Showcasing DE's history with experiments for increasing gameplay difficulty and rewarding gameplay that can be repeated: the so-called 'endgame'. Note that instances of power creep are undocumented since meta loadouts change constantly and there are so many to account for.
- 1 Update 7.0 (2013-03-18) - Stormbringer
- 2 Update 9.0 (2013-07-13) - Vor's Revenge
- 3 Update 10.0 (2013-09-13) - Shadows of the Dead
- 4 Update 11.0 (2013-11-20) - Valkyr Unleashed
- 5 Update 12.0 (2014-02-05) - Zephyr Rises
- 6 Update 13.0 (2014-04-09) - Dark Sectors
- 7 Update 14.0 (2014-07-18) - The Mad Cephalon
- 8 Update 15.0 (2014-10-24) - Archwing
- 9 Update 16.0 (2015-03-19) - Sanctuary
- 10 Update 17.0 (2015-07-31) - Echoes of the Sentient
- 11 Update 18.0 (2015-12-03) - The Second Dream
- 12 Update 19.0 (2016-11-11) - (The Path To) The War Within
- 13 Update 20.0 (2017-03-24) - Octavia's Anthem
- 14 Update 21.0 (2017-06-29) - Chains of Harrow
- 15 Update 22.0 (2017-10-12) - Plains of Eidolon
- 16 Update 23.0 (2018-06-15) - The Sacrifice
- 17 Update 24.0 (2018-11-08) - Fortuna
- 18 Update 25.0 (2019-05-22) - The Jovian Concord
- 19 Update 26.0 (2019-10-31) - The Old Blood
- 20 Update 27.0 (2019-12-13) - Empyrean
- 21 Update 28.0 (2020-06-11) - The Deadlock Protocol
- 22 Update 29.0 (2020-08-25) - Heart of Deimos
Update 7.0 (2013-03-18) - Stormbringer
Update 7.x Weapon Balance (2013-03-22) March 22nd, 2013 - First weapon balance sweep
Update 9.0 (2013-07-13) - Vor's Revenge
- Optional missions with increased enemy levels (by 10 levels) and gameplay modifiers.
- Can be accessed after completing all nodes of a planet.
- Rewards Nightmare Mode mods.
Update 10.0 (2013-09-13) - Shadows of the Dead
- Reward stacking in Survival missions and introduction to reward rotations (i.g. rotation A, B, and C in the form of AABCCC...) to this mission type.
- Mission/enemy level now determines what reward pool it will have, with higher-level missions supposedly drawing from a reward pool with better rewards.
Update 11.0 (2013-11-20) - Valkyr Unleashed
- Introduction of the following damage mechanics:
Hotfix 11.1.2 (2013-11-29) November 29th, 2013 - Survival reward tier update
- Reward rotations in Survival are now AABCAABC... instead of the AABCCC...
- Warframe armor buffs across the board so that no Warframe has base armor below 15.
Update 12.0 (2014-02-05) - Zephyr Rises
- Tougher versions of their normal counterparts with an aura buff/debuff to allies/Tenno.
Update 13.0 (2014-04-09) - Dark Sectors
- Clans can build Solar Rails to be deployed in Dark Sectors and apply a Credits tax to players playing those nodes.
Update 14.0 (2014-07-18) - The Mad Cephalon
Update 14.0 (2014-07-18) July 18th, 2014 - Enemy health uncapped
- Enemy health values was previously stored as a 16-bit integer (65535 in base 10 was 1111111111111111 in base 2).
- All Infested enemies have behavior changes to increase the difficulty in fighting them.
- Player vs. player (PvP) game mode under the context of Clans battling over control over the Solar Rails of the Origin System.
- Borrows elements of Invasion system where players can side with a Clan to reap rewards.
Update 15.0 (2014-10-24) - Archwing
Update 15.0 (2014-10-24) October 24th, 2014 - Removal of Warframe Ability mods
Update 15.0 (2014-10-24) October 24th, 2014 - Defense and Interception stacking rewards
- Increased base damage and crit chance/damage.
Update 15.5 (2014-11-27) November 27th, 2014 - Enemy Accuracy changes
Update 15.5 (2014-11-27) November 27th, 2014 - Infested faction expansion
Update 16.0 (2015-03-19) - Sanctuary
Update 16.0 (2015-03-19) March 19th, 2015 - Solar Rails discontinued
- The Law of Retribution was the first one.
- New Arcane Enhancement rewards.
- Can only be completed once per day.
- Max 8-player and min 4-player game mode.
- Player vs. player (PvP) game mode.
- Capture the flag, free-for-all, and team deathmatch.
- Exclusive rewards through Syndicate system.
- Warframes and weapons have modified stats to be 'balanced' within the game mode.
- Can only be equipped with PvP mods.
Update 17.0 (2015-07-31) - Echoes of the Sentient
Update 17.0 (2015-07-31) July 31st, 2015 - General shotgun buffs
- Second Trial mission with new Arcane rewards.
- Has Archwing gameplay tied into missions.
Update 18.0 (2015-12-03) - The Second Dream
- New system that revolves around Operators.
- Resource sink to convert wasted Affinity to Focus points to spend on upgrading Operator abilities, Warframes, or weapons.
- Series of three relatively high-level (levels 50-100) missions that each have a gameplay modifier.
- Reward after completing all three missions.
- Kela De Thaym can now be hit with status procs (i.e. and ). However, Kela will not be affected by procs that cause animations (staggers or knockdowns) as this conflicts with her Grappling Hook state.
Update 18.5 (2016-03-04) March 4, 2016 - Warframe Ability Resistance and Immunity Changes for Bosses
Hotfix 18.13.2 (2016-06-01) June 1, 2016 - Enemy Grenade changes
Update 19.0 (2016-11-11) - (The Path To) The War Within
Update: Specters of the Rail (2016-07-08) July 8th, 2016 - Conclave rating removed
- Conclave rating was a numeric value that determines the 'power level' of a mod. A particular loadout can be arbitrarily restricted from being used in a special mission (e.g. Tactical Alerts) based on the conclave rating of the mods equipped on the Warframe and weapons.
Update 19.0 (2016-11-11) November 11th, 2016 - Endless Void Fissure Missions Changes & Additions
- Scaling rewards for Endless Void Fissures, including bonus Affinity, Credits, Resource, and Void Relic gain.
Update 19.0 (2016-11-11) November 11th, 2016 - Sortie Changes & Additions
- Riven Mods introduced into reward pool.
Update 20.0 (2017-03-24) - Octavia's Anthem
Update 21.0 (2017-06-29) - Chains of Harrow
Update 21.0 (2017-06-29) June 29th, 2017 - Dual-Wielding Thrown Melee And Secondary Weapon
- Buffs to thrown melee weapons across the board.
- Unique Grineer unit that has heavy damage reduction to bodyshots but headshots can only occur when helmet is broken.
Update 22.0 (2017-10-12) - Plains of Eidolon
- New avenue for obtaining Warframe Arcanes.
- Field bosses meant to be taken down by a squad.
- Repeatable until Plains of Eidolon is day time.
- New Focus nodes and changes to existing ones in the context of Operator mode introduced in Update 19.0 (2016-11-11).
- Increased caps on Focus acquisition.
Update 22.0 (2017-10-12) October 12th, 2017 - Weapon Falloff and Sniper Combo Changes
Update 22.12 (2018-02-09) February 9th, 2018 - Weapons Stat Rebalance
- Most primary and secondaries have been rebalanced based loosely around their Mastery Rank.
Hotfix 22.13.3 (2018-02-21) February 21st, 2018 - Beam Weapon Changes
- All beam weapons have been rebalanced based loosely around their Mastery Rank.
- Beam weapons can apply more than one status effect per second like other weapon classes.
- Damage ramp up added meaning beam weapons do not deal full damage until after a few hundred milliseconds.
- Beam weapons consume less ammo when being fired.
Update 22.14 (2018-03-01) March 1st, 2018 - Trials discontinued
- Endless game mode with arcade elements of killing enemies as fast as possible to progress.
- Normal and Elite versions with different starting enemy levels and rewards.
Update 22.20 (2018-05-17) May 17th, 2018 - Napalm and Rocket Bombard QoL Changes
Update 23.0 (2018-06-15) - The Sacrifice
- Special alert that is a high-level (starting level 60-80) endless mission with a reward rotation ABCCC... (C repeating, unlike the typical AABCAABC...).
- Unique gameplay modifiers like no revives, Warframe and weapon boons (buffs), and Arbitration Shield Drones that make nearby enemies invincible until destroyed.
- Game mode changes to make mission harder (such as lowering the percentage of life support restored upon picking up a life support capsule during Survival).
Update 24.0 (2018-11-08) - Fortuna
- Completing optional bonus objectives during Bounties reward extra standing and an extra reward from the reward pool if all stages have their bonus objectives completed.
Update 24.0 (2018-11-08) November 8th, 2018 - New Corpus Terra unit
- Enemy units on the Orb Vallis deal reduced damage.
Hotfix 24.0.10 (2018-11-21) November 21st, 2018 - New Elite Terra units on Orb Vallis
- Since Arch-guns are now usable on the ground, they received some balance changes, notably damage, crit, and status buffs.
- Extremely tanky boss that requires the use of an Arch-gun on the ground.
- Lots of enemy adds can spawn if alert level goes unchecked.
Update 25.0 (2019-05-22) - The Jovian Concord
- Quick shot attacks normalized to have same crit chance/damage and status chance stats as charged attacks
- Charged shot damage increased
- Projectile flight speed increased
- Lowered zoom
Update 26.0 (2019-10-31) - The Old Blood
Update 26.0 (2019-10-31) October 31st, 2019 - missions
- Experimental game mode to acquire Grendel's component blueprints.
- Player's Warframe and weapons will not benefit from mods with the exception of Warframe Augment Mods and Robotic Companion's precepts.
- Enemy level 40-45.
- Changes to Stances and improvement to flow of melee.
- Rebalancing of melees across the board based loosely around their Mastery Rank.
- Charged attacks reintroduced from Melee 1.0 in the form of heavy attacks that have scaling damage based on combo.
- New field boss that can use specific Warframe abilities.
Update 27.0 (2019-12-13) - Empyrean
- Ground enemies have higher base health than normal counterparts but are sparsely encountered, making them tanky as a result.
Update 27.1 (2020-02-04) February 4th, 2020 - Enemy Alertness changes
Update 27.2 (2020-03-05) March 5th, 2020 - WARFRAME Revised
- Introduction of Shield gating.
- Shields have an innate 25% damage reduction.
- Status Effect changes and rebalancing.
- Stacking procs have benefits.
- Over 100% status chance has meaning.
- Shotguns follow status chance calculations per pellet/bullet like other weapons (no more 100% status chance before multishot shenanigans).
- Shotguns status chance per pellet buffed by 3x as a result.
- Self-stagger introduced to replace self-damage.
- All AoE weapons have self-stagger if player is hit within the explosion.
- AoE weapons' explosion radii increased, but with damage falloff at edges of the explosion.
- Enemy Level Scaling changes.
- Enemy armor scaling nerfed significantly.
- Infested damage scaling increased.
- All armor, shield, and armor scaling curves have an S-shape instead of being exponential.
- For reference, at level 180, enemies will have about 3x less health, 3x less shields, and 2x less armor than before the update.
- Warframe armor buffs so that no Warframe has a base armor value below 100.
- Enemy aimbot behavior reduced at higher levels.
- Hand Grenade markers added and players now have the ability to destroy thrown enemy grenades.
- Larger variant of its Shield Lancer counterpart with a full-body sized impenetrable shield, making it only vulnerable to explosives or from behind.
- Features scaling rewards based on performance in Railjack and Ground Missions.
- Warframe Arcanes available through Scalet Spear credit shop.
- Changes to how healing and damage reduction abilities interact with defendable objects as seen here.
- Healing sources that scale based on objective's health nerfed to only heal to flat amounts.
Update 27.4 (2020-05-01) May 1st, 2020 - Railjack Revisited (Part 1)
- Enemy tankiness in Empyrean reduced across the board, nerfing health and armor values.
Update 28.0 (2020-06-11) - The Deadlock Protocol
- Features level 100+ enemies with 2.5x more armor, shields, and health.
- Resources and Mod drop chances doubled as a small bonus.
Update 29.0 (2020-08-25) - Heart of Deimos
Update 29.0 (2020-08-25) August 25, 2020 - Heart of Deimos
- New armored Infested units, Deimos Jugulus, Deimos Saxum, and Deimos Carnis.
- New ancient Infested unit, Deimos Therid.
- Shoots orbs of cobweb that can slow down the player.
- New field boss unit, Necramechs.
- Immune to status effects, has three small weak spots, and is able to make itself temporarily invulnerable.
- Necramech vehicles introduced, featuring extremely powerful Exalted Weapons and Arch-guns like the .
Update 29.5 (2020-11-19) November 19, 2020 - Glaives Revisted
- Glaive detonations buffed and explosion damage has no falloff.
- Melee stances now available when dual wielding with a secondary.
- Multiple throws can be done midair and throws can be done while sliding.
- Acolyte field bosses will now appear during The Steel Path missions as random encounters.
- Their health scales based on squad size and status effects can now be applied on them in the same manner as Kuva Liches.
Update 29.5 (2020-11-19) November 19, 2020 - Enemy Necramech changes
- Bonewidow Necramech enemy added.
- Has mechanics similar to its player-controlled counterpart.
- Can now apply status effects to enemy Necramechs.
- Has diminishing returns to Warframe abilities cast on them.
- Has damage immunity to some Warframe abilities.
- Increased cooldown time when they can use their invulnerability shield.
Hotfix 29.5.4 (2020-11-25) November 25, 2020 - Enemy Necramechs nerf
- Enemy Necramechs no longer have damage immunity under the effects of Storm Shroud. Ability grants damage reduction instead for the duration.