- The explosion deals 250 damage to the target, as well as to nearby enemies within 10 meters of the blast.
- The explosion inflicts self-stagger.
- Unlike the area blasts of dedicated blast weapons like Launchers, Thunderbolt does NOT have a safety distance to prevent self-stagger. Furthermore, if the shot hits and explodes close enough to you it will do a full Knockdown instead of just a self-stagger.
- The explosive damage from this mod cannot be increased with base damage, such as , and elemental mods such as , but it will be increased by Bane mods, like .
- Compared to Launchers, the Thunderbolt blast has full Punch Through (like most Launchers) and zero falloff throughout its entire area of effect (unlike most Launchers), so all enemies take full damage even at the outer-most edges of the blast while behind cover.
- The blast area is increased by or .
- The explosions are silent.
- Arrows fired at terrain and other surfaces still explode, but not arrows fired at teammates or other allies.
- When the explosion occurs, the projectile of the arrow causing that is actually "dissolved". Thus any subsequent mechanics relating to the projectile will not happen, such as punching through or the spore coming after the arrow of .
- As the blast damage is not improved by damage increasing/elemental mods on the corresponding bow but it IS reduced by the resistances/armor of the enemies, viable builds using Thunderbolt rely on sending out a massive number of arrows quickly to have as many explosions as possible.
- Pair with a high-rank Multishot mod for maximum effect. Calculating per shot, there will be a 48.9% chance of at least one explosion with both and Thunderbolt at max rank. The chance for two explosions is 8.1%. With Split Chamber, , and Thunderbolt there is a 58.4% chance of at least one explosion, a 15.3% chance of at least two explosions, and a 1.4% chance of three explosions.
- When facing groups of enemies at medium-to-long range, maximize splash damage by aiming for a nearby surface rather than directly at an enemy.
- Since explosive damage is unaffected by the amount of time the shot has been charged, rapid shots can be more effective at quickly taking out large groups of enemies.
- This mod pairs well with the or due to the high volume of fire of crossbow-type primaries compared to other bows, ensuring a very high chance of bolts exploding within a short period of time. Combined with the higher ammo capacity, using Thunderbolt on these weapons is very effective for dealing with crowds.
- Combining the Attica or Zhuge, especially modded for fire rate, with while using her ability can create an extremely large number of explosions over a wide area, since arrows fired by Mirage's clones can also proc Thunderbolt.
Last updated: Update 27.2 (2020-03-05)