The almighty Khora, if built a certain way, is able to be built into an extremely adaptable multi-purpose combat frame with an astounding combination of toughness, speed, damage output and tactical logistics, and is also more capable than most Warframes at making very special use of a Sentinel with a Helstrum equipped as a status primer. The below build is fully Steel-Path viable, as well as virtually every other possible game mode. Be warned, this is a very expensive, slow to make build that uses quite a number of Formas, Reactors and Catalysts, since to really make it work you aren't just setting up Khora; you're setting up 4 separate mod platforms before you even start considering weapons.
- HELMINTH SKILL TRANSFER: Energized Munitions to replace Ensnare, her least useful ability. This makes a select handful of primary and secondary weapons VASTLY more powerful, and you won't have to rely so much on a pure Melee bleed-build.
- AURA: Corrosive Projection
- EXILUS: Primed Sure Footed. I have a heavy preference for AoE weapons, so complete Self-Stagger immunity is a must. The immunity to knockdowns from enemy grappling lines and AoE blasts is a big plus too for keeping the combat flow going.
- Umbral Fiber, Umbral Vitality, Umbral Intensify, for a very solid toughness and Ability boost.
- Hunter Adrenaline, for a vital constant Energy supply.
- Blind Rage, Primed Continuity, Carnis Carapace and Adaptation to round out the set.
This gives an excellent blend of toughness and ability power. You end up with 1450 health, 969 armor (76.3% damage reduction), and a 176% increase to ability strength, as well as the powerful damage reduction from Adaptation.
No matter what you put on Venari, she will never be able to match the damage output Khora can do with her weapons. So damage output is skipped completely, and Venari is focused into a pure healing and logistics platform and she is kept in Heal mode at all times. And she is VERY good at it. For starters, with the Umbral Intensify and Blind Rage maxed on Khora above, Venari's Healing aura goes to 138 HP/second (which, remember, affects Khora, Venari, your other Companion, any team-mates and their Companions, Defense/Defection targets...EVERYTHING except Necramechs and Operators), and her passive sprint speed buff to Khora becomes 41%; a sprint boost that is stronger than the effect of any other single Mod. As for the mods on Venari directly (note, this does need an Orokin Reactor):
- Primed Animal Instinct. This STACKS with the same mod on your normal Companion (and it can be the exact same mod so you don't need to obtain and upgrade it twice), giving Khora a MASSIVE loot and enemy radar that no other Warframe can match.
- Fetch, very handy for ammo and critical item pickups
- Pack Leader, or the Primed version, though given her healing aura also affects herself Venari doesn't crucially need it
- Link Armor, Link Health, Link Shields. Given Khora's build above, the first two give a stronger effect than Enhanced Vitality and Metal Fiber, and the third gives Venari some shield-gating ability for defense. Venari ends up with 3292 health, 1416 armor and 330 shields.
- Territorial Aggression to help in hunts in the three Fields
- Whatever you please for the 8th Mod slot, however supplemental attacks like Sharpened Claws and Pounce are NOT recommended; not only will this make Venari get stuck in terrain more frequently, when she uses such an attack she will move away from Khora often far enough to be out of healing range, leaving Khora vulnerable to incoming damage.
The main use of a Companion is to be able to use the Helstrum. A Sentinel is preferred over a Moa since Moas get stuck in terrain far too often for my liking (which is impossible for Sentinels), and unlike Venari a Moa cannot be warped back to your position unless you use the Helminth Masters Summons, which is not worth sacrificing Energized Munitions. The choice of specific Sentinel isn't too important. I prefer Helios/Prime for the use of Investigator and Detect Vulnerability, but the self-resurrecting Djinn is also a solid choice. For the mods:
- Primed Animal Instinct. As mentioned above, stacks with the one on Venari for a massive radar
- Medi-Ray, for even more healing in a pinch
- Metal Fiber, Enhanced Vitality to make it as health-tough as possible and make maximum use of Venari's heal aura
- Primed Regen, as an emergency backup
- Assault Mode or its replacement if you have a longer-ranged sentinel
- Whatever strikes your fancy for the final slots, typically dependent on which Sentinel you chose
Most players effectively sacrifice one of their Primary or Secondary weapons to be a status effect primer, typically in prep for using a Melee weapon in a heavy Bleed setup. However, the Helstrum is capable of being turned into an EXCELLENT primer, if you simply ignore its raw damage output. And by having the Helstrum as your primer you can dedicate all three of your weapons to damage-dealing, in three distinct flavors of your choosing for different situations. I prefer it as a Viral/Heat primer, for the excellent health damage boost from Viral combined with an armor drop from Heat. I have seen the below put an entire squad of enemies into the max 10 Viral procs and have them indefinitely writhing on fire within less than 2 seconds (Note, this will require an Orokin Catalyst):
- Split Chamber
- Vigilante Armaments
- Speed Trigger
- Vile Acceleration
- Malignant Force
- Rime Rounds
- Rifle Aptitude
- Primed Firestorm
This puts out a usually 10-missile burst at 93% proc chance every 1.76 seconds, with a near 5m AoE per missile that also pierces through cover. And even though its raw damage output numbers are absolute garbage, the Viral and Heat procs it creates on a target are strong enough for it to still kill even level 30 enemies, and (BE WARNED), Cephalon Simaris Synthesis targets; the Heat procs are good for temporarily stunning the Synthesis targets in place but GET THOSE SCANS IN QUICKLY, before the Helstrum can kill it.
This is more of a general set of guidelines, but built upon the configuration above.
- For your Melee weapon choose whatever you already please, though do remember that your Melee weapon mods also boost the effect of Khora's Whipclaw ability which has a 176% strength increase from Khora's configuration.
- For your Secondary weapon, I've found the Akarius to be astounding, and one of the best weapons in the game for taking advantage of the Energized Munitions skill. TONS of damage output, wide AoE, long range guidance...you can sprint through entire missions dropping entire squadrons in an eyeblink without even slowing down. This is my go-to weapon for everything lower-level, and when Toxin-fitted it even shreds Steel Path Corpus astoundingly fast. I typically default it to a Corrosive build for the proc, then just crank on the damage. But any other suitable run-and-gun secondary can do nicely for you too.
- For your Primary weapon, this could be a heavy hitter and possible to inflict Bleeds through Hunter Munitions making it a Steel-Path viable ranged weapon against armored enemies. The Kuva Tonkor and Stahlta are excellent choices for these, with the former also being one of the few weapons that GREATLY benefit from Hunter Munitions.
The above Khora and supporters build make you fast, tough, extremely damaging, heal yourself and nearly everything around you for 12 times the strength of Nidus's self regeneration, and see every enemy and key loot item from ridiculously far away. It will serve you well in any game mode you choose.