Critical hits, also known as crits for short, are otherwise normal weapon strikes that randomly deal increased damage on enemies. The likelihood that an attack will be a critical hit is based on the weapon's critical hit chance, and the additional damage dealt by a critical hit is determined by the weapon's critical damage multiplier. Each attack, or each pellet in the case of most shotguns and weapons with Multishot, rolls its own chance to critically hit.
When a weapon deals a critical hit, the damage is displayed as a yellow, orange or red number on the HUD instead of the usual white coloring. However, critical hits on shields are still blue, and attacks benefitting from the stealth damage bonus are always yellow even when they don't crit.
Critical Chance[edit | edit source]
Relative Increases[edit | edit source]
Most increases to crit chance are relative to the base chance. Multiple of these stack additively with each other:
- Where the Relative Bonus is the sum of all applicable bonuses.
Absolute Increases[edit | edit source]
A few effects grant absolute amounts of crit chance. This includes , Cat's Eye and . These are applied after relative bonuses.
- Where the Absolute Bonus is the sum of all applicable bonuses.
Blood Rush[edit | edit source]
Critical hit chance can surpass 100%, for further information read Crit Tiers.
Sources of Critical Chance Bonus[edit | edit source]
Protect nearby allies with an energy force that absorbs all damage and converts it to a Critical Chance bonus for all those under the Covenant. Headshots are amplified even further.
|Strength:1.50% (critical per 100 damage)|
|Duration:3 / 4 / 5 / 6 s (invulnerability time)|
6 / 8 / 10 / 12 s (critical chance time)
|Misc:4.0x (headshot multiplier to bonus critical chance)|
50/250 m (affinity range/open-world affinity range)
- Harrow breaks free of his shackles in a whirlwind of impenetrable energy, imbuing himself and allies inside his Affinity Range with complete invulnerability to damage and Status Effect immunity for 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 seconds. While invulnerable, any enemy damage prevented by all affected players during this time accumulates into a total pool.
- After the invulnerability phase, all affected players receive the Retaliation buff which provides an additive weapon critical chance bonus lasting for 6 / 8 / 10 / 12 seconds. Retaliation provides a 5% base critical chance, plus extra critical chance converted from total damage prevented at a rate of 1.50% per 100 damage points prevented. Additionally, the combined critical chance percentage is multiplied by 4 on headshot hits.
- Retaliation duration is affected by Ability Duration.
- Base critical chance and extra critical chance percentages are affected by Ability Strength, while damage points prevented and headshot multiplier are not.
- Retaliation's critical chance is capped at 50% on bodyshot hits and 200% on headshot hits.
- The critical chance applied to the weapons is a flat value applied after mods.
- Critical chance is also applied to melee weapons, weapon deployables ( disc, channel throw, etc.), and Exalted weapons ( 's , 's , etc.)
- Protection and Retaliation buffs affect both players and their Companions.
- Covenant cannot be recast while its buffs are active.
- Multiple Harrows can cast Covenant independently of other players' active invulnerability and critical chance buffs.
- Casting animation of 3 seconds is affected by casting speed, from mods such as and . Casting Covenant stops Harrow's movement and actions.
- During the invulnerability phase, the current total of damage prevented is displayed to the right of the aiming reticle, represented by a shield-like emblem.
- After the invulnerability phase, the critical chance bonus and its headshot multiplied percentage are briefly displayed at the same position, represented by a bullet-like emblem.
- An audible whispering sound plays when each buff's duration ends.
- Covenant's buff icons for invulnerability and critical chance are displayed beside the shield and health indicators, with the critical chance bonus percentage located at the top-right of the icon and buff timers at the bottom.
- Harrow and affected allies are visibly surrounded by a gust of energy while under Covenant's effects. This visual effect expands or contracts depending on the phases of the ability, and is affected by Harrow's chosen Warframe energy color.
- Main article: Lasting Covenant
Lasting Covenant is a Warframe Augment Mod for that increases 's critical chance buff duration each time an enemy is killed with a headshot.
- It synergizes well with abilities that buff critical damage, such as and .
- Also pairs well with the since they are at their optimal power when you are getting headshots.
- Since the critical chance applied is additive, this ability can turn a modded with (and possibly other critical damage mods such as a Riven) into a viable critical secondary.
- Stacks with , resulting in an additive +95% critical chance on bodyshot and +245% on headshot with both effects maxed.
- Casting this while attempting to revive a teammate makes for a reliable survival strategy, as the invulnerability phase will protect you from enemy fire.
- If the mission has Environmental Hazards, like the toxic waste in the Grineer Shipyard tileset, you can use them to stack extra damage negation during the invulnerability phase.
- Covenant synergizes well with a Kitgun equipped with , with its projectiles gain benefits for critical chance to headshot from this ability.
Critical Multiplier[edit | edit source]
When a critical hit occurs, that hit's damage is increased and the damage value's color is changed to yellow. The stat describing by how much a crit is strengthened is displayed in the arsenal as a multiplier.
Sources of Critical Multiplier Bonus[edit | edit source]
Volt deploys an obstacle of energy, providing cover in any situation.
Meters per Energy Drained: 4 m
|Duration:10 / 15 / 20 / 25 s|
|Misc:50% (damage bonus)|
200% (critical damage bonus)
6 m x 4.25 m (static shield)
2 m x 3 m (current shield)
6 (shields limit)
- Volt creates an electrical energy barrier 4.25 meters high and 6 meters wide that absorbs enemy fire, lasting for 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 seconds. Shots fired through the shield made by Volt and his allies gain 50% damage and 200% critical multiplier.
- Duration is affected by Ability Duration.
- Height and width of the shield as well as the damage bonus are not affected by mods.
- The damage bonus is an additive bonus that's applied to the weapon's base damage, similar to an elemental mod. For an unmodified weapon that inflicts 100 base damage, firing through a shield will increase the total damage to 100 × (1 + 0.5) = 150. The weapon now inflicts 100 base damage and 50 damage.
- Firing through multiple Shields will cause the damage bonus to stack additively (e.g., firing through 3 shields will grant a 150% damage bonus). The critical multiplier bonus on the other hand does not stack with additional shields.
- The damage bonus does not combine with other elemental types to create secondary elements; the weapon will separately proc the elements present on it and from Electric Shield.
- Warframe abilities do not gain bonuses from being fired through the shield, with the exception of 's , 's , 's , and 's Flechette Orb.
- The critical multiplier is multiplied after weapon mods, meaning it will take your modded critical damage and double it.
- Volt has the ability to pickup one of his Static Shields through a context action. Doing so will cause the shield to decrease in size to 2.0 m × 3.0 m and become mobile. Activating the context action again will revert the Current Shield back into a Static Shield.
- The position and movement of the Current Shield will be fixed to the target reticle, meaning the Shield will move with the camera while being within 1.5 meters of Volt.
- When the Current Shield is equipped Volt will be limited to the use of only his secondary and melee weapons and will have his speed and mobility reduced.
- Enemies hit by the Current Shield while Volt is sprinting will be ragdolled.
- Volt will be drained 1 energy for every 4 meters he travels with the Current Shield equipped.
- Distance Per Energy is affected by Ability Efficiency through the equation DPE = 4 ÷ (2 − (1 + Efficiency Mods)).
- Only one shield can be equipped at a time.
- A maximum of 6 separate Electric Shields can be cast at any given time. Casting Electric Shields after reaching the maximum will remove the oldest shield.
- Electric Shield affects certain weapons differently:
- All primary and secondary weapons will gain damage and amplified critical damage.
- Thrown melee weapons, such as the , are not affected by Electric Shield.
- Weapons that have additional sources of damage, such as the , will have their additional sources affected by Electric Shield so long as the damage can be modified. For example, firing a grenade through a Shield will affect the projectile damage and the area damage. Firing a orb through a Shield will not affect the orb's contact damage, but it will affect the orb's explosion damage.
- Held-trigger weapons will gain hitscan properties.
- While most hostile gunfire and AoE damage are blocked by Electric Shield, weapons with innate punch through, such as a Scorch's , can bypass Electric Shield.
- Prevents self-stagger from AoE weapons if the player shoots behind the shield.
- Ability Synergy: Casting through an Electric Shield will electrify it, inflicting 100% of Shock's damage to enemies that pass through it (e.g., Electric Shield will deal 260 damage if Shock's modified damage is 260).
- The bonus damage from Volt's passive will also be stacked onto the damage from Shock (e.g., Electric Shield will deal 810 damage if Shock's modified damage is 260 and the Passive bonus is 550 at the time Shock is cast).
- Main article: Transistor Shield
Transistor Shield is a Warframe Augment Mod for 's that allows allies to pick up and move Electric Shields, with no energy cost for moving them. Additionally, a percentage of enemy damage absorbed by the Electric Shield(s) will add up to Volt's Static Discharge passive.
- Main article: Recharge Barrier
|Rank||% max shields restored||Cost|
- Multiple instances of the Static Shield can provide a 360o wall of protection, or can be used once if backing up into a tight space, blocking enemy fire from all angles.
- Note that Electric Shield does not protect its users from above and below attacks. Placing them above and below the player can be done to counter this.
- The does not gain any damage bonuses.
- The , and lose their AoE properties.
- If Shock is cast through Electric Shield with the max bonus damage from Static Discharge (1000) the total damage dealt may be slightly lower than expected (e.g., if Shock adds 100 damage to Electric Shield plus the 1000 bonus damage from passive, the amount of damage inflicted will only be 1098 instead of 1100).
Crit Tiers[edit | edit source]
|Crit Tier &|
|x = 0%||No hit can crit||Tier 0|
|0% < x < 100%||Chance for a yellow crit|
|x = 100%||All hits yellow crit|
|100% < x < 200%||Chance for an orange crit|
|x = 200%||All hits orange crit|
|200% < x < 300%||Chance for a red crit (tier 3)|
|x = 300%||All hits red crit (tier 3)|
|300% < x < 400%||Chance for a red crit (tier 4)|
|x = 400%||All hits red crit (tier 4)|
|400% < x < 500%||Chance for a red crit (tier 5)|
When a weapon achieves a crit chance higher than 100%, every attack will crit but it also gains a chance to deal an even stronger crit. As the critical hit chance increases, the tier of critical damage does so as well.
Although the coloration remains red after a certain point, crit tiers continue to increase.
This means it will have a 25% chance to trigger an orange crit, while all other hits (75%) will yield a yellow crit.
The critical damage multiplier for these can be calculated as follows:
In addition, each mod of the Vigilante Mod Set has a 5% chance to increase a Primary Weapon's critical hit's tier by 1. This effect stacks with other Vigilante Mods installed, up to a 30% chance with all six Vigilante Mods equipped.
Critical Headshots[edit | edit source]
Certain body parts on enemies, most notably heads, will receive additional damage when struck. This location-based damage increase is usually a 2.0x multiplier, but if the strike is a critical hit, then it receives an additional damage bonus. For yellow crits, this is another 2.0x multiplier on top of the location multiplier and the crit multiplier but in general, it uses the formula:
The Headshot Multiplier is 2.0x in almost all cases. The bonus damage from headshot crits is specific to heads and not generalized to all special body parts. The MOA, for example, has a "fanny pack" which normally receives 3.0x damage, but does not receive any additional multipliers from a critical hit. The Jordas Golem, however, has a 1.0x multiplier on his engines, but still receives quadruple damage if critically hit. Corpus humanoids do not receive headcrits, instead only taking the normal 2.0x headshot damage even after their helmets are removed.
Average Damage[edit | edit source]
When comparing builds it can be helpful to calculate how much damage the weapon will deal on average, which is effected by how often critical hits occur and at what critical multiplier. The following equation accounts for critical hits.
- 1 + × ( - 1) = 1.3x
So for a Paris without any critical mods, the damage is multiplied by 1.3 on average; yellow crits of 2x for 30% of the shots. With the 2 base critical mods, the damage is multiplied by 3.55 on average; yellow crits of 4.4x for 75% of the shots.
See also[edit | edit source]
Patch History[edit | edit source]
|Offense||Attack Speed • Critical Hit • Damage (Positive Type Modifier) • Damage Falloff • Enemy Body Parts • Fire Rate • Multishot • Punch Through • Status Effect|
|Defense||Armor • Damage Reduction • Negative Damage Type Modifier • Health • Invulnerability • Shield|
|Elemental||• • •|
|Combined||• • • • •|
|Effect Only||Impair (PvP only) • Knockdown • Lifted • Ragdoll • Stagger|
|Grineer||• • •|
|Corpus||• • •|
|Infested||• • •|
|Miscellaneous||Hit Points • Object|
|Critical Hit Mods|
|Damage||( ) •|
|Pistol||Chance||( ) • •|
|Damage||( ) • •|
|Melee||Chance||• • •|
|Damage||• ( )|