The Ignis is a Grineer flamethrower used by Grineer Scorch and Hyekka Masters. The Ignis releases a long reaching continuous spray of flames in a frontal area of effect, making it exceptionally useful for handling large crowds, albeit at the cost of high ammo usage and a fixed range.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
This weapon deals Heat damage.
- Innate Heat damage – effective against Cloned Flesh, Infested, and Infested Flesh.
- Very high status chance.
- Pinpoint accuracy.
- Heavy Caliber's accuracy penalty is minimal on this weapon.
- Large magazine size.
- High ammo capacity.
- Beam has a thickness of 0.15 meters, and the zone of impact or maximum beam range has a spherical radius of 3 meters, allowing it to hit multiple enemies at once.
- Largest beam thickness of all continuous weapons.
- Innate infinite punch through against bodies.
- Consumes 0.5 ammo per tick of damage.
- Can benefit from Firestorm ( Primed) and Amalgam Furax Body Count.
- Innate Heat damage – less effective against Proto Shields.
- Damage ramps up from 35% to 100% over 0.6 seconds when firing. After firing stops for 0.8 seconds, the damage decays back to 35% over 2 seconds.
- Low critical chance.
- Limited range of 20 meters.
- Innate punch through does not apply to surfaces, requiring punch through mods.
- Ignis, compared to Ignis Wraith:
- Lower base damage (33.0 vs. 35.0)
- Lower critical chance (11% vs. 17%)
- Lower critical multiplier (2x vs. 2.5x)
- Lower status chance (27% vs. 29%)
- Smaller magazine (150 rounds vs. 200 rounds)
- Smaller max ammo capacity (750 rounds vs. 800 rounds)
- Slower reload speed (2 s vs. 1.7 s)
- Lower Mastery Rank required (5 vs. 9)
- Higher disposition (0.6 vs. 0.55)
- Lower range (20 meters vs 27 meters)
Acquisition[edit | edit source]
|Time: 24 hrs|
|Market Price: N/A||Blueprints Price:15,000|
|Chem Lab Research 3,000|
|Time: 72 hrs|
|Prereq: Detonite Injector|
|x1 x3 x10 x30 x100|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Ignis' hit detection is composed of two parts:
- A perfectly accurate central beam that reaches up to 20 meters. This beam has a 0.15-meter thickness, unlike other beam weapons whose beams are very narrow.
- A 3-meter spherical radius that appears at the zone of impact or maximum range.
- Range of beam thickness and the area of effect are unaffected by Sinister Reach.
- When combined with other elemental mods, such as Cold, it will no longer deal the original fire damage, losing its high bonus versus Light Infested (+50%). Thus, it is advised to add Toxin damage to create Gas damage to kill Light Infested. Add Electricity + Toxin to create Corrosive damage, and add Cold to create Blast damage to kill Heavy Infested.
- As of Hotfix 11.3.3, the fire rate is affected by mods.
- Shade's Ghost can activate even if the Ignis is being fired, so long as the fire key is held down upon Ghost's activation.
- The Ignis' spherical AoE can destroy rockets launched from a Bombard's Ogris.
- The Ignis can deal headshots and target enemy weakspots.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Hellfire and Wildfire apply Heat damage to the weapon. They do not act like base damage mods, but rather stack with the innate Heat damage of the weapon.
- Adding Corrosive, Magnetic, or Gas in addition to Heat damage makes the Ignis very effective versus Grineer / Corpus / Infested, though less effective against Corpus Proto Shields.
- It is a wise idea to equip a long-ranged weapon in your secondary slot when using the Ignis.
- It is unwise to have Specters equip this gun as they only fire on targets when they are ~10m away from them.
- Combustion Beam can also be equipped to the Ignis, causing enemies to deal damage on death to other nearby enemies. This aids in crowd control and quicker elimination of weaker and closely-grouped enemies.
- Sinister Reach can also be equipped on the Ignis, greatly increasing the range of its central beam. This will also move the spherical AoE forward by the same distance.
- The radius of the spherical AoE can be increased with Firestorm.
- Due to its nature of AoE, this weapon is particularly effective against destructible projectiles.
- Adding Heavy Caliber as a second Serration results in an increase of damage. The reduction of accuracy will cause the beam to slightly waver, which is a negative for most weapons, but is arguably a benefit for the Ignis as the effective AoE spread will widen slightly.
- The loss in accuracy is small enough that the central beam will still land headshots consistently at maximum distance, even with Sinister Reach equipped.
- The Ignis is designed to deal with crowds, spreading low damage but hitting all enemies in range, where most other weapons (besides explosive dealing AoE weapons) are single or multi-target. In other words, the larger the crowd, the better the weapon becomes at distributing damage compared to most other weapons.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Ignis is Latin for "fire".
- Prior to Update 17.8, the Ignis' appearance was simply a modified Grakata.
- Oddly it wasn't just the appearance, as the update that changed the model and reload animation of the Ignis made the Grakata reload as if it was the Ignis.
- The Ignis was first shown in the developer Livestream #5.
- The volume of fuel the Ignis carries would be impossible in the real world using today's technology, as the duration of continuous fire of the entire magazine lasts far longer than actual flamethrowers. This implies that the fuel used (possibly derived from Detonite) is extremely efficient.
- The front portion of the barrel heats up through continuous firing of the weapon, visible after roughly 25 units of ammo has been expended.
- Changing the default Heat damage of the Ignis modifies the visual effects of the flame released depending on the new element: Blast damage causes the barrel to emit sparks, Radiation damage generates bolts of electricity within the flame, and Gas damage changes the flame into a thick cloud.
- In earlier builds, this change overrode any color customizations to the Ignis' flame color.
Media[edit | edit source]
Patch History[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
- Grineer Scorch, the Grineer unit that uses this weapon.
- Ignis Wraith, the Wraith variant of this weapon
|Weapons • Damage • Compare All • Cosmetics|