Not to be confused with Accuracy.
Recoil is described as the physical kick of a weapon when firing, represented by the target reticle and screen moving up a certain distance and/or shaking slightly. It is relevant to note that while gun Accuracy will not improve through modding for recoil reduction, the decreased recoil can make it easier to land shots onto enemies.
As a clear way to distinguish the two, accuracy is about how far from the reticle the weapon shoots its projectile, while recoil is the amount that the reticle moves after the weapon is shot.
Recoil Reduction ModsEdit
Recoil can be relieved with various mods. Fire rate also increases recoil in some weapons, such as the Grakata, which require burst firing in order to counter heavy recoil without modding.
In addition, there are some PvP-exclusive mods which affect recoil:
Weapons with High RecoilEdit
These weapons are considered to have harder to manage recoil, and are prime candidates for recoil-reduction mods if available.
- Recoil decreasing mods have no effect on weapons with little to no recoil.
- Stacking Stabilizer and Vile Precision to at least -100% recoil will negate all recoil.
- Reducing fire rate with Critical Delay, Creeping Bullseye or Vile Precision can lessen the effect of recoil without needing to use a mod for recoil reduction.
- Even if a weapon's accuracy is good, with rapid-firing weapons such as the Dual Cestra, the recoil will cause shots to deviate largely from the point of aim as the reticle shakes around.
- Most sniper rifles have heavy recoil, but their firerate allows the reticle to move back into position about the time when you can fire another shot, making recoil mods less important on these weapons.
- The Boar shotguns have a high recoil, but is only noticed when increasing the fire rate.
- The Seer has the largest recoil of any pistol, and benefits greatly with Steady Hands.
- Reducing recoil on the Brakk or Bronco pistols is not necessary, as they shoot a spray of pellets so accuracy is not a primary issue.
- Heavy Caliber and Magnum Force used to add recoil to weapons, instead of reducing accuracy, which made recoil-less weapons gain a pure damage boost. This change however made less sense than recoil as a higher damage bullet would create a larger kick and not necessarily have a negative effect on accuracy.