The Hyena Pack are the final bosses of the Neptune planet, made up by four unique and deadly variants of the Hyena proxy. They work in packs of up to four with each of them possessing a unique set of abilities. Each Hyena possesses a plasma repeater, and they are far more agile than any other enemy (other than the Grineer Manic) in the game, including Zanuka and Zanuka Hunter. Alongside their agility, they can also jump on to and cling to walls, though they cannot wallrun. Lotus has marked them for assassination for obvious reasons, as they are a very dangerous proxy group and destroying the models may slow down further production.
They can be found on the mission Psamathe on Neptune. After defeating them and finishing the mission, you receive either a Loki Neuroptics, Chassis or Systems blueprint. Upon death, all the Hyenas have a chance of dropping Orokin Cells or Control Modules.
There are four unique variants of the Hyenas, each possessing unique color scheme. Hyena LN2 is overall white, Hyena Pb has a mix between green and brown, Hyena Ng's color is a blend between yellow and crimson, and Hyena Th's color is a shade ranging from teal to dark blue.
Unlike most other bosses (excluding The Sergeant), the Hyena Pack appears in specific standard rooms instead of a special arena; however, like other bosses, the pack taunts the players during the mission and has its own opening cinematic. Here is a list of their taunts:
- "The Pack is watching you"
- "The Pack can smell you"
- "The Pack grows excited, we have been waiting for this."
- "The Pack calls for your death."
- "The Pack says: 'kill them off one by one' "
- "The Pack says: 'kill the weakest one first' "
- "The Pack sings when you die."
- "The Pack is designed to enjoy this, It is in its circuits."
- "Hyena down: The Pack will intensify the hunt."
- "Hyena disabled: The Pack grows weak."
- "Hyena destroyed, our circuits demand revenge."
The Hyena Pack, true to the intel, work in packs of up to four with each of them possessing a unique set of abilities. Each Hyena possesses a plasma repeater and are far more agile than any other enemy in the game, including Zanuka and Zanuka Hunter. Alongside their agility, they can also jump on to and cling to walls, though they cannot wallrun.
Frost's Ice Wave; this guarantees Cold proc and inflicts significant damage.
Hyena LN2's Repeater deals Cold Damage, and Hyena LN2 itself generates a freezing aura effect, which constantly inflicts Cold proc nearby, drastically slowing down those in its vicinity.
|Ice WaveSends a wave of razor sharp, crystallized ice towards an enemy dealing heavy damage and slowing those caught in its wake.||Strength:High (Damage)|
Lieutenant Lech Kril
- If Kril tries to use Ice Wave while one of his cryo hoses is loose, his attack will backfire and freeze him instead.
Blast Grenade capable of knocking down the player. It is also capable of performing Fire Wave, which lights a path of ground on fire and also guarantees Fire proc.
|Blast GrenadeShoots a volatile, burning grenade which will explode in a blast on physical contact.||Strength:High (Damage)|
|Users:General Sargas Ruk|
|Fire WaveSends a wave of pyre, combusting flames towards an enemy, dealing heavy damage and burning those caught in its wake.||Strength:High (Damage)|
Lieutenant Lech Kril
Lead Storm, where it will jump into the air, spin, and fire a large number of projectiles to all directions as an anti close-combat measure.
|Lead StormShoots a very high amount of bullets in all directions to deal massive damage against all nearby targets.||Strength:Extremely High (Damage)|
- Hyena Pb jumps approximately a meter to a meter and a half off the ground, then spins and shoots an extremely high amount of Blast bullets in all directions.
- Hyena Pb prefers to use Lead Storm at point blank to inflict maximum damage. It can very easily rip through defensive powers such as Iron Skin and even the heaviest shields. Most Warframes will likely be incapacitated, and Sentinels will almost certainly be destroyed.
- Lead Storm has very little offensive capability against long range targets, try to keep as much distance as possible.
Electric Surge, a wave of electricity that travels quickly across the ground; a Shock Bolt that guarantees Electric proc; and the ability to Charge at nearby enemies.
Hyena Th's Repeater deals Electricity Damage and Hyena Th itself possesses a constant Disruption Aura. Simply being near it will induce the Magnetic proc, scrambling the screen and instantly draining all energy as well as a large chunk of shields.
|ChargeHyena charges towards a target, clobbering any in his path and stomping his victim.||Strength:N/A|
|Users:Hyena Th, John Prodman|
- Hyena Th lifts one of its paw, before stomping it on the ground and charges towards its target by 20 meters distance. Any in its path hit by this charge will be knocked down.
- Has a notably long cast delay, which provides some time to dodge this ability.
|Electric SurgeSurges a high voltage of thunder, which travels towards an enemy dealing heavy damage.||Strength:High (Damage)|
The Hyena pack is capable of taking a beating. They all have hard hitting attacks, and if not careful, you will have no energy for any abilities. A loadout containing Radiation damage is recommended in order to deal with the Hyenas effectively.
As with other bosses, it is important to eliminate surrounding grunts first before targeting the Hyena pack, which is even more important due to the Hyenas seemingly buffing them. However, keep in mind attempting to flee is nigh-useless; the Hyenas have the power to teleport Tenno into the same room as them.
Hyena Th is by far the toughest to deal with if one relies on their energy pool to fight. Taking out Hyena Th should always be your primary concern due to its Disruption Aura being capable of instantly draining shields and energy upon proximity, along with the hud-scrambling effect.
Always try to keep a medium-long distance when fighting against Hyena Pb; tanking its Lead Storm at close proximity will ensure heavy damage (if not death) as well as an almost-guaranteed Blast proc. By keeping your distance, Hyena Pb is the least concern due to its lack of long-range abilities. This ability can also be extremely taken advantage of by Trinity or Nidus: using Link or Parasitic Link will cause instant death at close range, though it may also kill you if you have low health and shields.
Due to their high firepower, shields, and health, it is somewhat difficult for an unprepared Tenno to beat the Hyena Pack alone. Being able to damage the Hyena Pack's proto shields is vital, so consider bringing weapons with high impact damage (like Gorgon or Karak).
As is the standard strategy against multiple difficult foes, Divide and Conquer. Focus on one Hyena at a time and stay away from the others.
Due to Th's Disruption Aura, caster frames like Nova and Trinity may be left without any means of support, offense and defense. Due to this, tanky frames like Rhino and Valkyr may do better over casters.
Squad Energy Restores may prove useful. Though a slightly expensive investment, the energy restoration effect can allow players to get back on their feet after being drained by Hyena Th.
Utilizing Warframe AbilitiesEdit
Even at Sortie level, a positive ability strength Nova can easily kill them. Simply use Molecular Prime to slow them down, then use Antimatter Drop for damage. One fully charged Drop can kill all three of them.
- In earlier versions the Hyena was said to be a new Corpus proxy that hunted in packs. However, you only fought one during the mission. This was eventually changed in Update 12.0 with the Hyena finally becoming a pack boss as a tie-in to the Ties That Bind alert.
- The Hyena was also fourth & the first Corpus boss in the game to receive a complete overhaul.
- For that matter, prior to Update 12 the Hyena was essentially a scaled-down Jackal in both size and firepower.
- Each of the Hyenas is named after a chemical element or compound that reflects their abilities.
- LN2 (Liquid Nitrogen) is nitrogen in a liquid state at an extremely low temperature as low as −196 °C (77 K; −321 °F) which reflects Hyena LN2's ice-based abilities.
- Pb (Lead) is one of the elements most commonly used for bullets, which reflects Hyena Pb's extremely high amount of firepower.
- Ng (Nitroglycerin) is a heavy, colorless, oily, explosive liquid commonly used in explosives like dynamite, reflecting Hyena Ng's explosive firepower.
- Th (Thorium) is a naturally occurring radioactive chemical element which is paramagnetic (slightly affected by magnetism); while this somewhat explains Hyena Th's magnetic properties, its electrical attacks may be a reference to the element's namesake, Thor.
- The Hyena Pack is the third boss that consists of multiple entities; the first being the combo fight with Lieutenant Lech Kril and Captain Vor on Ceres, and the second being the first phase of Lephantis. Originally the fight always consisted of all four Hyenas at once, but this was later changed in favor of scaling with player number, with solo attempts getting two randomly chosen Hyenas.
- It appears that Hyena NG (Nitroglycerin) is the leader of the Hyena Pack since it is the only Hyena seen broadcasting the taunts to players, and that it is the central Hyena in the panorama. It is also the Hyena that has been seen the most in the game as it appears in the Hyena Facility Tactical Alert and the Proxy Rebellion weekend alerts.
- The Hyena Pack can be seen mounting Pentas on their backs in the Codex and during a mission, but do not have said weapon in the mission lobby.
- It seems that the Hyena Pack can be fought in at least two different tiles.
- This trait is also shared with The Sergeant both using the same exact tiles.
- Hyena Th's electric attacks often leave particle effects on the map that do not naturally dissipate.
- Sometimes when you reach the Hyena pack, Lotus will not say that you have reached the assassination target, meaning that if you kill all of the Hyena pack (If you are playing with a full squad) Lotus will not say nice work on taking out the assassination target get to extraction, so that means you can't finish the mission, it is unknown if you can find extraction and if it will actually beat the mission. Although this normally happens if you skip the boss cutscene while it doesn't when you watch the cutscene through, so watching the cutscene is recommended to avoid this bug.
- On attempts with only one or two players, it is possible for the mission to bug out if neither of the Hyenas is Ng, as it will still be Ng sending transmissions. Even if the actual Hyenas are killed, Ng will still send transmissions, but not actually be present, thus making the mission impossible.