The Synthesis Scanner is a special device that can be acquired from Cephalon Simaris, and is necessary to conduct Synthesis for his Sanctuary. The device allows the user to see enemies, destructible objects, and important objects through walls and obstructions. It is also a range-finding device that can measure the distance from the scanner to the targeted terrain or object.
This can be purchased in a set of 25 charges from the Offerings section of Cephalon Simaris for 5,000.
Performing a Synthesis Scan
Cephalon Simaris will announce the presence of a Synthesis Target when entering a mission that contains the desired unit. When zooming in ( ) with the Scanner, a blue and orange spiraling shadow trail will appear, with the orange end pointing to the direction of the target. The target will appear with a blue outline and be marked on the HUD and minimap once the player locates it with the scanner zoomed-in. To use the scanner on the identified target, equip the Scanner from the Gear menu, then scan ( ) the four nodes visible on the target's body. Once all nodes or body locations have been scanned, the target will dissipate, signifying a successful synthesis.
Synthesis Scanners can also be used much like the Codex Scanner, providing Standing from Cephalon Simaris for each successful scan of any enemy or unit while also adding an entry for the Codex. Stealth scans will provide a significant bonus to Standing earned.
Widgets are upgrades that are permanently applied to Synthesis Scanners upon being purchased, enhancing their utility. There are four Widgets available for Synthesis Scanners and are all bought from Cephalon Simaris. The Data-Parse Widget costs 25,000, while the rest cost 50,000. All four Widgets can be applied simultaneously.
Synthesis Scanner will now show target enemy weaknesses and resistances.
Reduces the time required to scan a target with the Synthesis Scanner.
(+45% scan rate)
Chance for each scan with the Synthesis Scanner to count as two scans.
Recharges Synthesis Scanner charges.
(Scans no longer consume charges)
- Player will gain Standing points with Simaris if the Synthesis Scanner is used on normal enemies, equivalent to the amount of normal exp given if using a Codex Scanner. Scanning a target on unaware enemies doubles the Standing gained.
- Standing earned by scanning enemies and Synthesis Targets will count towards Simaris' daily Standing limit.
- Although more costly (unless utilizing the Sol-Battery Widget), scans taken with the Synthesis Scanner will count towards the player's Codex like a normal Codex Scanner, regardless of whether or not the scanned target is a Synthesis target or just a normal creature.
- The Synthesis Scanner can be used on enemies/objects that have a completed Codex Entry, unlike the normal Codex Scanner, and will still gain Standing with Simaris. This can also be a key thing to remember for the occasional daily mission for the Nightwave events which require a certain number of successful scans if you have a well-filled Codex; the Synthesis Scanner may be the only way you can get the scans to complete this mission.
- Helios' , Oxylus' and can consume Synthesis Scanners in place of Codex Scanners, but will not grant Simaris Standing.
- If both are equipped Helios/Oxylus will consume the Codex Scanner charges first.
- Even with the Sol-Battery Widget equipped, Helios will not auto-scan enemies/objects with a completed Codex entry; you will always need to use a Synthesis Scanner manually to gain standing with Simaris. Oxylus, however, will continue to scan plants.
- The Cross-Matrix Widget will affect reputation per scan. The primary use of this widget is to scan synthesis targets faster and fill the Codex easier.
- The Cross-Matrix Widgets can double the amount of Plant extracts and Kavat Genetic Codes collected.
- The Cross-Matrix Widgets will not trigger when scanning Kurias or Fragments.
- While Synthesis Targets provide the largest amount of Simaris Standing per completion, the Synthesis Scanner can be used on normal enemies to provide Standing as well. Using a , , or to perform scans on enemies from stealth is a good way to earn large amounts of Standing per mission. Scanning while undetected will grant nearly double standing.
- The Synthesis Scanner is able to be used from an Archwing while in an open world zone like the Plains of Eidolon. Flying very high in such a zone can also keep you undetected yet you can still scan enemies, turrets and Eidolon Lures from that range, so if done in The Steel Path you can get a lot of standing very quickly at zero risk.
- Using Kinetic Siphon Traps can aid in taking scans by immobilizing the enemy, as Synthesis Targets have resistance to many Warframe abilities crowd-control effects.
- 's Ability can make a good alternative for Kinetic Siphon Traps. It adds additional health to protect the target, lasts longer with Ability Duration mods, and is entirely free.
- Approaching the Synthesis Target through stealth (with either Shade or ) is recommended, as the Target will not run, thus making it easier to scan the Target's nodes. However, the Target will be alerted after the first scanned node.
- Using a non-lethal Warframe ability to incapacitate the target is an alternative method of easy scans.
- Using 's on the target will give you enough time to safely scan the target multiple times.
- Using 's Sleep Arrow on the target will, with enough duration, incapacitate the target long enough to perform all 4 scans.
- Using 's will emit a growing wave of ghastly energy that completely immobilizes enemies in chains for 6 seconds.
- Using 's Gaze or Deny will respectively freeze the enemy in place or lift it for the duration, which can be extended with long enough to easily scan a target.
- Keeping the scanner equipped and using melee to dispatch mobs helps in tracking down the target faster (the scanner will be unequipped on a melee attack if you have no primary/secondary weapon however).
- Companions (Kubrows and Sentinels) will attack the target and can kill it, preventing the target from being scanned, and thus necessitating another mission to start the process over. This can be prevented by either unequipping companions before attempting a Synthesis capture or equipping a Sentinel with no attack precept installed.
- All the Widgets available for purchase are useful when scanning.
- Getting the Sol-Battery Widget early on allows players to save on credits as the upgrade grants an unlimited amount of scans as long as at least 1 Synthesis Scanner charge is equipped.
- The Cross-Matrix Widget helps produce two-scans-in-one, which helps when scanning a hard-to-encounter enemy, such as special bosses that are usually hard to reach to or assassins (i.e. Stalker). Useful when hunting for a Kavat, although the chance of both finding a Kavat which will give a Kavat Genetic Code and proccing the double-scan is only 6.75%. Additionally, if the Cross-Matrix Widget triggers during a stealth scan, both the widget and the stealth bonus will combine to produce 4-scans-in-one.
- If the process of scanning seems difficult to perform, the Vector-Thread Widget is perfect, as it reduces the scan time down by a portion, usually two to three seconds. This is helpful when trying to scan speedy targets such as the Manic.
- Simaris lore and research targets can be scanned infinitely, though the counter will stop increasing; many of these targets reward with a large fixed amount multiplied by unit level, so in fast missions it's possible to repeatably get ~4k standing from one scan. However, after switching from a completed target, that research will be locked off, so it is advisable to either stick with the most valuable enemies or leave them to last.
- Switching back to using your weapons with "Switch Weapon" after equipping the scanner will always switch to your secondary weapon, while re-equipping the scanner (via the gear wheel or hotkey) will always switch you to your primary weapon, regardless of which weapon was equipped before using it.
|Usable||Antiserum Injector • Antitoxins • Apothics • Archgun Deployer • Archwing Launcher • Cipher • Dragon Keys • Grustrag Three Beacon • Health Restore • K-Drive Launcher • Necramech Summon • Omni Ammo Box • On Call Crew • Pheromone Synthesizers • Requiem Ultimatum • Stalker Beacon • Stims • Wolf Beacon • Zanuka Hunter Beacon|
|Equipable||Codex Scanner • Cutters • Echo-Lures • Fishing Spears • Pheromone • Synthesis Scanner • Tranq Rifle|
|Deployable||Air Support Charges • Baits • Fosfors • Kinetic Siphon Trap • Loc-Pin • Luminous Dye • Pharoma • Pherliac Pod • Specter • Team Bonus Consumables|
|Event-Restricted||Eidolon Phylaxis • Fomorian Disruptor • Infested Catalyst • Razorback Cipher • OpLink|
|Cosmetic||Eros Arrow Skin • Glyph Prism • Grand Finale • Ki'Teer Fireworks • Remote Observer • Starburst|