- 1 Overview
- 2 Abilites and Augments review
- 3 Starchart missions
- 4 Solo-ing with Frost
- 5 Builds
- 6 Specter
tl;dr : buff DPS, buff shield, debuff armor, slowing down up to frozen enemies, and proc immunity.
(Blog update : 2021-10-19, Warframe 30.7)
Abilites and Augments review
Add to any ally (including self) a 100% freeze damage bonus during 40 seconds, can be further increased using ability mods. It does not boost abilities damage, only weapons. The increase in team DPS is useful IF their weapons is modded accordingly !
Ice Wave Impedance
Creates an ice "carpet" to slows down enemies. For Frost, it is redundant with Snow Globe movement malus, moreover it is a time-limited feature. Ice Wave Impedance depends on the Ice Wave ability that can be subsumed to Helminth. Thus, this ability+augment combo can be used on any other frame. Wiki tips says this combo is useful on melee-focused enemies like infested.
A 50% chance to freeze any enemy entering the globe. A good crowd control ability when solo-ing. Less interesting in a team where kill rate is fast enough.
Gives an "overshield" buff, proc and knockdown immunity to the team depending on how many enemies are hit. It does not remove active proc though. the proc immunity includes grineer barrier and corpus laser (excluding those in Data Vault of Spy missions). A range-build is recommended for maximal effectiveness. Once the damage absorbtion dies, the proc and knockdown immunity disappear. Quite nice but only for mission below level 25, else the bonus is quickly removed (damage received is not mitigated). I read in another guide that it is useful nevertheless during some boss fight.
How and when use Frost Abilities. Sorted by usefulness.
- With Freeze Force Augment (aka "FF"): boosting cold damage of all weapons, for self and teammates.
- Blowing up Snow Globe : not really useful, unless the globe blocks friendly fire or to knockdown enemies in and around the globe.
- AoE movement slowdown (when aiming to the ground) : almost never used for that
- Freezing one target : hard to aim and actually hit your target. It does not freeze bosses or capture target, only guarantee the cold proc on them.
- Killing stuff behind walls or doors : occasional use, but quite costly energy-wise.
- With Ice Wave Impedance : never tried. Wiki said it is useful against melee-focused enemies.
- Protecting immobile target : unstretched, maxed power and maxed armor for a long-standing and low-cost Globe.
- Protecting self in "panic" situation, while reviving fallen mates, hacking or any action alike under enemy fire.
- Offensive Snow Globe : a special max-ranged build to maximise damage effect when enemies are pushed against wall. Without any special build, the damage effect is the same but less enemies will get caught.
- Solo, protecting target : using Chilling Globe augment helps for crowd control
- Mass killing in low-tier and mid-tier missions : at 200% range and power, it cleans quickly an area as wide as the mini-map.
- Enemies debuff and freezing : at high-tier missions, the armor debuff is helping alot. Also, for bow or sniper-only missions, frozen targets are easier to hit. For end-game missions, Snow Globe is quickly destroyed : defense mission requires also to freeze the enemies waves, reducing incoming damage and buying time to kill them.
- With Icy Avalanche Augment : altough the proc/knockdown immunity is nice, the overall low shielding and crowd requirement make it hard to use, niche only (help rushing low level mission, protecting low level mates, or assassination mission).
When, and when not using Frost. Mission type not listed here where not tested enough to comment. Following list is for TEAM play. Please refer to solo chapter if you plan to solo with Frost.
- Defense : one target to protect with the Snow Globe
- Extraction : one Frost can handle 3 extractors (3 Snow Globes) at once (using Chilling Globe augment can help)
- Mobile Defense : usually 3 targets to protect, Snow Globe doing the job. Beware for Sortie : mobile Defense is actually a VIP defense. Instead of Snow Globe, one should use Avalanche to stop and debuff all enemies within vicinity.
- Perturbation : protecting target with Snow Globe, slowing down the Demolyst with a increased-range Globe or Ice Wave Impedance augment.
- Interception : Snow Globe at each flag slows down enemies, but requires all teammate to be aware of the tactic. Adding Chiling Globe Augment will buy some times to rush from one flag to another. Blowing up the Snow Globe will also buy some seconds when an enemy captures back (knocking it down).
- Capture : in high-tier missions, casting Snow Globe while capturing reduce hazard
- Survival : in high-tier missions, casting on self a Snow Globe while using life support reduce hazard. It also create a mobile bunker or rally point for the team to share their buffs.
- Sabotage : some sabotage mission requires to protect some target for a couple minutes. Snow Globe job.
- Assassination : Frost can solo many bosses. For the other, the defensive/support role of Frost must be weighted with the combination of other teammates' abilities. See related bosses fight guides.
- Extermination : altough Avalanche could kill many at once, the energy usage is too high and "one-shot" is possible against enemy below lvl25. An effective build would reduce Frost survivability. Also, Frost is a slow warframe and your teammates will wait for you
- Rescue : almost no point using Frost, besides protection while hacking
- Spy : absolutely no point using Frost
Solo-ing with Frost
Frost is a tanky frame that can survive easily all missions below lvl80 without maxed common mods, His Snow Globe is used as an emergency ability to survive ambush or bad luck situation, and providing shielding to deal with waves of enemies (both defense-like and survival missions). The other abilities+augment will self-buff himself (Freeze Force or Icy Avalanche) or slows down targets, even bosses, making most assassination mission solo-able.
Main difference of build with Frost is to use the Rejuvenation aura for high-tier and above mission, increasing his survivability.
Frost relies on the Armor stat for its main ability, so builds usually emphase around Armor and HP stat, and ignore shield mod(s) to save a slot.
Recommended mod table
Ordered by difficulty to gather
Toughest Snow Globe
There is many good guides around to build a rock-solid Snow Globe. Let's not copy them here.
A mass-kill Avalanche, power and high-range focused build, at the cost of a reduced freeze effect.
Against toughest enemies, an Avalanche power-focused to maximise armor debuff.
Super large Snow Globe
Creates a very large Globe, useful to repel a lot of enemies, halving their HP thanks to the True damage if they hit obstacle when pushed away.
- 2 Madurai slot
- 3 Namaron slot,
- 1 Vazarin slot, for mod, or mod
- 1 Zenurik slot, for Frost Augment mod or Drift mod
- Aura mod if possible for aura stance, else Namaron
Frost as a specter provide a nice support : once Frost specter loose 50% health, it will cast a Snow Globe. Ask the specter to stay when he's standing near a target and it may cast a protective Snow Globe after some time. This feature is intersting if soloing defense mission without being a Frost.
There is no special recommandation for the specter gear. I personally set an automatic rifle to let the specter engage mid-to-close range.