|Time: 24 hrs|
|Market Price: 150||Blueprints Price:30,000|
This weapon deals primarily Blast damage.
- Innate Blast damage - effective against Machinery and Fossilized.
- Physical contact with grenades deal Impact damage.
- Grenades explode in a 4 meter radius after impacting a surface or enemy.
- Pinpoint accuracy.
- Heavy Caliber's accuracy penalty is minimal on this weapon.
- Can use the Penta-exclusive Tether Grenades and Napalm Grenades, as well as the launcher-exclusive mods Adhesive Blast mods.
- Can benefit from Firestorm, Amalgam Furax Body Count, and Cautious Shot.
- Innate Blast damage – less effective against Ferrite Armor.
- Grenades have slow travel time and heavy arcing.
- Low critical chance and status chance.
- Explosion inflicts self-stagger.
- Explosion has linear damage falloff from 100% to 50% from central impact.
- Can only have five grenades out at once.
- Extra projectiles generated by Multishot will count towards the limit of five live grenades.
- Slow reload speed.
- Grenades have a high bouncing capability which makes it hard to stack on a desired spot.
- Can bounce off teammates or companions.
- This can be countered with the Adhesive Blast mod which will make the grenades stick to any surface.
- Low magazine size.
- Extremely low ammo capacity of 20; requires just 4 reloads to fully deplete all ammo reserves.
- Draws from the rare sniper ammo pool.
- Penta, compared to Secura Penta:
- Higher area attack damage (350.0 vs. 300.0)
- Lower critical chance (10% vs. 26%)
- Lower status chance (10% vs. 26%)
- Lower fire rate (1 round/sec vs. 2 rounds/sec)
- Smaller magazine (5 rounds vs. 7 rounds)
- Smaller max ammo capacity (20 rounds vs. 28 rounds)
- Lack of an innate Sequence effect
- Different polarities (None vs. )
- Lower Mastery Rank required (6 vs. 12)
- Higher disposition (1.35 vs. 1.3)
- Penta, compared to Carmine Penta:
- See Category:Penta Build to see how players mod this weapon.
- See Category:Penta Guides for guides on how to use this weapon effectively.
- For more general help with weapons, you may wish to browse Category:Weapon Guides.
- Detonations can be triggered while the player is performing other actions.
- The launch/flight of a grenade is silent (though the actual explosions are alarming, obviously).
- Grenades have no arming delay, and can be detonated instantly with the use of the Secondary Fire button.
- Grenades can be bounced around corners, off walls, and over low obstacles.
- Grenades that continuously bounce into enemies will deal impact damage again and again even when already having bounced off of other enemies.
- Grenades do not bounce when striking water, coming to a dead stop instead. This allows perfect aiming for setting traps.
- Increasing the Magazine size of the weapon does not increase the 5 grenade limit.
- Though the grenade explosion does not destroy rockets from Bombards, impacts by the grenades from very accurate (and lucky) shots can.
- With Multishot, the second grenade is usually indistinguishable from the first, as they follow the same trajectory simultaneously and bounce in the same direction. They can be "separated" with negative accuracy from a Heavy Caliber at a reasonable rank.
- Grenades fired from the Penta are lobbed in a heavy arc, allowing the player to kill enemies hiding behind cover much more easily, as the detonation happens upon external trigger.
- Standing at a greater height allows for the grenades to be lobbed and bounce further, allowing the user to see the grenades better, as well as eliminating the worry of stagger.
- A maxed Firestorm increases the blast radius from the initial 5 meters up to 6.2 meters, allowing more enemies to be caught in the blast.
- It is not recommended to use Punch Through mods as grenades can often go through the floor on some tilesets, making it impossible to bounce every time.
- Split Chamber can spawn a sixth grenade provided that the multishot procs when 4 grenades are already out
- While multishot mods are commonly considered necessary to increase damage output, due to the Penta's mechanics of careful detonation and limited grenades active at once, it's not as much of an instant damage increase as with normal weapons. It can be useful for setting up a large number of grenades faster, however.
- Elemental mods such as Hellfire are external from the main Blast damage, allowing the weapon to have 3 separate elemental combinations.
- Players can detonate grenades in mid-air to score headshots on targets below.
- The default color of the grenades can make it hard to see in the middle of a crowd of enemies or from their bouncing. Changing energy color can help with certain tile sets (E.g. do not use bright white for Corpus Outpost missions).
- Grenades will immediately explode when they hit Blunts, water surface, puddles from Tar-Mutalist Moa or Bulwarks.
- Penta derives from the Greek prefix of "five", which may refer to its magazine of 5 grenades.
- The Penta (and its variants) are the first and currently only weapons for which the magazine becomes visibly larger as magazine capacity is increased. With high enough capacity the magazine will even protrude out from the bottom of the magazine feed.
- The Penta formerly used Rifle Ammo Mutation instead of Sniper Ammo Mutation, despite still using sniper ammo. This was fixed in Update 17.5.
- The Penta was one of the first weapons with a non-static model: The magazine feeds up to the gun upon firing and the slide around the barrel are pulled back during reloading actions.
- The Penta was the first Corpus weapon to focus on explosive weaponry, followed by the Lenz in Update 21.3.
- The grenades are flat and rectangular, which is odd, considering their ability to bounce.
- Prior to Update 23.2, the Tether Grenades augment changed the grenade model to be a short cylinder with concave ends. It still used the default grenade texture, which looked strange but was normally obscured by the grenades's blue glow.
- Tether Grenades now causes the grenade to spin towards the enemy instead of staying flat.
- Prior to Update 18.5, Adhesive Blast caused grenades to explode after a set amount of time.
- This was the first weapon to have the Zoom capability replaced with a different function pre-Update 17.0.
- The Arsenal interface used to label only the damage of the grenade projectile impact, but now labels the Impact damage of the projectile as well as the base Blast damage seperately (350 base).
- In its Arsenal UI, it does not display its trigger function, though it functions as Semi-Auto, possibly because it deals damage on impact, unlike other Active trigger weapons.
Last updated: Hotfix 24.1.4
- Torid, an Infested grenade launcher.
- Tonkor, a Grineer grenade launcher.
- Secura Penta, the Perrin Sequence custom version.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.