“You're not supposed to be in here! You're going to ruin the surprise!”The following section contains spoilers. Please complete the Chimera Prologue quest before proceeding.
The Paracesis is Ballas' signature weapon, introduced in Update 23.10. Also known as "The Sentient Slayer", the weapon can gain additional max ranks after polarization capping at rank 40, with the additional ranks applying a bonus damage to Sentients and removing their damage resistances.
Due to its unique nature as The Sentient Slayer, this weapon cannot be sold once crafted.
|Time: 12 hrs|
|Market Price: N/A||Blueprints Price:N/A|
The weapon blueprint is given to the player at the end of the Chimera Prologue quest.
This weapon deals primarily Slash damage.
- Third highest base damage of all heavy blades, behind Galatine Prime and Gram Prime.
- Third highest critical chance of all melee weapons, behind Jat Kusar, Fragor Prime, and Gram Prime.
- Tied with Gram Prime for the highest critical multiplier of all heavy blades.
- Slam attacks have a very powerful ragdoll effect.
- Stance slot has polarity, matching Cleaving Whirlwind and Tempo Royale stances.
- Polarizing the weapon increases its max rank by 2, capping at rank 40 after 5 polarizations.
- Low Impact and Puncture damage – less effective against shields and armor.
- Below average status chance.
- Moderately slow attack speed.
- Like the Broken War, Paracesis is able to perform the basic combo attack of a stance mod, with the mod in question being Tempo Royale
- The weapon's max rank caps at 40 after 5 polarizations (max rank increases by 2 per Forma added).
- Additional polarizations can be added when the weapon reaches its new max rank at that polarization level.
- Each additional rank also gives Mastery Rank Experience, giving 4,000 points in total.
- Mod capacity scales with the additional ranks, and can reach a total of 90 at rank 40 with an Orokin Catalyst installed and a matching stance mod.
- Without an Orokin Catalyst, the max is 50. Combined with the five polarized mod slots required to reach that point, an Orokin Catalyst might not be required to finish modding the Paracesis.
- After polarizing a weapon, any additional mod capacity above 30 (60 with an Orokin Catalyst) will not take effect until the weapon's rank reaches 31 and above.
- Paracesis' stealth damage bonus does not increase past the usual maximum of 7, reached at rank 30.
- Each rank above 30 adds a bonus damage to Sentients.
- At rank 40, all attacks except the slam attack gain Void properties against Sentients, including removing damage resistances from Battalysts, Conculysts, and Shadow Stalker, and resetting Profit-Taker Orb's shield weakness. However, it does not actually do Void damage.
|Weapon Rank||Sentient Damage Bonus|
- Paracesis is the first weapon:
- Paracesis appears to be a corruption of Paracelsus, the famed 16th-century Swiss alchemist. Some portraits of Paracelsus depict him holding a sword by the pommel which, depending on the source, was said to contain either the mythical Philosopher's Stone or the Azoth, a rumored substance that could cure any illness or dissolve any material.
- Additionally, Paracelsus was the first person to describe the creation of a Homunculus, a small, fully formed human being, via artificial means. This could allude to Ballas' creation of the Warframes and, albeit indirectly, the Sentients.
- Paracesis may also be a corruption of Paracentesis, a medical procedure where the abdomen is punctured with a hollow needle in order to sample or drain bodily fluids. If this is the case, then it would metaphorically allude to the function of the sword as a curative instrument against a "cyst" or "infection" (the Sentients).
- Paracelsus is known as the father of toxicology, with one of his most famous tenets being that the dose makes the poison, referring to how otherwise harmless chemicals may become deadly in certain doses. Combined with Ballas's rant referring to the Lotus as a venomous viper, it may be a statement on the Lotus changing from a benevolent force to malevolent now that she's taken a more personal role.
- In Devstream 123, [DE]Steve advised not to sell the Paracesis (despite not being possible to), implying that it may be used in the upcoming cinematic quest, The New War.
- When a player is not the host, if a host migration occurs, Paracesis will revert to rank 30, losing mod capacity and mod fuctionality over the threshold alongside the anti-sentient passives and stance mod.