The is an intriguing melee weapon for two key reasons. First, it is one of the three long-range melee types (a Warfan, the other two being Gunblades and Glaives). Second, its long range attack has a guaranteed bleeding proc. The only other long-range melee weapon that can claim the same is the which is a lot more difficult to obtain and can't spam its throws due to the out-and-return mechanics of glaives.
The following is a build intended to maximize constant use of the Quassus thrown blades for the bleed instead of the basic attacks.
UPDATED JAN 6, to replace broken Condition Overload
NOTE, for this build, if you're willing to sacrifice 2 points in a lesser importance mod you can max everything else with a potato and 4 standard Forma in the right places, otherwise you'll need a 5th to fully max it.
The build is as follows:
- Stance: Whatever you please, and can get a copy of, based on how you like the moves, I currently have
- , Forma'd
- , Forma'd
- , Forma'd, only upgrade this to level 8 to max the build with just 4 Forma.
- , doesn't actually contribute to damage but the constant use of the throw will give you endless, massive self healing.
- For the final mod use one of the Smite faction mods, like , depending on what you're facing. Forma this slot as well.
KEY NOTE: Sacrificial Steel needs a key consideration, since this build relies on always using the Heavy attack throw for the daggers, Sacrificial Steel's effect is DOUBLED to a 550% boost, so on the base 30% crit chance of the Quassus this is cranked up to a 196.5% crit chance. Given that many tougher enemies with special stacking Damage Reduction defence like Sisters of Parvos don't quite properly account for Critical hits in this defence, this can be a key way of helping punch through the damage reduction.
One final factor, Warframe abilities are not considered in the below damage calculations but some will also multiply both the base damage and bleed further, such as Roar which can be transferred via the Helminth.
The Damage Factors
To aid with all the damage math, the corresponding factors are the following:
- TOTAL DAMAGE PER THROW = BASE DAMAGE x BASE DAMAGE MULTIPLIER x CRITICAL MULTIPLIER x FACTION MULTIPLIER x VIRAL MULTIPLIER x COMBO MULTIPLIER
- BASE DAMAGE PER THROW (all daggers on same target): 2280
- BASE DAMAGE MULTIPLIER = Sacrificial Pressure + Killing Blow = 137.5% + 120% = 3.575 multiplier
- CRITICAL MULTIPLIER = (Total Critical Damage-1) x (Total Crit Chance) +1 = (2 x 1.85-1) x 1.965 + 1 = 6.3055
- FACTION MULTIPLIER = 1.3
- VIRAL MULTIPLIER (full 10 stacks) = 4.25
- COMBO MULTIPLIER = 2, Corrupt Charge still regenerates fast enough to get to a 2x combo even with the sped up throws
TOTAL DAMAGE PER THROW (all daggers hit the same target) = 2280 x 3.575 x 6.305 x 1.3 x 4.25 x 2 = 567,882.21. Though note that base damage resistances to Slash, stacking damage reduction, armor etc will reduce this. If you don't have every dagger hit the same target, you then split it further by 12 daggers on the first throw and 6 on the second in a two-throw combo (so 47,323.5 per dagger on the first, 94,647.1 on the second)
As for throwing speed, with a maxed Killing Blow and Amalgam Organ Shatter you'll be throwing roughly once every 1.2 seconds, though note even when spamming the heavy attack button enemy weapons fire may cause you to do the occasional shot deflection, which will slightly delay the next throw.
The final key factor, Bleed ignores armor. Bleed damage is Total Damage x Faction Multiplier (again) x 0.35. And since the Quassus has a guaranteed bleed on the thrown daggers, mods that boost Status Chance (crucial for many normal melee builds) were completely unnecessary (and as shown above, skipped), as well as any damage mods that have no effect on the strength of a bleed (namely Elemental mods and direct + Slash mods)
- BLEED TICK (single throw, all daggers on one target) = 258,386
- BLEED TICK (single dagger) = 21,532 first throw, 43,064 second throw
With Lasting Sting, repeated strikes against the same heavy target can build up a very significant total bleed.
You end up with a 35m range melee weapon, with 2.5m punch-through for walls and what appears to be unlimited punch through on enemies, that can inflict heavy bleeds bypassing armor and various specialty defences on tougher enemies.