Release Date: October 31st, 2019
Indulge amid the stench of battle as Grendel the voracious gourmand, greedily swallowing armies whole into his fathomless maw. Corpulent and courageous, he consumes prey to invigorate kindred warriors, or disgorges the eaten out drenched in putrid acidic bile. Stampede through strongholds as a spherical menace, leaving cadavers in the wake crushed by his thunderous quake. Grendel's feeding frenzy began in Update 26: The Old Blood.
Grendel's main blueprint can be purchased from the Market. Grendel's component blueprints are awarded by completing certain missions on Europa using Locators, which can be purchased from the Arbitration Honors vendor found in any Relay for 25 each.
Purchasing a Locator will unlock the unique mission associated with it, which guarantees the associated Grendel component as a reward. These missions will have level 40-45 enemies, however players will be unable to use their Gear items, Kuva and Tenet weapons will not have their elemental damage bonus, Operators cannot be used, and any Focus abilities will be disabled. Also all Mods will be deactivated, except Warframe Augment Mods, which will still work.
- The Grendel Neuroptics Locator unlocks the Archaeo-freighter, a 20-minute Survival mission.
- The Grendel Chassis Locator unlocks the Icefields of Riddah, a 15-wave Defense mission.
- The Grendel Systems Locator unlocks the Mine of Karishh, an Excavation mission where players have to collect 800 Cryotic.
Locators are only consumed after completing the mission, requiring the purchase of another Locator to unlock once again. However, only the squad host requires a Locator, allowing them to invite other players to participate in the mission, and the component reward will be granted to all players upon completion.
|Time: 72 hrs|
|Market Price: 325||Blueprints Price:N/A|
|Grendel Neuroptics Blueprint|
|Time: 12 hrs|
|Grendel Chassis Blueprint|
|Time: 12 hrs|
|Grendel Systems Blueprint|
|Time: 12 hrs|
- Main article: Leverian#Grendel
As the Executor lived a luxurious life within a walled house in the city, his citizens starved beneath him, but the Executor commanded yet another twelve-meal course for himself and his twelve digestive exo-sacs. Assisted by , Grendel found Karishh, resulting in the lavish Executor fleeing across the hills and mountains of Riddha as an escape attempt. Grendel pursued the Executor and eventually caught up to him, resulting in the attempt proving futile. Trapped on a mountain peak, Karishh found his fate inside Grendel's belly, then belched out shortly after.
- When Grendel wields his signature , he will become immune to crowd-control effects while performing Heavy Attacks.
- Grendel sports the third highest base health of all Warframes, behind and .
- Sprint Speed mods do not appear to affect the speed of , however, the does increase double jump height whilst in the ability.
- Despite retaining the UI of the last equipped weapon, Grendel is unable to activate Syndicate Radial Effects while in Pulverize.
- Grendel is named for the villainous giant in the epic poem Beowulf. Among Grendel's epithets is "the destroyer and devourer of our human kind," and he is described as eating the flesh from the humans he kills.
- During his development, Grendel was referred to as the "Oni" Warframe. In Japanese folklore, Oni are depicted as hulking, horned ogres with a penchant for terrorizing humans, up to and including devouring them.
- Grendel's alternate helmet "Glutt" derived from the word glutton, as a reference to his insatiable hunger.
- This naming choice is a bit of a contradiction, as the Grendel's Leverian exhibit explicitly states "Grendel may hunger, yes, but not with the excesses of gluttony."
- The pose Grendel strikes during is based on sumo wrestlers.
- Grendel is the 42nd Warframe to be released (excluding Primed and Umbra variants).
- Grendel is the first Warframe whose component blueprints are obtained from exclusive mission nodes, which requires Vitus Essences and, in turn, Arbitrations.
- Grendel was originally intended to release simultaneously with his best friend , but required more time for development. As a nod to their friendship, Gauss appears in Grendel's Warframe Profile to receive his support from , as well as a mention in Grendel's Leverian exhibit.
- Grendel's belly maw snaps open with the use of his abilities, namely and .
- Grendel's belly visually enlarges and gains jiggle physics when enemies are eaten and stored with Feast.
- Voicelines spoken by enemies inside Grendel's gut have a muffled and gurgled sound overlay.
Devouring his prey whole, slowly digests the enemies he swallows via . For each enemy still alive in his belly, Grendel passively gains 50 Armor points.
- Armor bonus per enemy is not affected by Mods and has a limit of 2,000 bonus armor at the 40 enemy cap.
- Armor bonus is added after armor mods such as . For example, Grendel with a rank 10 Steel Fiber and one enemy alive in his belly will have Total armor = (350 × (1 + 1.1)) + 50 = 785
- Armor bonus adds or subtracts depending on the number of enemies currently residing in Grendel's stomach.
- Armor bonus amount is displayed beside the shield and health bars on the HUD.
Swallow an enemy whole and store it in Grendel’s gut. Not satisfied? Keep eating, but beware, each foe in Grendel’s belly slowly consumes energy. Hold to vomit out stored enemies covering them in toxic bile.
|Strength:2 / 3 / 4 / 5 % (armor removal per second)|
250 / 300 / 450 / 500 ( damage on vomit)
|Range:10 / 15 / 20 / 25 m (swallow range)|
|Misc:1.5 s (maw open duration)|
1 s (maw open extra duration per enemy)
100% ( status chance on vomit)
8 m (vomit cone range)
40 (Max enemy body count)
- Grendel opens his maw agape for 1.5 seconds, creating a powerful vacuum that disintegrates enemies near the aiming reticle within 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 meters and swallowing them whole to trap them inside Grendel's stomach. For each enemy swallowed by Feast, Grendel's maw stays open for an extra 1 second. Eaten enemies permanently lose 2% / 3% / 4% / 5% of their Armor points for every second spent trapped inside Grendel's gut. A maximum of 40 enemies can be held within Grendel's stomach.
- Swallow range is affected by Ability Range.
- Armor removal per second is affected by Ability Strength.
- Maw open duration, extra duration per enemy, and maximum enemy count are not affected by Mods.
- Grendel can swallow multiple enemies by moving the aiming reticle to mark new targets with Feast, while his maw is still open.
- Number of eaten enemies is displayed on the ability icon.
- Feast also vacuums Pickups and thrown Hand Grenades near the aiming reticle for Grendel. Swallowed grenades will detonate inside Grendel's stomach and only damage nearby enemies.
- Drains 1.5 Energy points per second until killed or spat out; Each enemy swallowed beyond 2 enemies will increase the drain by an additional 1.5 energy. Energy drain increases by 0.05 energy per second as long as enemies remain in Grendel's gut.
- Hold down the ability key (default scaling damage with a 100% status chance to vomitted enemies and other enemies within 8 meters in a cone in front of Grendel. Grendel also vomits all enemies out automatically when his energy pool is empty.
) to violently vomit all stored enemies out for no energy cost, inflicting 250 / 300 / 400 / 500
- Toxin damage on vomit is affected by enemy level and amount of enemies stored.
- Feast's Toxin damage on vomit benefits from sum of enemies levels stored using the following expression:
- Total Toxin Damage = Toxin Base Damage × ((ΣEnemy Level - 1) / 15 + 1)
- With 10 eaten enemies at level 101, Grendel will deal 500 × ((101 × 10 - 1) / 15 + 1) = 34,133.33 damage on vomit. Resulting damage is rounded down to the nearest whole number.
- status effect inflicts 50% of total damage every tick for 6 ticks over 6 seconds. In the example above, Grendel will further deal (34,133.33 / 2) = 17,066.67 damage per tick, 17,066.67 × 6 = 102,400 damage in the span of a single effect, for a grand total of 34,133.33 + 102,400 = 136,533.33 damage.
- Status chance and vomit cone range are not affected by mods.
- Sentient enemies swallowed by Grendel will automatically be expelled after 8 seconds. Repeated swallowing of the same enemies will reduce the maximum duration they can stay inside Grendel's stomach.
- Grendel cannot Feast on enemies grabbed by certain Warframe abilities, including ' , 's in Vortex mode and Tether Coil from , 's , 's , 's and in suck mode, ' with , 's Gaze from , 's , 's and , 's by from , 's and , 's , 's , enemies in-flight from 's , and enemies held or in-flight by Bonewidow's .
- Bosses cannot be Feasted.
- Feasted enemies are considered removed from play, removing them from Exterminate waypoints and allowing Defense waves to advance, even if they are still alive.
- Ability Synergy:
- Main article: Gourmand
|Rank||Health Cost||Health Drain||Cost|
- Volatile Runners swallowed by Grendel’s Feast have a tendency to explode from within, causing Grendel to stagger.
- Increasing the Ability Range of Grendel’s Feast increases the effective Vacuum Range, this is especially useful for survival since feast can be used to Vacuum Life Support pickups from a fair distance without having to leave the current room.
- Helminth subsumed has no effect on enemies within Grendel's stomach, meaning they will not drain energy but Feast's damage over time will not heal Grendel. The lifesteal will still apply if the enemies within his stomach take damage from Feast's vomit, , or .
Inflict damage on Feasted enemies in Grendel's gut one by one, absorbing nourishment to buff allies. Tap to cycle through buffs and hold to cast.
|Strength:1000 / 1500 / 2000 / 2500 ( damage on digestion)|
20 / 30 / 40 / 50 (self heal on cast)
1.1 / 1.15 / 1.2 / 1.25 x (Nourished Energy multiplier)
100 / 150 / 200 / 250 (Nourished Armor damage on hit)
+20% / +30% / +40% / +50% (Nourished Strike damage buff)
|Duration:10 / 15 / 20 / 25 s (buff duration)|
|Range:10 / 15 / 20 / 25 m (buff radius)|
5 / 6 / 7 / 8 m (splash radius)
|Misc:1 s (splash cooldown)|
?% (speed boost for Pulverize)
|Subsumable to Helminth|
- Ever the gourmet though lenient in the foes he devours, Grendel selectively absorbs one of three types of nourishment from his stomach contents by tapping the ability key (default
), to freely cycle between the Nourished Energy, Nourished Armor, and Nourished Strike buffs.
- Nourish buff cycle selection wheel is displayed above the ability icons.
- Grendel derives nourishment from the enemies he consumes, producing three unique buffs for himself and his allies.
- Holding the ability key causes Grendel to stomp the ground, forcibly digesting the first eaten enemy in his gut, inflicting 1000 / 1500 / 2000 / 2,500 damage to the victim and recovering Grendel's health with 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 scaling Health points. Grendel and allies within 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 meters receive the selected Nourished buff lasting for 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 seconds.
- Toxin damage on digestion is affected by Ability Strength.
- Self heal on cast is affected by Ability Strength and enemy level.
- Self heal begins to scale linearly at enemy level 15, using the formula:
- Total Self Heal = Heal Value × (1 + Ability Strength) × (Enemy Level / 15)
- Buff radius is affected by Ability Range.
- Buff duration is affected by Ability Duration.
- Allies eligible to receive Nourish from Grendel include: Warframes, Companions, Defense Objects, etc.
- Nourished buff timers are displayed under the icons in Grendel's cycle selection wheel. Allies receive a buff icon beside their shield and health indicators on the HUD.
- Energy multiplier is affected by Ability Strength.
- Toxin damage buff is affected by Ability Strength.
- Ability Synergy:
- Can be recast while active, inflicting damage to the eaten enemy, healing Grendel, buffing new allies in range, and refreshing the selected buff's duration if active.
- Subsuming Grendel to the Helminth will offer Nourish and its augments to be used by other Warframes.
- Other Warframes are omitted from the swallowed enemy requirement, due to their inability to cast .
- Only the self heal and Nourished Strike effects are available from Subsumed Nourish.
- As other Warframes cannot swallow enemies, the self heal formula treats the enemy level as 35 and scales only with Ability Strength.
Violently puke out a bile soaked enemy from Grendel’s gut, turning the consumed into a toxic projectile.
|Strength:300 / 500 / 1,000 / 1,200 ( damage on impact)|
|Range:3 / 4 / 5 / 5 m (splash radius)|
|Misc:? m/s (projectile speed)|
1.0x (damage multiplier per 10 enemy levels)
0.61s (cast time)
- Grendel convulses his stomach as his maw snaps open, violently expelling out an eaten enemy soaked in acidic bile from inside his gut. The enemy is launched toward the aiming reticle as a living projectile, traveling at a speed of ? meters per second in an arcing trajectory. On direct collision with other enemies, obstacles or surfaces, the launched enemy suffers 300 / 500 / 1,000 / 1,200 scaling damage and inflicts 1,200 damage to all enemies within a radius of 3 / 4 / 5 / 5 meters around the impact point. Additionally, Regurgitate inflicts 250 / 300 / 400 / 500 damage with a 100% status chance to enemies within 8 meters in a cone in front of Grendel when expelling the last enemy in his stomach.
- Cone damage is not affected by Ability Strength or enemy level.
- Toxin damage on impact is affected by Ability Strength and enemy level.
- Radial Toxin damage is affected by Ability Strength, enemy level, , , and .
- Regurgitate's Toxin damage on enemy impact and radial Toxin damage benefits from Ability Strength and enemy level using the following expression:
- Total Toxin Damage = Toxin Damage × (1 + Ability Strength) × Enemy Level Multiplier
- Splash radius is affected by Ability Range while the cone radius is not.
- The launched enemy travels in a ragdoll state and must recover once it lands.
- Ability Synergy:
Powered by feasting, Grendel curls into a ball and knocks over anyone in his path. Jumping slams Grendel into the ground and generates a damaging shockwave.
|Strength:25 ( damage per second)|
250 - 1,000 / 250 - 2,000 / 500 - 3,000 / 500 - 4,000 ( damage on collision)
50 - 200 / 100 - 300 / 100 - 400 / 150 - 500 ( damage on ground slam)
|Range:2 - 6 / 3 - 8 / 4 - 10 / 5 - 15 m (ground slam radius)|
|Misc:2.5 - 5 m (collision radius)|
10 (scaling bonuses enemy cap)
1.0x (damage multiplier per 10 enemy levels)
100% ( status chance on slam)
?% (speed boost from Nourish)
- Engorged with enemies inside his gut, Grendel curls up into a roving sphere that changes his movement controls into a directional physics-based roll. As he roves, Grendel slowly digests enemies inside his stomach, inflicting 25 damage per second.
- Toxin damage per second is affected by Ability Strength.
- Grendel can only perform a limited selection of parkour Maneuvers, such as sprint, jump, double jump, and wall jump during Pulverize.
- Grendel is unable to utilize weapons and cannot cast , , or any Helminth subsumed abilities during Pulverize.
- Grendel will accelerate faster when rolling downhill and ricochet off of terrain obstacles.
- Grendel tramples over his enemies with varying levels of power and reach, depending on the techniques he uses and the fuel within.
- In sphere form, Grendel constantly emits a kinetic field with a 2.5 - 5 meter scaling radius, which reacts to his movement to inflict 250 - 1,000 / 250 - 2,000 / 500 - 3,000 / 500 - 4,000 scaling damage against enemies coming into range. Enemies colliding with Grendel receive damage and are knocked away from his path.
- Impact damage on collision is affected by Ability Strength, enemy level, and amount of enemies stored (capped at the maximum of 10).
- Impact damage on collision benefits from Ability Strength, enemy level and amount of enemies stored using the following expression:
- Total Impact Damage = [Impact Base Damage + (Number of Enemies Stored≤10 × 350)] × (1 + Ability Strength) × Enemy Level Multiplier
- Impact damage on collision does not occur if Grendel is stationary.
- Collision radius is affected by the number of eaten enemies in Grendel's gut, reaching maximum radius with 10 enemies. Grendel's sphere model also drastically increases in size based on the eaten enemy count.
- Collision damage and range values are calculated when Pulverize is activated. Any changes in Ability Strength, enemy level, and amount of enemies stored that occur after activation will not affect the damage and range Grendel currently uses for Pulverize.
- Impact damage on ground slam is affected by Ability Strength, enemy level, and amount of enemies stored (capped at the maximum of 10).
- Impact damage on ground slam benefits from Ability Strength, enemy level and amount of enemies stored using the following expression:
- Total Impact Damage = [Impact Base Damage + (Number of Enemies Stored≤10 × 35)] × (1 + Ability Strength) × Enemy Level Multiplier
- Ground slam radius is affected by both Ability Range and the number of eaten enemies inside Grendel's gut, reaching maximum radius with 10 enemies.
- status chance is not affected by mods.
- Pulverize costs 0 Energy to cast, instead using the energy drain from to maintain his sphere form. If Grendel's stomach becomes empty during Pulverize, he begins to drain 10 energy per second to sustain his sphere form, ramping up to ? energy per second the longer Pulverize remains active.
- Press the ability key again (default ) to deactivate this ability early. Pulverize will deactivate automatically when Grendel runs out of energy, causing Grendel to unfurl and vomit out all eaten enemies, as well as become stunned in a dizziness animation for 2 seconds.
- Ability Synergy:
- Pulverize requires at least 1 enemy swallowed by to be alive in Grendel's gut in order to activate. For Pulverize to reach its maximum potential damage and range, Grendel must consume and store at least 10 enemies in his stomach.
- Grendel can select and activate buffs during Pulverize, provided he has at least one enemy in his gut. Casting Nourish also grants a ?% movement speed boost to his sphere form.
|Strength Mods||Duration Mods||Range Mods|
|• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •|
|Attributes • Helminth • Augments • Compare All • Cosmetics|