Defection is an Endless Mission type introduced in Update 19.12 (2017-03-02) for the The Pacifism Defect event. This game mode tasks players with escorting small squads of Kavor Defectors to an extraction point while defending against the Infested.
Originally introduced under the name "Evacuation", this mission type was renamed as part of Update 21.0 (2017-06-29), and is now the source for 's Systems component. All three Defection nodes are Dark Sectors.
Players start near a shuttle bay room, which the Kavor defectors must reach in order to escape the ship. The mission begins and timers for periodic events begin to elapse once a player hacks the door leading out of the shuttle bay.
Kavor defectors will spawn in 4-man squads (3-man squads for solo play) 30 seconds after the mission officially begins, and every 40 seconds after the previous group is rescued, though this countdown can be set to zero instantly if one player activates a rush panel indicated by an orange icon. These Kavor defectors will then head towards the nearest Med Booster, a structure that will heal nearby Kavor defectors with a green beam. Med Boosters start at 50% power (60% power for solo play) and will consume power as they heal Kavor defectors, with more survivors resulting in faster energy drain. To keep the Med Boosters powered, players can acquire Power Cells dropped by Mutalist Osprey Carriers, which they can carry to a Med Booster to recharge its power by 20% (40% for solo play) per Power Cell. Players must issue a Move Out command on the Kavor defectors to make them proceed to the shuttle bay for extraction.
After two squads of survivors have been evacuated, the player's extraction point will be opened up, and the second Med Booster will spawn in a different location of the map (B). After two more squads have been evacuated, a third Med Booster will spawn along with opening up more of the map (C). From this point on, points B and C will both begin hosting a squad of Kavor defectors, with them both pathing to A's Med Booster, and then to their evac location. (In solo play, squads will still spawn one at a time, but spawns will alternate between points B and C.)
Kavor defectors will slowly take damage over time from the Infested spores in the air while they are not within range of a powered Med Booster. Downed Kavor defectors will enter bleedout, and will turn into Carrion Chargers unless revived by players or a powered Med Booster; a Kavor defector who has been revived once will turn instantly if their health is depleted a second time. (In Arbitration Defection, players are not given a chance to revive downed defectors before they turn.) If 10 Kavor defectors are killed, the Lotus will abort all further evacuation efforts; no more Kavor defectors will spawn, any Kavor defectors still alive on the map will not count toward the player's totals if they reach the shuttle, and the players will have five minutes to extract.
While 10 Kavor defectors have not yet been killed, players may choose to extract individually at any time once two squads of defectors have been evacuated. Any player entering the extraction zone will trigger a countdown timer, at the end of which all players in the extraction zone will be extracted while remaining players continue playing and can extract later any time they choose.
Several events are slated to occur during specific segments of each 8-squad cycle. These events also have fail-safe timers that force them to trigger at specific times after the time at which the shuttle bay door was hacked open, which is referred to in this section as time [T], if players are not rescuing squads fast enough to trigger the events normally.
- Manic Attack: Once the 3rd squad of the first cycle has arrived at point A, a Grineer Manic will spawn and attempt to attack the Kavor defectors. Killing a Manic will make it drop two Large Power Cells; these cells, identifiable by their white energy glow, can instantly restore a Med Booster to 100% power.
- The game first checks for fulfillment of the Manic spawn condition at time [T + 6 minutes] and will force the first Manic spawn at time [T + 11 minutes] if the condition has not been met by then.
- For subsequent cycles, Manics will spawn again, in greater numbers than in the first cycle, once the 3rd squad of that cycle has arrived at point A and 10 minutes have passed since the last Manic spawn (confirmation needed).
- Infested Spawn Pods: Once 4 squads have been rescued, Infested spawn pods will appear all over the map, including near squad spawns and around the Med Boosters, which will burst open when players or defectors are in close proximity. Small pods will spawn Maggots while large ones will spawn heavy Infested enemies (usually Ancients).
- The game first checks for fulfillment of the pod spawn condition at time [T + 11 minutes] and will force initial pod spawns at time [T + 16 minutes] if the condition has not been met by then.
- Destroyed pods will grow back every few minutes, ready to spawn new enemies.
- Red Veil Attack: Once the 8th squad of the first cycle has arrived at point B or C, three enemy Red Veil Operatives or Fanatics will spawn at the defector extraction point in the shuttle bay. They are essentially the same units encountered during the Chains of Harrow Quest. They will primarily target the Kavor defectors during the mission and scale in level as the mission progresses (confirmation needed). This will occur regardless of player standing towards that Syndicate; killing them will not lower Standing towards them either.
- The game first checks for fulfillment of the Red Veil spawn condition at time [T + 16 minutes] and will force the first Red Veil attack at time [T + 21 minutes] if the condition has not been met by then.
- In cycles after the first, Red Veil enemies will spawn again, in greater numbers than in the first cycle, once the 8th squad of that cycle has arrived at point B or C and 20 minutes have passed since the last Red Veil attack (confirmation needed).
|Phobos||Memphis (Dark Sector)||Infested||Defection1||15 - 25||Grineer Asteroid|
|Saturn||Caracol (Dark Sector)||Infested||Defection2||26 - 36||Grineer Galleon|
|Neptune||Yursa (Dark Sector)||Infested||Defection3||30 - 40||Infested Ship|
Rescuing a squad of Kavor defectors grants up to 1600 base objective affinity to all players based on mission level and the number of squad members which were not killed. In addition, reviving a downed defector grants 50 base objective affinity to the reviving player. (Actual affinity gains will be greater due to objective affinity being boosted by Dark Sector "kill" affinity bonuses in addition to any active universal affinity multipliers.)
Besides the bonus amounts of resources, affinity, and mods from the increase in enemies compared to normal missions, certain rewards can be awarded as the mission progresses. Mission rewards will vary depending on mission tier (based on starting enemy level, and listed in the above table), and mission rotation, based on the number of squads evacuated.
- Drop Rotation (rewards cycle every 8 squads):
- Rotation A: 2, 4 squads; 10, 12 squads; etc.
- Rotation B: 6 squads; 14 squads; etc.
- Rotation C: 8 squads; 16 squads; etc.
|Rotation A||Rotation B||Rotation C|
|2000 Credit Cache||13.92%||Lith A4 Relic||10.84%||Lith A4 Relic||11.06%|
|2000 Credit Cache||13.92%||Lith B8 Relic||10.84%||Lith B8 Relic||11.06%|
|2000 Credit Cache||13.92%||Lith G4 Relic||10.84%||Lith G4 Relic||11.06%|
|2000 Credit Cache||13.92%||Lith I1 Relic||10.84%||Lith I1 Relic||11.06%|
|100 Endo||13.92%||Lith K6 Relic||10.84%||Lith K6 Relic||11.06%|
|100 Endo||13.92%||Lith P5 Relic||10.84%||Lith P5 Relic||11.06%|
|100 Endo||13.92%||Lith T4 Relic||10.84%||Lith T4 Relic||11.06%|
|Smite Corrupted||2.58%||Bane of Corrupted||5.53%||Harrow Systems Blueprint||7.52%|
|Cleanse Corrupted||5.53%||Enduring Strike||7.52%|
|Harrow Systems Blueprint||2.01%|
- Memphis, Phobos
|Rotation A||Rotation B||Rotation C|
|2500 Credit Cache||16.24%||Meso C6 Relic||10.84%||Harrow Systems Blueprint||11.28%|
|2500 Credit Cache||16.24%||Meso D6 Relic||10.84%||Enduring Strike||11.28%|
|2500 Credit Cache||16.24%||Meso I1 Relic||10.84%||Neo A5 Relic||11.06%|
|150 Endo||16.24%||Meso P4 Relic||10.84%||Neo B7 Relic||11.06%|
|150 Endo||16.24%||Meso P5 Relic||10.84%||Neo D3 Relic||11.06%|
|150 Endo||16.24%||Meso T5 Relic||10.84%||Neo N15 Relic||11.06%|
|Expel Corrupted||2.58%||Meso Z4 Relic||10.84%||Neo P2 Relic||11.06%|
|Bane of Corrupted||7.37%||Neo T4 Relic||11.06%|
|Cleanse Corrupted||7.37%||Neo V10 Relic||11.06%|
|Harrow Systems Blueprint||2.01%|
- Caracol, Saturn
|Rotation A||Rotation B||Rotation C|
|3000 Credit Cache||24.35%||Neo A5 Relic||10.84%||Harrow Systems Blueprint||11.28%|
|3000 Credit Cache||24.35%||Neo B7 Relic||10.84%||Life Strike||11.28%|
|3000 Credit Cache||24.35%||Neo D3 Relic||10.84%||Axi A13 Relic||11.06%|
|250 Endo||24.35%||Neo N15 Relic||10.84%||Axi C6 Relic||11.06%|
|Expel Corrupted||2.58%||Neo P2 Relic||10.84%||Axi G6 Relic||11.06%|
|Neo T4 Relic||10.84%||Axi I1 Relic||11.06%|
|Neo V10 Relic||10.84%||Axi N7 Relic||11.06%|
|Bane of Corrupted||7.37%||Axi O5 Relic||11.06%|
|Cleanse Corrupted||7.37%||Axi T7 Relic||11.06%|
|Harrow Systems Blueprint||2.01%|
- Yursa, Neptune
- Destroying containers and opening lockers can drop additional power cells, including Large ones.
- 's affects defectors, making her a mobile healing beacon. A maximum efficiency and energy capacity build can make for a better experience in the later stages of a defection run. Note that while is active, casting it again will not heal or refresh the ability on defectors. If one wishes to keep refilling the defector's health without much wait, a low duration build can be useful.
- 's affects individual defectors, and can be used to cover ground very quickly given a clear line of sight. Loki can also save defectors who are stuck in the environment. The augment seems to protect defectors from damage, but not from health drain.
- Loki's can be used to distract the Infested from defectors, provided it is within their vicinity. This can prove useful in a mid-tier scaled stretch of a defection run, if things go south.
- Loki's procs can create breathing room if need be, though it is risky. Use with caution when surrounded by Infested, as they may still target the defectors if close enough.
- 's can be used to speed up travel for groups of defectors, but can be tricky to use. In some cases, defectors may get stuck in environment terrain and must be freed again with additional portals. Note that certain rooms have 'checkpoints' which defectors will go to, even if teleported beyond them.
- A slow Nova build can be quite useful for keeping Infested off the defectors.
- 's with the augment can help defectors survive longer defection runs. An extended duration and range build is recommended to ensure a whole cluster of defectors gets the bonus per individual cast.
- 's can give defectors very high health regeneration, allowing them to out-heal most of health drain. This can also allow them to out-heal other damage sources such as toxin clouds, etc.
- 's is a powerful damage dealer and crowd control against Infested, and provides a great amount of healing for whole clusters of defectors. Coupled with 's damage reduction potential, she can allow defectors to outlive even Syndicate attacks. This is extremely useful against melee enemies.
- 's can be used to protect the area over healing stations. With the added benefit of slowing down Infested that may enter, it makes them easier targets for yourself and allies to attack.
- 's can be used to heal defectors, following them until they reach the evacuation area, regardless of the distance between Khora and the Venari.
- 's affects defectors for the duration, and defectors in the Rift won't be damaged from enemies not in the Rift. As defectors can't be healed by Med Boosters in the Rift, it may be necessary to remove them from the Rift by casting Banish on them while you're in the Rift yourself. Other ways of healing, like Limbo's augment or Vazarin's Protective Dash, are possible.
- Defectors in the Rift will still take damage over time from the air.
- A variant of this usage (banishing all nearby enemies into the Rift, but not defectors) will also work.
- 's can quickly heal defectors by leveraging Infested in their path.
- Blood Altar can be used to temporarily disable manics and Red Veil operatives, preventing them from killing defectors.
- is a powerful damage dealer and crowd control against Infested.
- 's with the augment can help protect defectors from enemy damage and status effect, such as Ancients' knockdown attack. Additionally, it continuously staggers and damages nearby enemies.
- Health drain from the air still passes completely through this shield.
- Warding Halo must be cast on each defector separately. Therefore, it must be used at least 3 times per squad, making this strategy highly dependent on energy. Due to this, increased Ability Efficiency and Ability Strength is recommended. Ability Strength influences the durability of the shield, as well as periodical damage it deals to nearby enemies.
- can be used as crowd control.
- 's can be used to heal Defectors at a rapid rate, reducing time and energy required at med-stations, as well as healing Defectors along the way if Hydroid positions himself in their path.
- Note that Hydroid may have to mod for some range to ensure that a traveling Defector receives a tick, otherwise they may run through a small Undertow puddle between procs.
- 's is able to be cast on Defectors. Combined with , it offers extremely potent damage reduction and modest health regeneration, with the bonus of being able to be boosted to deal significant AoE damage to any infested approaching the Defectors.
- Defectors are valid beneficiaries of , allowing Gara to refresh buffs on Defectors.
- Stims are one of the few ways to increase movement speed of defectors. However, their high build cost and underwhelming effect make them questionable for use.
- Vazarin's Protective Dash will both heal and provide brief immunity to defectors.
- 's can apply all their effects on defectors; Vitality to increase their max health and health regeneration, Haste to increase their movement speed, and Shock to apply procs against nearby attackers.
- 's will heal defectors regardless of range.
- A squad of defectors will count as "rescued" and contribute progress toward mission rewards if at least one defector in the squad reaches the shuttle; however, all defectors in the squad must be dead or rescued before the objective will update.
- Infested will only target squads of defectors which are in the general vicinity of players, ignoring any defectors located elsewhere on the ship.
- Sortie Defection tasks players with rescuing 5 squads, then proceeding to extraction within 5 minutes of objective completion. The mission will end in failure if 6 defectors die before the fifth squad is rescued.
- Point B is unlocked at 1 squad rescued while point C becomes available at 2 squads rescued.
- Non-endless extraction rules (timer starts with at least half the squad at extraction and all players extract simultaneously) apply to this Defection variant.
- Sortie Defection missions only generate as part of Grineer Sorties; as a result, this mission variant cannot occur on the Infested Ship tileset.
- In the Heads-Up Display, each living Kavor defector is represented in the objective interface by a blue icon which will turn red if the defector is downed. Additionally, the blue waypoint on each defector will flash red if their health is low.
- The doors to points B and C, which look like unused doors (i.e. doors which do not lead to a room) before they are unlocked by mission progression, can be distinguished from unused doors by the presence of an inactive console on the right side.
- The Shuttle Bay room used as the evacuation point is the same room used on Capture missions as the target's escape room.
- The special Infested Carrion Chargers that spawn from pods produced by dead defectors have their own codex entry that requires 3 scans.
|PvE||Standard||Assassination • Capture • Exterminate • Hijack • Mobile Defense • |
Rescue • Sabotage (Assault, Deception, Hive,
Orokin, Reactor, Sealab) • Spy
|Endless||Defection • Disruption • Defense • Excavation • |
Infested Salvage • Interception • Survival
|Free Roam||Bounty (Isolation Vault • Heist)|
|Arena||The Index • Rathuum|
|Special||Granum Void • Junction • Recovery • Sanctuary Onslaught|
|Archwing||Exterminate • Interception • Mobile Defense • Pursuit • Rush • Sabotage|
|Empyrean||Skirmish • Defense • Exterminate • Orphix • Volatile|
|PvP||Conclave||Cephalon Capture • Annihilation • Team Annihilation • Lunaro|
|Other||Frame Fighter • Duel|
|Arbitrations • Crossfire • Dark Sectors • Environmental Hazards • Invasions • Kuva Siphon • |
Kuva Lich • Nightmare Mode • Nightwave • Sorties • The Steel Path • Void Fissures