The Kestrel is a melee throwing weapon similar to the Glaive, capable of bouncing off surfaces when thrown. Unlike the Glaive, the Kestrel can knock down any opponents that it hits at range.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
This weapon deals primarily Impact damage.
- High Impact damage – effective against shields.
- Slam Attacks have innate Magnetic damage – effective against Shielded and Proto Shields.
- Can be wielded in-tandem with a single-handed secondary weapon.
- Holding the melee button throws the glaive, which can bounce up to three times or travels up to 30 meters before returning to the user, damaging anyone in its path. Meleeing while the glaive is in mid-flight commands it to return.
- Primary and secondary weapons can be fired and reloaded normally with a thrown glaive, and retrieving the glaive does not interrupt these actions. Additional throws can also be "buffered" while the glaive is in mid-flight.
- Thrown glaive has innate Blast damage – effective against Machinery and Robotics.
- Thrown glaive has a guaranteed Impact proc.
- Thrown glaive has good critical chance and status chance.
- Thrown glaive has above average critical multiplier.
- Innate 1 meter punch through.
- Thrown glaive is silent.
- Heavy Attacks, or melee attacks while wielded in-tandem with a secondary weapon, while the glaive is in mid-flight produces a 3.6 meter explosion and forces the glaive to return.
- Explosion inflicts a guaranteed Impact proc.
- Can use the Kestrel-exclusive Entropy Flight mod.
- Can use the Glaive-exclusive mods Combo Fury, Power Throw, Quick Return ( Volatile), Rebound ( Volatile), and Whirlwind.
- Innate and polarities.
- Lowest base damage of all Glaives.
- Slam Attacks have innate Magnetic damage – less effective against Alloy Armor.
- Thrown glaive has innate Blast damage – less effective against Ferrite Armor and Infested Sinew.
- Low melee critical chance and status chance.
- Cannot use melee attacks or block while the glaive is in mid-flight.
- Explosion inflicts self-stagger.
- Explosion has linear damage falloff from 100% to 60% from central impact.
Acquisition[edit | edit source]
The Kestrel's blueprint can be purchased from the Market.
|Time: 12 hrs|
|Market Price: 150||Blueprints Price:20,000|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Can hit theoretically infinite targets on return.
- Like with other thrown weapons, using Whirlwind on the Kestrel will increase flight speed as well as distance traveled, because the flight time is constant. A fully leveled Whirlwind will increase the maximum distance to ~63m.
- When not in use, the Kestrel sheaths under your right arm.
- Ragdolled enemies' health and shield bars are also concealed while ragdolled. Although they usually display damage indicators while ragdolled, sometimes they will not display if you are not the host - giving the impression that the enemy is invulnerable (not the case).
- Sometimes it will continuously fly around its user in a circular path indefinitely after bouncing off at least 2 objects, such as two adjacent walls, if the user stands back and stays still afterwards. (Possibly intended but its exact mechanics are unknown, however, Rebound and Whirlwind were installed when this was discovered.)
- Simply installing a max rank Entropy Flight mod will also cause this. The Kestrel is considered flying on a return path the entire time, so it punches through everything it hits. If the player moves too quickly, they will catch the Kestrel; however, if it is carefully maintained, it can continually fly around the player and deal large amounts of damage to everyone in the vicinity.
- High flight speed, which causes this orbiting behavior, does carry some risk, as a current bug can cause the thrown weapon to disappear, disabling melee for the rest of the level or until the player has died & revived.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- When equipping the Kestrel, the player can throw it and then press the melee button to detonate the Kestrel, dealing high AoE damage and returns to the player immediately. This is true for all thrown melee weapons.
- This is very useful for regenerating health with Life Strike.
- It can explode in this manner when not equipped and thrown, but the explosion timing cannot be controlled and will often damage the user in close quarters.
- It should be however noted that finisher attacks can still be executed while the weapon is in the air.
- The Ground Finisher's bleed proc damage is based on the Ground Finisher damage (which is 30 * 400% = 120 damage without mods). Therefore, the bleed damage can be increased with anything which affects the Ground Finisher, including the Finishing Touch mod.
- For example, a Kestrel without any mods will deal 42 damage (= 120 * 35%) per bleed tick. With only a fully levelled Finishing Touch, this is increased to 67 damage and to 100 damage while channeling.
- With Entropy Flight unique to it and Whirlwind, the Kestrel can attain a higher flight speed than any other thrown melee weapon with Whirlwind. This also indirectly increases its maximum range.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Kestrel is a carnivorous bird in the falcon family known for hovering.
- The Kestrel shares the same sheath style with the other thrown melee weapons, where they retract and attach under the right forearm.
Media[edit | edit source]
Patch History[edit | edit source]
Last updated: Update 26.0