FANDOM


Critical hits are otherwise normal weapon strikes that randomly deal increased damage on enemies. The likelihood that an attack will be a critical hit is based on the weapon's critical hit chance, and the additional damage dealt by a critical hit is determined by the weapon's critical damage multiplier. Each attack, or each pellet in the case of most shotguns and weapons with Multishot, rolls its own chance to critically hit.

When a weapon deals a critical hit (or "crits"), the damage is displayed as a yellow, orange or red number on the HUD instead of the usual white coloring. Bear in mind that critical hits on shields are still blue and attacks benefitting from the stealth damage bonus are always yellow, even when they don't crit.

Critical ChanceEdit

Chance that any given attack will do bonus Critical Hit Damage. Values over 100% have a chance to become Orange Critical Hits, and over 200% have a chance to become red.

—In-game Description

Each weapon has a base chance to critically hit, which can be increased through mods and various buffs.

Relative IncreasesEdit

Most increases to crit chance are relative to the base chance. Multiple of these stack additively with each other:

$ \text{Total Crit Chance} = \text{Base Crit Chance} \times (1 + \text{Relative Bonus}) $
Where the Relative Bonus is the sum of all applicable bonuses.
$ \text{Relative Bonus} = \text{Bonus}_{1} + \text{Bonus}_{2} + \text{Bonus}_{3} + \cdots $

As an example, a Braton Braton with Mod TT 20pxPoint Strike and Mod TT 20pxCritical Delay has a crit chance of:

12% × (1 + Mod TT 20px150% + Mod TT 20px48%)
= 35.76%

Absolute IncreasesEdit

A few effects grant absolute amounts of crit chance. This includes ArcaneAvenger64x Arcane Avenger, Cat's Eye and Covenant130xDark Covenant. These are applied after relative bonuses.

$ \text{Total Crit Chance} = \text{Base Crit Chance} \times (1 + \text{Relative Bonus}) + \text{Absolute Bonus} $
Where the Absolute Bonus is the sum of all applicable bonuses.
$ \text{Absolute Bonus} = \text{Bonus}_{1} + \text{Bonus}_{2} + \text{Bonus}_{3} + \cdots $

As an example, a Braton with Mod TT 20pxPoint Strike (relative) and ArcaneAvenger64x Arcane Avenger (absolute) has a crit chance of:

= 12% × (1 + Mod TT 20px150%) + ArcaneAvenger64x 45%
= 60.00%

Blood RushEdit

Mod TT 20pxBlood Rush and the Gladiator Set Bonus are unique in that they scale off of Melee Combo, stacking additively with other critical chance mods:

$ \text{Total Crit Chance} = \text{Base Crit Chance} \times (1 + \text{Relative Bonus} + \text{Blood Rush Multi} \times (\text{Combo Multi} - 1)) + \text{Absolute Bonus} $

As an example, a DESkana Skana with Blood Rush, Mod TT 20pxTrue Steel, and ArcaneAvenger64x Arcane Avenger has a crit chance of:

5% × [1 + Mod TT 20px60% × (2 - 1) + Mod TT 20px120%] + ArcaneAvenger64x 45%
= 59%

(Prior to Update 26.0, Mod TT 20pxBlood Rush and Gladiator Set Bonus provided a multiplicative increase in critical chance after all other mod bonuses and even after absolute ones.)

Critical hit chance can surpass 100%, for further information read Crit Tiers.

Sources of Critical Chance BonusEdit

Covenant HarrowCovenant
ENERGY
100
KEY
4
Covenant
Protect nearby allies with an energy force that absorbs all damage and converts it to a Critical Chance bonus for all those under the Covenant. Headshots are amplified even further.
Strength:1.50% (critical per 100 damage)
Duration:3 / 4 / 5 / 6 s (invulnerability time)
6 / 8 / 10 / 12 s (critical chance time)
Range:N/A
Misc:4.0x (headshot multiplier)
50 m (affinity range)
Expand


Critical MultiplierEdit

Critical Hit Damage is multiplied by this value. The added Damage is doubled for Orange Critical Hits, and tripled for red.

—In-game Description

When a critical hit occurs, that hit's damage is increased and the damage value's color is changed to yellow. The stat describing by how much a crit is strengthened is displayed in the arsenal as a multiplier.

$ \text{Modded Crit Multi} = \text{Base Crit Multi} \times (1 + \text{Bonus}_{1} + \text{Bonus}_{2} + \text{Bonus}_{3} + \cdots) $

As an example, a Braton Braton with Mod TT 20pxVital Sense has a crit multi of:

= 1.6 × (1 + Mod TT 20px120%)
= 3.52

Sources of Critical Multiplier BonusEdit

ElectricShieldModU15 ElectricShield
ENERGY
50
KEY
3
Electric Shield
Volt deploys an obstacle of energy, providing cover in any situation.

Meters per Energy Drained: 4 m
Strength:N/A
Duration:10 / 15 / 20 / 25 s
Range:N/A
Misc:50% (damage bonus)
200% (critical damage bonus)
6 m x 4.25 m (static shield)
2 m x 3 m (current shield)
6 (shields limit)
Expand


Crit TiersEdit

Modded
Crit Chance
Crit Tier &
Coloration
x = 0% No hit can crit Tier 0
0% < x < 100% Chance for a yellow crit
Tier 1
x = 100% All hits yellow crit
100% < x < 200% Chance for an orange crit
Tier 2
x = 200% All hits orange crit
200% < x < 300% Chance for a red crit (tier 3)
Tier 3
x = 300% All hits red crit (tier 3)
300% < x < 400% Chance for a red crit (tier 4)
Tier 4
x = 400% All hits red crit (tier 4)
400% < x < 500% Chance for a red crit (tier 5)
...
... ...
Crit numbers

Three different color tiers of critical hits along with normal damage color

When a weapon achieves a crit chance higher than 100%, every attack will crit but it also gains a chance to deal an even stronger crit. As the critical hit chance increases, the tier of critical damage does so as well.

Although the coloration remains red after a certain point, crit tiers continue to increase.


As an example, a Lenz Lenz with Mod TT 20pxPoint Strike has a crit chance of:

= 50% × (1 + Mod TT 20px150%)
= 125.00%

This means it will have a 25% chance to trigger an orange crit, while all other hits (75%) will yield a yellow crit.

The critical damage multiplier for these can be calculated as follows:

$ \text{Crit Multi} = 1 + \text{Crit Tier} \times (\text{Modded Crit Multi} - 1) $

As an example, a Lenz with Point Strike and Mod TT 20pxVital Sense will have an orange crit multiplier of:

= 1 + 2 × (2.0 × (1 + Mod TT 20px120%) − 1)
= 7.8

In addition, each mod of the Vigilante Mod Set has a 5% chance to increase a critical hit's tier by 1. This effect stacks with other Vigilante Mods installed, up to a 30% chance with all six Vigilante Mods equipped.


Critical HeadshotsEdit

AklexCritDifferences

This picture displays a headcrit dealing 4x regular headshot damage using an unmodded Lex Lex.

Certain body parts on enemies, most notably heads, will receive additional damage when struck. This location-based damage increase is usually a 2.0x multiplier, but if the strike is a critical hit, then it receives an additional damage bonus. For yellow crits, this is another 2.0x multiplier on top of the location multiplier and the crit multiplier but in general, it uses the formula:

$ \text{Total Crit Multi} = \text{Headshot Multi} \times (1 + \text{Crit Tier} \times (2 \times \text{Modded Crit Multi} - 1)) $

The Headshot Multiplier is 2.0x in almost all cases. The bonus damage from headshot crits is specific to heads and not generalized to all special body parts. The MOA, for example, has a "fanny pack" which normally receives 3.0x damage, but does not receive any additional multipliers from a critical hit. The Jordas Golem, however, has a 1.0x multiplier on his engines, but still receives quadruple damage if critically hit. Corpus humanoids do not receive headcrits, instead only taking the normal 2.0x headshot damage even after their helmets are removed.


Average DamageEdit

When comparing builds it can be helpful to calculate how much damage the weapon will deal on average, which is effected by how often critical hits occur and at what critical multiplier. The following equation accounts for critical hits.

$ \text{Average Damage Multiplier} = 1 + \text{Total Crit Chance} \times (\text{Total Crit Multi} - 1) $

As an example, a Paris Paris has an average damage multiplier of:

= 1 + 30% × (2.0 - 1)
= 1.3

Paris Paris with Mod TT 20pxPoint Strike and Mod TT 20pxVital Sense has an average damage multiplier of:

= 1 + (30% × (1 + Mod TT 20px150%)) × (2.0 × (1 + Mod TT 20px120%) - 1)
= 1 + (75%) × (4.4 - 1)
= 3.55

So for a Paris without critical mods, the damage are multiplied by 1.3 on average; yellow crits of 2x for 30% of the time. With the 2 base critical mods, the damage are multiplied by 3.55 on average ; yellow crits of 4.4x for 75% of the time.

See alsoEdit

Patch HistoryEdit

Hotfix 28.0.4
  • Fixed Critical Hits not triggering for Glaive mid-air detonations.

Update 21.0

  • With Harrow's enhancement to Criticals, we have slightly tweaked the colour gradient in which Critical hits are displayed. Introducing: Orange Crits! These now occur in between Yellow and Red Crits. Before, Crits became Red when 100% Crit Chance was achieved. Now Crits will be ORANGE in the 100.01-200% range, and Red will start at 200.01%+! This is solely a visual change.

Update 14.10

  • Changed Critical Chance logic by allowing it to occur on Radial Explosions (both friendly and enemy where applicable). This fixes an issue with the Torid’s gas cloud not allowing for criticals.




Start a Discussion Discussions about Critical Hit

  • The equations

    5 messages
    • Ah, that might make more sense. I never thought of it as being a percent bonus. I'm which case, they ''do'' come f...
    • Yup, most of those seem to be related to % value translations (like +50% of x = 100% of x + 50% of x = x + 50% of x = x(1 + 50%)) ...
  • Red crit tiers

    2 messages
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.