- Launches a salvo of four projectiles, each one creating a puddle of acidic tar that deals damage per second and slows players that linger on it.
- Can leap away to put distance between themselves and their enemies. They can also leap high to avoid taking damage, sometimes giving the illusion of them disappearing.
- Can perform a ground stomp similar to Shockwave MOA, stunning and knocking back players touched by the shockwave.
- As with standard MOAs, shooting at the Tar Mutalist MOA's "chest" counts as a headshot, dealing 2x damage, while shooting the fanny pack (manifested as a tail-like appendage) on its back deals 3x damage.
- Has a higher movement speed than other Infested units.
- Can be Disarmed using Loki's Radial Disarm, which does not damage them but disables their spit and stomp attacks, leaving kicks as their only means of damaging players
- Many frame powers target their fanny pack, dealing 3x damage.
- The Tar Mutalist MOA was first introduced in Devstream 35, alongside its Swarm counterpart. It was initially referred to as the Slow Bomb MOA.
- Curiously the Slow Bomb MOA moniker was referring to the design that would later be used for the Swarm Mutalist MOA and vice versa.
- For a long time after they were released, puddles of bile would damage and slow players while under Mind Control or when produced by Shadows.
- Swarm Mutalist MOA, another type of infested MOA.
- MOA (or Shockwave MOA) the uninfested version if the Tar Mutalist MOA.
|Walker||Charger • Leaper • Maggot • Runner • Volatile Runner|
|Crawler||Crawler • Electric Crawler • Lobber Crawler • Nauseous Crawler • Toxic Crawler|
|Machine||Mutalist Osprey • Swarm Mutalist MOA • Tar Mutalist MOA • Power Carrier • Venin Mutalist|
|Ancient||Ancient Disruptor • Ancient Healer • Boiler • Brood Mother • Toxic Ancient|
|Archwing||Attack Mutalist • Mutalist Lightning Carrier • Mutalist Toxic Carrier|
|Jordas Golem • Juggernaut (Behemoth) • Lephantis • Mutalist Alad V • Phorid|