The Masseter is Grendel's signature greatsword with a distinctive crankshaft-shaped blade, introduced in Update 26.0. In addition to grinding its foes into chunks, Grendel becomes unshakable when he readies a heavy attack.
|Time: 12 hrs|
|Market Price: 175||Blueprints Price:N/A|
|Tenno Lab Research 3,000|
|Time: 72 hrs|
|Prereq: Nami Skyla|
|x1 x3 x10 x30 x100|
This weapon deals primarily Impact damage.
- High Impact and Slash damage – effective against shields and health.
- Very high critical chance.
- Second highest status chance of all heavy blades, behind Gram Prime.
- Tied with the Galatine and Galatine Prime for the fastest attack speed of all heavy blades.
- Stance slot has a polarity, matches Rending Crane stance.
- Highest slam attack radius of all weapons.
- When wielded by Grendel, he is immune to crowd control procs during Heavy Attacks.
- The masseter muscle is one of four muscles responsible for chewing.
- Keeping with Grendel's design being inspired by Oni, the Masseter's design is based on the Kanabō, a studded, two-handed club used by samurai. The cumbersome nature of the kanabō resulted in the weapon being associated with oni due to their great strength.
- The close associations between oni and kanabō in Japanese culture have resulted in the phrase oni-ni-kanabō (鬼に金棒, "[giving a] kanabō to oni") to describe giving further advantages to a powerful opponent, which may be the basis for Grendel's immunity to crowd control effects while preparing a heavy attack with the Masseter.
- When Masseter is used to perform an attack, its rotation will ramp up for a short period of time and eventually slow back to an idle speed.
- Manual guard (holding right-mouse button) will lock Masseter in the idle rotation, regardless of current speed.