The Viper is a machine pistol of Grineer design issued to their Shield Lancers. It is the most portable weapon manufactured by the Grineer and boasts a high rate of fire and an extremely efficient magazine reload, but poor accuracy.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
This weapon deals primarily Impact damage.
- High Impact damage – effective against shields.
- Good critical chance.
- Very fast reload speed.
- Tied with Viper Wraith for fastest fire rate of all single-handed pistols.
- Good accuracy.
- Can use the Viper-exclusive Skull Shots and Stinging Truth mods.
- Innate polarity.
- Low Puncture damage – less effective against armor.
- Low critical multiplier and status chance.
- Small magazine size.
- Combined with its very fast fire rate results in frequent reloading.
- Inefficient ammo economy.
- Viper, compared to Twin Vipers:
- Viper, compared to Viper Wraith:
- Lower base damage (17.0 vs. 18.0)
- Lower critical chance (15% vs. 19%)
- Lower critical multiplier (1.5x vs. 2x)
- Higher status chance (11% vs. 9%)
- Smaller magazine (14 rounds vs. 20 rounds)
- Faster reload speed (0.7 s vs. 0.8 s)
- Less accurate (15 vs. 29)
- Different polarities ( vs. )
- Higher disposition (1.45 vs. 1.4)
Acquisition[edit | edit source]
The Viper's blueprint can be purchased from the Market.
|Time: 12 hrs|
|Market Price: 75||Blueprints Price:20,000|
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Although it is not recommended for long range fighting, correctly aiming and tapping the trigger will expend 1-2 bullets at once, and you may get a decent critical or headshot rate by doing this.
- This may be done more comfortably by making a secondary keybind for firing on mouse wheel. It shall also allow to fire in a way Shield Lancers do.
- Using the Pistol Ammo Mutation mod can help regain lost ammo when needed. Alternatively, use Pistol Scavenger aura or bring along Squad Ammo Restore.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Viper was released on the 18th of March, 2013 with Update 7.0.
- On the Viper's barrel, the word , which translates to "Viper" is inscribed in the Grineer Language. In earlier versions of the game this line of text was which translates to "Serberus", probably indicating an earlier name for the gun. The Viper's UI icon still shows a Viper with "Serberus" inscribed on it.
- The Viper(s) uniquely has a distinct sound when its trigger is released. This could be a mechanism used to stop the bullet feed or to halt the cyclic action.
- Until Update 17.0, Shield Lancers fired their Vipers in three-round bursts, a holdover from when Shield Lancers used to be equipped with the Sicarus.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- When equipped by Banshee, the Viper will clip entirely inside her fingers when in idle animation.
Media[edit | edit source]
Patch History[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
- Viper Wraith, the Wraith counterpart.
- Twin Vipers, the akimbo counterpart.
- Twin Vipers Wraith, the Wraith akimbo counterpart.