The Hyena Pack are the Corpus bosses of Neptune, made up of four unique and deadly variants of the Hyena proxy. Functioning like a pack, each Hyena is equipped with a plasma repeater, high agility, and can wall cling.
The Hyena Pack are fought in the mission Psamathe, Neptune, and after defeating them and finishing the mission, the player will receive Loki component blueprints. They can also be found during Razorback Armada missions, and a completely different set of Hyena proxies exist on the Orb Vallis. Upon death, all the Hyenas have a chance of dropping Orokin Cells or Control Modules.
There are four unique variants of the Hyenas, each possessing a unique color scheme. Hyena LN2 is overall white, Hyena Ng is a blend between yellow and crimson, Hyena Pb has a mix between green and brown, and Hyena Th is a shade ranging from teal to dark blue.
Unlike most other bosses (excluding The Sergeant), the Hyena Pack appears in specific standard rooms instead of a special arena; however, like other bosses, the pack taunts the players during the mission and has its own opening cinematic. Here is a list of their taunts:
- "The Pack is watching you"
- "The Pack can smell you"
- "The Pack grows excited, we have been waiting for this."
- "The Pack calls for your death."
- "The Pack says: 'kill them off one by one' "
- "The Pack says: 'kill the weakest one first' "
- "The Pack sings when you die."
- "The Pack is designed to enjoy this, It is in its circuits."
- "Hyena down: The Pack will intensify the hunt."
- "Hyena disabled: The Pack grows weak."
- "Hyena destroyed, our circuits demand revenge."
The Hyena Pack work in packs up to four, with each of them possessing a unique set of abilities. All of them are armed with a plasma repeater, can move around quite quickly, and can wall cling.
- Main article: Hyena Pack/LN2
Hyena LN2 (Liquid Nitrogen) is a whitish-colored Hyena that uses Cold damage as part of its arsenal.
- Main article: Hyena Pack/Ng
Hyena Ng (Nitroglycerin) is a yellow-crimson Hyena that uses Heat as part of its arsenal.
It's plasma repeater deals Heat damage, constantly radiates a flaming aura around it that gives it resistance to Heat damage, can release a grenade that explodes that deals Heat and Blast damage, and can release a cone of flame in front of it.
- Main article: Hyena Pack/Pb
Hyena Pb (Lead) is a green/brown Hyena that relies on heavy firepower as part of its arsenal.
It's plasma repeater deals Slash and Puncture damage, it occasionally projects a shield aura to restore shields to itself and its allies, and occasionally jumps into the air to produce a Lead Storm where it spins and fires a large number of Blast bullets in all directions.
- Main article: Hyena Pack/Th
It's plasma repeater deals Electricity damage, constantly radiates a disrupting aura around it that inflicts Magnetic procs, can rush forward and knock down any Tenno in its path, can release a sphere of electricity, and can release a cone of electricity in front of it which also inflicts Magnetic procs.
Instead of relying on some form of defensive measure, the Hyena Pack works to overwhelm the Tenno through teamwork and numbers. LN2 uses Cold to slow the Tenno, Ng uses Heat damaging attacks, Pb deals high burst damage by releasing bullets all over the place, and Th uses Electricity attacks and Magnetic procs to disrupt Tenno systems.
While Tenno only need to damage the Hyena until they die, this can prove to be difficult from the Pack's tactics. As such, it may be better to divide and conquer, focusing down one Hyena at a time.
- In earlier versions the Hyena was said to be a new Corpus proxy that hunted in packs, but the player only fought one. This was eventually changed in Update 12.0 with the Hyena finally becoming a pack boss as a tie-in to the Ties That Bind alert.
- The Hyena was also fourth & the first Corpus boss in the game to receive a complete overhaul.
- For that matter, prior to Update 12 the Hyena was essentially a scaled-down Jackal in both size and firepower.
- Each of the Hyenas is named after a chemical element or compound that reflects their abilities.
- LN2 (Liquid Nitrogen) is nitrogen in a liquid state at an extremely low temperature as low as −196 °C (77 K; −321 °F) which reflects Hyena LN2's ice-based abilities.
- Pb (Lead) is one of the elements most commonly used for bullets, which reflects Hyena Pb's extremely high amount of firepower.
- Ng (Nitroglycerin) is a heavy, colorless, oily, explosive liquid commonly used in explosives like dynamite, reflecting Hyena Ng's explosive firepower.
- Th (Thorium) is a naturally occurring radioactive chemical element which is paramagnetic (slightly affected by magnetism); while this somewhat explains Hyena Th's magnetic properties, its electrical attacks may be a reference to the element's namesake, Thor.
- The Hyena Pack is the third boss that consists of multiple entities; the first being the combo fight with Lieutenant Lech Kril and Captain Vor on Ceres, and the second being the first phase of Lephantis. Originally the fight always consisted of all four Hyenas at once, but this was later changed in favor of scaling with player number, with solo attempts getting two randomly chosen Hyenas.
- It appears that Hyena NG (Nitroglycerin) is the leader of the Hyena Pack since it is the only Hyena seen broadcasting the taunts to players and that it is the central Hyena in the panorama. It is also the Hyena that has been seen the most in the game as it appears in the Hyena Facility Tactical Alert and the Proxy Rebellion weekend alerts.
- The Hyena Pack can be seen mounting Pentas on their backs in the Codex and during a mission, but do not have said weapon in the mission lobby.
- Every member of the Hyena pack can have their own seperate Death mark.