“Orokin secrets cannot remain secret forever! Start talking!”The following article/section is conjecture. Content is subjected to change/removal as the game progresses. Please do not use this article for critical in-game information.
Up-to-date as of Update 29.3. Cephalon Scientia 19:26, October 27, 2020 (UTC)
“You're not supposed to be in here! You're going to ruin the surprise!”The following section contains spoilers.
Timeline of major events in the WARFRAME universe up to present-day. Timeline is subject to change due to unreliable narrators in the game.
Game trailers, removed content, and holiday events are of dubious canonicity so they are not included in this timeline. All quest chronological orders are based on their release date if their proper chronological order is unknown or unclear. The timeline does not consider the order in which the main player may participate in the optional side quests.
Any mention of time is assumed to reference Earth years, though it is unclear what unit of measurement the Origin System uses to measure time.
*Unofficial name of a particular time period
†Speculation on the exact chronological order of this event (events may happen in parallel since we do not know exact order)
‡Expired limited-time content (reserved for Events and Alerts)
¤Repeated or reoccuring events
Events that are boxed in denote closely related events that happen sequentially after another. However, other unrelated events can happen in parallel.
- Orokin Empire established millennia before current-day events.
- Ayatan Sculptures created.
- Pure-breed Orokin achieved immortality through a process called Continuity.†
- Orokin Empire controls the Origin System.
- Grineer clones created to serve the Orokin.
- Events in The Tenets fragments.†
- Corpus Board of Directors established.†
- MOA technology created.†
Technological advancements (in no particular order, may even have happened before Orokin Era)
- Cephalons created by Nihil.†
- Parts of Earth became unhabitable due to its toxic atmosphere.†
- The Orokin start looking for ways to carry out "The Plan", a contingency plan to relocate the Orokin Empire to more hospitable and plentiful star system, namely the Tau System.†
- Infestation strain developed and experimented on.†
- First instances of Infested outbreaks in the Orokin System.†
- Research into Infestation halted.†
- Kubrows domesticated and genetically modified to suit Orokin needs.†
- Orokin Towers developed using advancements in biotechnology.†
- Orokin terraforming effort on Venus via Weeping Towers delivering coolant to the Venusian surface.†
- Discovery of the Void.
- Void research enclave Necralisk established on Deimos.†
- Albrecht Entrati created the Heart to channel Void energy into the real world.†
- Advancements in space travel.†
Other events involving the Void
- Solar Rails developed using Void technology.
- Torsion Beam Devices and Void Keys developed to create portals between planets and the Void.
- Void Relics developed to store valuable Orokin artifacts.†
- Archmedian Perintol introduced his concept of Sentient machines to The Seven as recorded in Detron Crewman Synthesis imprint.
- Sentients created and deployed to build Solar Rails to the Tau System, starting from the Outer Terminus on Pluto.
- Sentients evolved to have a consciousness and sentience.
The Old War
Beginning of The Old War
- Sentients start invading the Orokin System.
- A Grineer worker killed Sentient fighter and its genes were used in the creation of new militarized Grineer clones as documented in the Lancer Synthesis imprint.
- Corpus went into the business of war-profiteering, developing and selling military technology.
- The Railjack manned by Cephalon Cy and his Dax crew is destroyed during a battle as recalled during Rising Tide.
- Orokin twin sisters were born according to Kuria poem.
- An Archmedian sacrificed her life to become Cephalon Suda according to What Remains comic.†
- Necramechs created to fight against the Sentients.
- Infestation experiments resumed.†
- Creation of a Infested creature now known as Lephantis.†
Creation of Warframes
Warframes involvement in the Orokin Empire (in no particular order)
- Most Warframe variants, including their Primes, created at this time.†
- Mass production of Warframes.†
- Mythology of Warframes created by the Orokin and lower castes of Orokin society due to their mystery and power.†
- Early Entrati expeditions into the Void, possibly using Warframes. Used Warframes probably made up today's Xaku.†
- Silvana created the Titania Warframe.†
- Silvana sacrificed herself, performing Transference onto the trees of Earth, becoming The Silver Grove.†
- Ordan Karris, a mercenary for the Orokin, is killed and revived by Ballas to become Cephalon Ordis, serving the Tenno.†
- Two forgotten Warframes died at the hands of the Orokin Warframe hunter, the Myrmidon.†
- Ivara killed the Myrmidon and met the criteria to be mass-produced by the Orokin.†
- Gauss is deployed to reclaim the Orokin Tower, Altra, on Ceres.†
- Atlas quelled the Telemon cult on Earth who was preaching of a divine power greater than the Orokin.†
- Ash freed the DeNas family's children from the Orokin school of political assassination, The Scoria.†
- Nova prevented the Orokin vessel Masker's Theodolite from imploding under the notorious criminal Holsom Yurr.†
- Inaros helped the Orokin kidnap children from a Martian colony according to the events in Sands of Inaros.†
- Limbo made a miscalculation in entering the Rift Plane, scattering his Warframe parts across the Origin System.†
- Rell sacrificed himself to bound his soul to his Warframe Harrow. Harrow was chained up to serve as a ward against The Man In The Wall.†
- Warframes deployed to control Infested outbreaks.†
- Inaros saved a Martian colony from an Infested outbreak.†
- Archwing technology developed.†
- Sentinels discovered by Tenno explorers.†
Near the end of the war
- Mirage dies during a battle with the Sentients as mentioned in Hidden Messages.†
- Mag Prime, along with a Dax crew, travels to the Tau System via Solar Rails as recorded in her Codex entry.†
- Hunhow dies in a battle above the waters of Uranus.
End of The Old War
Anarchy in the Origin System
- The Orokin Empire slowly collapsed as descent groups try to claim Orokin technology and territory.
- Grineer faction is led by the Orokin twin sisters.†
- Orokin cloning technology acquired by the Grineer.†
- Grendel killed Executor Karishh in the city of Riddha on Europa.†
- Nezha killed Corpus raiders during the Massacre of Reshantur.†
- Events of the opening cutscene in Awakening.
- Ballas disappeared without a trace.†
- Mass diaspora by the Ostron people.
- Events of the "Tale of the Woman of the Earth and the Husband of the Sea".†
- Ostron people founded the colony Cetus under the protection of the Unum Tower.†
- The Quills were founded, serving the Unum Tower.†
Other events related to the Infestation
- Another major Infestation outbreak after Orokin ships were abandoned.†
- Events of Corrupted Ancient Synthesis imprint.†
- Relief mission by a group of Dax soldiers and Lorist Ontella on the city of New Uxmal, now overtaken by the Infested.
- Cephalon Jordas and his crew aboard the 3rd Class Frigate overrun by the Infested as mentioned in Runner Synthesis fragment.†
- Jordas and his ship became Jordas Golem.†
- Atlas was defeated while fighting Jordas Golem.†
- The Infestation was left isolated in Orokin Derelicts or other containment locations, hindering its spread and development.†
Skirmishes between Grineer and Corpus factions
- Events of Anti MOA Synthesis imprint.
- Grineer raids Corpus Umpal's ship.
Establishment of factions as we see in the present-day
- Excessive cloning by the Grineer led to the faction experiencing Cloning Decay Syndrome.
- Galleon ships developed by the Grineer.
- Kuva Fortress established by the Grineer.
- Obelisk, Stanchion, and Pillar ship models developed by the Corpus.
- Frohd Bek leads the Corpus Board of Directors.
- The last of his kind, Dax Teshin survives the events of The Collapse.
- Grineer with genetic defects disobeyed their Queens, forming the Steel Meridian faction.†
- New Loka founded, believing in restoring pure humanity through repopulating Earth and uncorrupting the tainted.†
- Arbiters of Hexis founded, rejecting the Tenno mythology and believing they are something greater, worshipping them as a result.†
- Ergo Glast defects from the Corpus, forming The Perrin Sequence.†
- Domesticated Kubrows became feral.
State of the Origin System before the player's involvement
- The Grineer eventually controlled Mercury, Earth, Ceres, Saturn, and Sedna.
- The Corpus eventually controlled Venus, Phobos, Jupiter, Europa, Eris, Neptune, and Pluto.
- Mars became a contested area between Grineer and Corpus, with the Grineer having dominant forces in the area.
The Great Awakening*
Events prior to the main player's awakening
- Lotus reawakens the Tenno and their Warframes from cryosleep after centuries to restore balance in the Orokin System.
The playable WARFRAME universe since the inception of the game
- Events of Awakening.
- Events of Vor's Prize.
- Vor fails to capture the player's Warframe with the Ascaris bolt.
- Events of Fusion MOA Event.‡
- Corpus developed Fusion MOA using Orokin technology.
- Events of Artifact Defense Event.‡
- Orokin-era artifacts were under threat, leading the Lotus to send Tenno to defend them.
- Events of Informant Event.‡
- Grineer developed Informer surveillance drones.
- A Grineer raid on a Martian colony kills Baro Ki'Teer's mother.†
- Fomorian ships created by the Grineer.†
- Events of Operation Sling-Stone.‡
- Grineer deploys their new Fomorian-class ships to attack the Corpus after a disagreement in their contract.
- Using Infested material, the Tenno successfully corrupted the power cores of these Fomorian ships, destroying them in the process.
- The Tenno gain access to Orokin Towers in the Void.
- Tenno Clans created and secret Clan Dojos constructed.
- Events of Operation: Arid Fear.‡
- Events of The Gradivus Dilemma.‡
- The Corpus Alad V discovered a cache of Warframe cryopods on Gradivus, Mars and wanted to use it in his Zanuka Project.
- The Grineer retaliates against the Corpus for a supposed contract violation, using it as an excuse to grow their power.
- After a six-day war, with the help of the Tenno, the Grineer is victorious.
- Alad V retreats after losing funding from Corpus Board of Directors.
- Events of Once Awake.†
- The Grineer discovers a strain of the Infestation from The Old War and performs experiments on it on Mercury.
- Infested outbreak occurs after a failure in containment.
- The Tenno successfully stops the Infestation from spreading, temporarily, using a Cascade Bomb on the source of its outbreak.
- Events of The Hunt for Alad V.‡
- Alad V founded and dissected a Valkyr Warframe for his Zanuka Project.
- Frohd Bek sent ships to Jupiter to kill Alad V but these ships have been taken over by Infested.
- The Tenno helped clear the Infested from Bek's ships and received coordinates to Alad V's laboratory.
- Alad V is assassinated (but survives) and Valkyr is saved, ruining the Zanuka Project.
- Events of A Favor For Darvo alert.‡
- The Stalker takes control over Darvo's ship and Darvo asks the Tenno a favor to get rid of him.
- The Tenno reparticipate in Grineer/Corpus Invasions since The Gradivus Dilemma.¤
- Events of The Cicero Crisis.‡
- The Grineer develops a toxin to destroy the forests of Earth. Vay Hek plans to use the Cicero Toxin to clear territory for Grineer settlements.
- The Tenno thwart Vay Hek's efforts in developing this toxin, preserving Earth's forests.
- Events of Operation: Oxium Espionage.‡
- Events of Ties That Bind alert.‡
- Darvo is locked up by his father Frohd Bek for refusing to accept a position on the Corpus Board of Directors.
- The Tenno rescues Darvo from prison.
- Events of Tethra's Doom.‡
- Vay Hek is rebuilding the Fomorian fleet on shipyards on Ceres.
- The Tenno is tasked by the Lotus to hijack their Fomorian Power Cores, slowing down the development of Fomorian ships.
- The Tenno discovers Vay Hek's location on Earth and attempts to assassinate him, but Vay Hek escapes.
- Events of Specters of Liberty.‡
- A member of the Red Veil asks the Tenno to help them free their people from Grineer and Corpus prisons in exchange for Specter technology.
- Events of Suspicious Shipments alerts.‡
- The Lotus discovers that Alad V has been researching the Infestation after his failure with the Zanuka Project.
- Vor is assassinated and is revived by his Janus Key, becoming Corrupted Vor.†
- Corrupted Vor would eventually travel to the Void and reside there.†
- Events of Operation: Breeding Grounds.‡
- Alad V revealed his new Infested creation: hive organisms designed to further the spread of the Infestation.
- A massive Infested outbreak near Eris occurred, making the Infestation the ruling faction over the planet.
- The Tenno tried to destroy these hives on Alad V's ships to lessen the spread to other planets.
- Events of Hidden Messages.
- The Tenno discover Mirage's blueprints.
- Events of Avalanche Offensive.‡
- Red Veil tasked the Tenno to take out Corpus Eximi on Mars.
- Events of Operation: Cryotic Front.‡
- Events of Operation: Gate Crash.‡
- Vay Hek also learned about the whereabouts of Archwing tech and proceeded to intercept them before the Tenno.
- The Tenno travels through Orokin portals on Orokin Derelicts to steal Void Keys, crippling Vay Hek's access to Orokin portals.
- Events of The Archwing.
- Vay Hek declares war on the Corpus with the capital ship of the Grineer's Fomorian fleet, the Balor Fomorian.
- The Tenno acquires blueprints of Orokin-era Archwing technology.
- The Tenno fails to sabotage the Balor Fomorian and tactically retreats from the battleship.
- Events of The Limbo Theorem.
- The Tenno discovers Limbo's blueprints.
- Events of Howl of the Kubrow.
- The Tenno incubates and domesticates their own Kubrow using genes from Feral Kubrows on Earth.
- Events of Operation: Mutalist Incursions.‡
- Alad V became infected by his Mutalist strain of the Infestation, becoming Mutalist Alad V.
- This new strain of Infestation is able to corrupt and control inorganic units.
- Events of Patient Zero.
- The Tenno encounters a Mesa Warframe controlled by Alad and puts her down.
- The Tenno triangulated Mutalist Alad V's location on Eris and assassinated him (he miraculously survived, however), putting an end to his Infestation research.
- Cephalon Jordas became infected by the Infestation, presumably due to the Mutalist strain.†
- Tenno Relays built.
- Events of Operation: Eyes of Blight.‡
- Vay Hek sends his Balor Fomorian fleet to attack the newly built Tenno relays. Vesper Relay on Venus is his first target.
- The Tenno fends off the Balor Fomorians, losing some relays in the process.
- Events of Stolen Dreams.
- Events of The New Strange.
- Events of Operation: False Profit.‡
- Nef Anyo creates the Bursa model of MOAs to collect offerings from his followers, effectively scamming them.
- The Tenno attempts to bankrupt Nef by hacking these Bursas.
- Events of Operation: Tubemen of Regor.‡
- Alad V regrets his decision of creating a new breed of Infestation and begged the Tenno to help him find a cure in Tyl Regor's cloning labs.
- Nef Anyo wants Alad V dead to consolidate his power, offering Tenno rewards for sabotaging the cure Alad seeks.
- Ultimately, Alad V gets cured of the Infestation.
The Second Dream*
The Tenno and Hunhow's awakening
- Oculyst drones discovered scanning for Hunhow's remains on Uranus.
- Events of Natah.
- Tyl Regor discovers a Sentient tomb on Uranus and attempts to excavate it.
- Hunhow is reawakened by the Tyl Regor after entering his tomb.
- The Tenno assassinates Tyl Regor after a challenge for disturbing his 'tubemen'.
- Events of A Man of Few Words.
- The Tenno saves a defected Grineer named Clem from prison and helps Darvo retrieve an Orokin relic.
- Events of The Jordas Precept.
- Maroo's Bazaar established.
- Events of The Second Dream.
- Stalker sides with Hunhow to hunt down the Tenno, becoming the Shadow Stalker.
- Alad V teams up with the Tenno to find Hunhow's corpse on Uranus.
- Lua is brought back from the Void.
- The Tenno realizes their true form as a child.
- Shadow Stalker is defeated on the Orbiter.
- The Tenno meets the Lotus for the first time since they slept and remembers their Focus school.
- Events of Operation: Shadow Debt.‡
- Alad V is being hunted by the Stalker's Acolytes, sharing his desire for retribution of the Tenno's betrayal.
- The Tenno successfully protected Alad V from these adversaries.
- Events of Divine Will Tactical Alert.‡
- Nef Anyo's corporation develops Razorback proxy prototypes and invites the Tenno to take them down.
- Events of Sands of Inaros.
- Events of Operation: Rathuum.‡
- Events of The Silver Grove.
- New Raptors production facility on Europa emerged. The Tenno is sent to dispose of it.
The Tenno realizes their true power
- Events of The War Within.
- The Tenno discover the Kuva Fortress.
- The Grineer Queens lure the Tenno into their lair and tries to take over their body.
- The Tenno relearn their Void-related powers thanks to Teshin.
- The Tenno is able to perform Transference without the use of the Somatic Link.
- Elder Queen is killed by the Tenno or Teshin.
- The Tenno consumes or disposes of the Kuva in the Broken Scepter and encounters The Man In The Wall for the first time.
- Worm Queen starts deploying Kuva Siphons throughout the Origin System to collect Kuva.
- Events of The Glast Gambit.
- The Tenno gain access to the Helminth Infirmary of their Orbiter, after being exposed to a Helminth Cyst from Nidus.
- Events of Operation: The Pacifism Defect.‡
- Events of Octavia's Anthem.
- Events of Operation: Ambulas Reborn.‡
- Frohd Bek uses Ergo Glast's invention, the Amino Processor, to augment his Ambulas proxies.
- The Tenno triangulated the Ambulas' production facility on Pluto and destroys them along with Frohd's capital ship.
- Events of Chains of Harrow.
- The Red Veil faction is in disarray after Rell fled the Veil's temple due to failures in his Transference with his Warframe.
- The Tenno released Harrow from its chains allowing Rell to rest in slumber after protecting the Tenno from The Man In The Wall for centuries.
- The Man In The Wall manifested on the Orbiter.
Events on the Plains of Eidolon
The Lotus leaves the Tenno
- Events of Apostasy Prologue.
- Ballas reappeared in the Origin System.
- Lotus abandoned her command post with Ballas, leaving behind her helmet.
- Events of The Sacrifice.
- The Tenno tames Excalibur Umbra via a successful Transference.
- Excalibur Umbra kills Ballas with the help of the Tenno.
- Natah appears in her true form and revived Ballas.
- Events of The Pyrus Project.‡
- Cressa Tal leads the effort in rebuilding the destroyed Tenno relays.
- The Tenno defeats General Sargas Ruk on the rebuilt relay.
- Events of Chimera Prologue.
- Ballas became amalgamized with Sentients.
- Amalgamized Ballas gives the Tenno the idea of the Sentient slayer, the Paracesis.
Events on the Orb Vallis
The Sentients prepare for The New War
- Nora Night makes her debut in the Origin System, broadcasting on the radio station Nightwave.
- Corpus Gas Cities remodeled and revamped.
- Events of Partnership fragments.
- Alad V is tricked into developing Sentient Amalgam units for Natah.
- Ropalolyst sent to watch over Alad V's gas cities on Jupiter.
- Events of Nightwave: Series 1 - The Wolf of Saturn Six.
- Wolf of Saturn Six and his Saturn Six Fugitives escape from the Saturn Six Max-Pen.
- The Wolf was lured by Alad V and became amalgamized by a Sentient helmet.
- The Wolf eventually got the helmet off and disappeared.
- Events of Operation: Hostile Mergers.‡
- Sentient Amalgams are deployed into battle.
- Ropalolyst boss fight.
- Natah reveals that she had seen The Man In The Wall.
- The Tenno successfully assassinates the Ropalolyst.
- Events of Nightwave: Series 2 - The Emissary.
- Outcast Kenga meets Arlo on Eris, discovering his healing touch, curing Kenga of the Infested.
- Arlo became known as The Emissary of Eris, founding a group of loyal Devotees to spread his 'healing' word.
- Arlo was revealed to be Infested himself, turning his followers into Zealots with hardened Infested armor.
- These Zealots evolved into Zealoids, Infested creatures that have overtaken their human hosts and evolved to speak.
- The Tenno assassinates the Zealoid Prelate, hiding about derelict Orokin ships.
- Drusus makes his first debut in the Origin System, introducing the Leverian galleries with Gauss.
- The Worm Queen collects enough Kuva to unleash Kuva Liches across the Origin System.
- Events of Rising Tide.
- The Tenno construct Cephalon Cy and builds their own Railjack.
- Sentients try to stop the Tenno from salvaging Railjack shipwrecks but fails.
The New War
- Sentients start invading the Orokin System a second time through the Veil Proxima.
- The Tenno explores the "Sentient Anomalies" in the Veil.
- Events of Erra (Quest).
- Erra reveals that he survived the events of The Old War.
- Ballas is enslaved by the Sentients.
- Natah's battlecry mobilizes the Sentient fleet.
- Events of Operation: Scarlet Spear.¤
- Events of unnamed The New War cinematic.
- Erra informs Natah that their Sentient mother is dead.
- Erra forces Natah into the Sentient mothership to "finish the war".
- Events of Nightwave: Series 3 - The Glassmaker
- Nihil returns to the Origin System as The Glassmaker, "glassing" criminals with a vigilante motive: to restore order to the system.
- Corpus Ships are remodeled and revamped.
- Events of The Deadlock Protocol.
- Nef Anyo evokes the Deadlock Protocol after an impasse in voting for the next Chairman of the Corpus Board.
- Parvos Granum returns to the Origin System after being stuck in the Granum Void for centuries.
- The Tenno saves Solaris United people from Nef's hands.
- Parvos Granum plans to restructure the Corpus faction or create a new doctrine.
- The Jackal proxy on Fossa, Venus is upgraded into its current form, requiring the use of the Parazon to dispatch it.†
- The Martian moon Deimos has been infested by the Grey Strain of the Infestation and emerges into Martian orbit.†
- Events of Heart of Deimos.
- Helminth is fully grown and operational in subsuming Warframes and injecting them with new abilities.†
- Nihil is defeated by the Tenno after Nora Night discovers his location within the Cephalon Weave.
The foundation of WARFRAME's lore is at a relatively stable state from Update 19.0 onward, though there have been retcons of the WARFRAME universe in the past.
- Phobos was once home of the Grineer Settlement but was changed to Mars in Update: Specters of the Rail.
- Orokin exclusively made Primed gear according to a post on the official WARFRAME website. This has since been retconned due to implications in the The Silver Grove quest, Ivara's Leverian entry, and The Deadlock Protocol quest.
- Even though Warframes were mass-produced, they still hold a unique identity. In other words, no two Novas are the same and can exist separately, presumably controlled by different Operators or as Specters. See Leverian entries for unique stories surrounding the Warframes.
- During The Silver Grove quest, it is told that Silvana was the creator of the Titania Warframe and we received a blueprint of Titania, not Titania Prime.
- In Ivara's Leverian entry, the Ivara Warframe proved herself worthy to be remembered by defeating the Myrmidon, implying that the Warframe itself will be mass-produced by the Orokin unlike the other two unknown Warframes who were destroyed.
- During The Deadlock Protocol quest, the Orokin gave Parvos Granum a standard Protea Warframe and not her Prime.
- Since the origins of the Warframe's Parazon is unknown, we may assume that it has always been with the Warframes since their inception.
- The following Grineer bosses were never in the pre-reworked state where they were just reskinned normal Grineer units.
- Nef Anyo was never pre-Update 16.4 The Sergeant who was named "Sgt. Nef Anyo".
- There may be contradictions in how long the time was between current WARFRAME era and The Old War/Orokin era, ranging from centuries to millennia, depending on how some sources are interpreted. The war taken place multiple centuries ago seems to be the most common timeframe. However, multiple millennia may cover the same time period as multiple centuries (e.g. 4,000 Earth years can be described as multiple centuries or multiple millennia), so this may not be a retcon in this sense.
- The Infested never controlled Jupiter or Eris prior to Update 11.0.
- An explanation may be that the Corpus eradicated most of the Infested influence from the areas and built the Corpus Gas Cities during the WARFRAME era. However, the Infestation took back Eris in Update 14.0, probably due to Mutalist Alad V's experiments.
- Due to the events of Once Awake, it is implied that the Infestation has been contained before the Grineer and Corpus took over the Origin System which means that the Infested never controlled Jupiter or Eris in the first place, voiding the previous explanation.
- J3-Golem is not a canonical boss since it has been removed from the game and was functionally replaced by Lephantis (sharing taunts) and Jordas Golem (sharing namesake).
- The WARFRAME universe prior to Closed Beta Updates is not canonical or has placeholder content that is not considered canon.
- Removed content is of dubious canonicity. Such as:
- Warframe abilities that have been revamped or updated are also part of the Warframe's ability kit when they were created in the WARFRAME universe.
- During Recovery missions, when the player's Warframe is captured by a Zanuka Hunter, the Warframe loses access to their Abilities, which can be 'found' later on in the mission. This does not make sense from a lore standpoint since their abilities are linked to the Void and can only be nullified by certain enemy technologies.
- The release of the Recovery mission type coincides with the time Warframe abilities were treated as Mods. The idea that Warframe abilities (or "powers" in the old terminology) were linked to Mods has since been retconned.
- Old Planet descriptions prior to Update 14.0 (Star Chart 2.0) are retconned.
- Deimos had always existed in the Origin System, despite only being a playable location from Update 29.0 onwards.
- New tutorial quest, Awakening, introduced in Update 29.0 retconned minor plotline between Boril and Captain Vor.
Uncertainties and Plot Gaps
Listing out information that is not clearly presented in the game. Hardly any plot holes in the game's lore, but there are lots of missing info on events and items in the universe.
- What exactly are Mods and Arcane Enhancement in the context of the lore? Who created them? How do they function?
- Cephalon Samodeus is thought to be the creator of all mods but who is this character exactly?
- What is the relationship between non-Prime and Prime Warframes/weapons?
- Are non-Prime Warframes prototypes (see Ivara's Leverian entry) or mass-produced versions (or both)?
- It is implied that Prime Warframes are the more regal and polished/better counterparts due to having golden aesthetics favored by the Orokin and stat increases.
- Since Valkyr Prime has no different abilities (lore-wise) than her non-Prime counterpart, this implies that the Zanuka Project did not have an effect on her. So why were we able to get Valkyr Prime in this state? One explanation would be the mysteries of the Void, where Void Relics were able to reward items from different timelines or parallel universes. This can explain why Revenant and Xaku will be able to get Primed variants in the future while retaining their current abilities.
- What is the "Great Plague" mentioned in Mire's description?
- What happened to Ballas after The Old War? Why did he come back to the Origin System during Apostasy Prologue if he knew that Margulis was executed?
- What is the Veil Proxima exactly?
- What happened to Amalgams and their role in The New War?
- When did Captain Vor die and become Corrupted Vor?
- What are the origins of Eximus units? How did these enemies get their special aura/powers?
- Player progression through the Star Chart reveals many plot gaps in the presentation of the game's lore. For example:
- Is their a relationship between Oro and Continuity?
- How do we revive other Warframes? What is that magical green steam that emanates from our hands?
- When did Deimos become overrun by the Infested? Centuries ago as per Dagonic description? Or millenia ago as per Necrathene description?
- Is Endo Void energy?
Inconsistencies and Plot Holes
Events, story plots, or design decisions that contradict the established lore with no retcon that resolves them.
- Assassination attempts never succeed in the playable WARFRAME universe.
- With the exception of Captain Vor since he eventually becomes Corrupted Vor. It is unclear when this transition happened.
- Unknown how Lieutenant Lech Kril is able to be the boss of both Mars and Ceres.
- This 'explains' some plot holes with Alad V still existing after numerous assassination attempts. It is unknown how he survived all those attempts (during the fight with Zanuka and as Mutalist Alad V).
- Boilers are able to spawn Chargers and Runners despite those enemies being infested versions of Grineer Lancers and Corpus Crewmen.
- Reusing assets:
- Gameplay vs. cutscenes:
- The Orokin-era weapons Mausolon and Cortege comes with an pre-installed Gravimag, despite the Gravimag being Corpus technology.
- This happened before the discovery of the Void. Confirmed by Albrecht Entrati in the first Requiem in the Necralisk: "We are nomads, eternal. And when no ocean, mountain, or sky could contain us... our gaze hungered star-ward. Afar, they mocked us with their brittle light. Winking and jeering like dangling Ayatans, forever out of reach, illuminating the truth: immortal as we are - we die with the sun. That's where I come in."
- "It began long before us, we who now live our perfect and dull, endless lives. It began long before these moon-palaces and body-markets hurling around our golden sun. It began long before our light-coil thinkers, our radiation wars, our oil, smoke. It began with us. The continuity and its twin, wanderlust. The need for unseen shores deep in our marrow. No judge, jester, queen, or king can escape this old blood." - Albrecht Entrati in "XATA" Requiem in the Necralisk
- "They were deranged children run amok. Centuries of progress - destroyed. But they never destroyed me. Never caught me. And our end only proved our correctness... that our laws had been just. Too late. But. It's never too late, is it, Nora?" - Nihil
- Tuvul interrupted, "Our laws are sacred but do not forget The Plan, Ballas." His visage turned down to me, "Countless other ventures have failed The Plan, how will this machine fulfill its design?" I tried to catch my breath and speak, "The crossing to the Tau system is perilous. Adaptation and replication are the only way a terraforming journey can be made. They will build an interstellar rail as they travel, they will adapt to the host planet and prepare it for our arrival. They will save you." - Detron Crewman Synthesis imprint
- Orb Vallis
- Originally we studied Void occurrences from afar, observing and cataloging the distribution of galaxies and refining cosmological evolution models. We are in a new age of cosmic exploration. Advancements in space travel partnered with determined curiosity have brought us closer to our object of study, and with it, revelation. - "Void" Cephalon Fragment
- The creation of Void Relics may be later than this since Warframe parts are stored in them. If each relic tier represents an Orokin Era, then Lith Era starts during the time Warframes were created. Hence, these may be created later, unless there are more than four Orokin Eras than we already know and we do not have access to relics prior to Lith.
- Xaku's Codex entry
- "In the age after the fall of the Orokin the grand clade-families of the Ostron were cast wide across the solar system, roaming and homeless in their great floating markets." - Onkko in "Plains of Eidolon" Thousand-Year Fish Fragment
- Onkko's secret transmissions in the Thousand-Year Fish Fragments
- This does not include the playable character in order to explain why there are still operational Warframes in WARFRAME: Ghouls comics that takes place before current events.
- "See? Here's the three of us: Me, Onkko, and headstrong Saya. We were inseparable-utz. The two of them even got married. They were happy, until he disappeared. That was five years ago. Saya never moved on, never accepted it." - Konzu during Saya's Vigil
- You were right, the Tenno threat is real. We found one drifting near Pluto but the Lotus knew we were coming. She purged the Cryo moments before we had them and sent a squad of Tenno to break our assault. They escaped. We are working on tracing them. Separate this Tenno from the flock and it should be easy to kill. We shattered its Warframe and expect such an abrupt Cryo purge will have damaged its memories. - Intercepted message by Vor
- "You seek rewards, Hunter? Years ago, an Ostron Quill donated the blueprints for a powerful Warframe to the Sanctuary. Shortly after, one of my drones synthesized a most unusual Kavat. Upon review, it seemed as if the creature desired capture. Almost immediately, the feline specimen disappeared, and with it, the Warframe's blueprints." - Cephalon Simaris
- "I was mentored in my craft by a man who lived upon the Eidolon-Moh for many years. It has been a gulf of time now since Sigor Savah departed the Plains. Where he is... I do not know. Though I very much wish I did." - Master Teasonai
- "They found us. Why did the Corpus think they could hide in the Void? Despite their heritage, they seem blind to the Tenno's connection to that place. I know you are sour on mysticism, but I'm beginning to turn my view on it. Every time we tear a Tenno corpse from its metal womb we find nothing to explain their power. Our Warframe engineers gesture wildly about nanotechnology, how reactive dissolution hides the answers. What if a Warframe is merely a lightning rod? A conduit for these demons of the Void? Consider how it could change our plan." - Intercepted message by Captain Vor during Operation: Arid Fear
- The Raptors boss fight rework in Update: The Silver Grove.
- Little Duck Fortuna Fragment
- Since new players have access to the reworked Jackal boss after Update 28.0, the Lotus may be present during this event also. This scenario is of dubious canonicity, so following the order of game updates, this has been placed after the Lotus left the Tenno.
- "Deimos emerges in Martian orbit, completely overrun by the Infestation... yet among the writhing mass, a distress call comes over a most ancient carrier wave..." - Heart of Deimos description
- "Deep within this millennia-old Orokin-turned-Infested ship lurks a creature created to fight in the Old War. Make your way to its location and dispatch this monster." - Lotus on Lephantis
- "Grineer researcher Tyl Regor has made alarming strides in the field of gene repair. His work would not only reverse centuries of deterioration due to excessive cloning but also allow for stronger and deadlier genetic moulds. Eliminate Regor and put a stop to his work." - Lotus on Tyl Regor
- "The Vallis lifeforms emerged like memories, as Venus herself remembered who she was. This, here, is one of the most distant, most precious remembrances – an original Orokin strain, unseen for millennia. And Nef would have it ground down to make nutrient paste. Another sacrifice to short-term thinking, to profit. To that, I say no. I say never!" - The Business on Red-Crested Vermink
- "Specimen VK-7, unlike the others, did not come from a gene record. She was found, frozen, in a sealed closet close to the environmental control station. Her unassuming tomb for millennia. Here, then, was an intact example of Orokin-era fauna." - Sigor Savah on Venari
- "The Sentients, then, became as they are now: senseless, wandering, yearning for a unity they sense more than they remember. And the Unum. The Unum survived, alone, for centuries. Until today. When you stand here, reading this." - Onkko in the Gara Legend
- "After centuries of sleep, you are awake. Your Warframe armor is weak. Your skills, all but forgotten. A Grineer general, Vor, stands over you. 'You are mine, Tenno!'" - Vor's Prize description
- "I know us for a miracle. A million-to-one improbability. Our existence is the most fragile of all existences. We could be exterminated tomorrow, yet we have endured by wit alone for millennia." - "The Ostrons" Fish Fragment
- See Entrati family
- "When my tired ol' grandma didn't have time for nonsense Nihil was the bogeyman she said was gonna come put naughty Nora in a bottle. But Nihil was real. He's still here, somehow, after all this time... and still passing judgment." - Nora Night during Nightwave Series 3
- "I am Palladino. Holy speaker of the Veil, like my mother, and hers before... We speak to the other side, to him. Without his focus, I pray... I pray he answers." - Palladino's introduction
- "A Grineer doctor by the name of Tengus claims to have uncovered some sort of new bio weapon." - Inbox message from Lotus during Once Awake
- "Infested? This shouldn’t be possible. Tenno, it is more important than ever that you finish your mission. We need to know what is going on here." - Lotus during Once Awake
- Loid implies that Deimos was hidden in the Void this whole time (similar to Lua) in one of his dialogue during Heart of Deimos: "We are in crisis, Tenno. Our defense against the Grey Strain has failed. The NECRALISK is in lock-down but it doesn't matter. The Infestation has compromised the very Heart itself. We have been forced to re-phase into Martian--" Maybe he meant to say re-phase into Martian orbit before being interrupted by Otak? Quest description confirms this theory: "Deimos emerges in Martian orbit, completely overrun by the Infestation..."
- "Fixed erroneous text descriptions telling players things exist in the 'Derelicts' and that Vor's Prize is related to Pluto." - Hotfix 29.0.8 patch notes
- "Rivulets of Exocrine fluid, hardened over passing centuries." - Dagonic in-game description
- "Impacted within Infested husks, preserved for millennia." - Necrathene in-game description