vehicles.
- MOA Companions, modular MOA companions.
- Predasite, modular Kubrow-like companions also from the Cambion Drift.
- Hound (Companion), modular Sisters of Parvos companions.
|Species||Sly • Crescent • Panzer|
|Mutagen||Adra • Elsa • Zarim • Phijar|
|Antigen||Desus • Virox • Plagen • Poxi|
|Species||Incubated||Adarza • Smeeta • Vasca • Venari|
|Vulpaphyla||Sly • Crescent • Panzer|
|Enemy||Feral • Hyekka|
|Breeding||Kavat Genetic Code • Incubator Power Core|
|Genetics||DNA Stabilizer • Genetic Code Template|
|Others||• • •|
|• • • • • • • ( ) • • • • • • •|
|• • • • •|
|Sentinel|| (Prime) • (Prime) • • • (Prime)|
• • (Prisma) • • (Prime)
|MOA||• • •|
|Kubrow|| • • |
|Kavat||• • •|