The Soma is a Tenno designed assault rifle with high accuracy and magazine capacity. It uses a large magazine to sustain fire but must wind up briefly to achieve its maximum fire rate. Though it may appear to have lackluster damage, the critical ratios make the Soma a deceivingly powerful rifle. Coupled with its high accuracy, the Soma is suitable for any distance engagement when fire is managed.
|Time: 12 hrs|
|Market Price: 265||Blueprints Price:50,000|
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
This weapon deals primarily Slash damage.
- High Slash and Puncture damage - effective against health and shields.
- Very high fire rate, achieved after a wind up time of eight bullets.
- High accuracy.
- Large magazine size.
- Has two polarities.
- Tied with Soma Prime for the second lowest base damage of all rifles, after Grakata.
- High fire rate generates high recoil, hindering accuracy.
- Low reload speed.
- Sub-optimal ammo efficiency.
- Soma, compared to Soma Prime:
- Higher base damage (20.0 vs. 18.0)
- Smaller magazine (50 rounds vs. 70 rounds)
- Smaller max ammo capacity (200 rounds vs. 210 rounds)
- Slower spool-up (8 rounds vs. 5 rounds)
- Lower Mastery Rank required (6 vs. 7)
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Firing in bursts helps with ammo consumption.
- Once the weapon is fully-spooled, some abilities (like Iron Skin) may be activated without losing the firing speed.
- Similarly, it retains its fast firing rate if you let off the fire button for short periods. This lets the wielder change targets without wasting large amounts of ammunition in between separate enemies, as long as they do so quickly. This can also be used to keep tighter firing spreads at long ranges, essentially "bursting" rounds with quick pauses between to reduce recoil.
- The Soma's magazine is reloaded before the reload animation actually finishes, as little as halfway through the animation itself. Thus, canceling the reload animation still counts as a reload, essentially cutting the reload time by half.
- This weapon has a slight wind up time, much like the Gorgon (only less prominent). This can be taken advantage of by tapping the fire button, making it fire single bullets at a time, which can be effective for sniping weaker units.
- The significantly tighter spread at long range gives the Soma an advantage over the Gorgon and Supra for picking off heavy units, but the latter two are more effective at clearing large groups of enemies.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- During Livestream 14, Digital Extremes talked about increasing the weapon's Mastery Rank to suit the effectiveness of the Soma, rather than nerfing the weapon. This was implemented in Update 10.5.
- Capable of shooting the first shot of the magazine with high accuracy, allowing decent shots to weak-points from afar.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The magazine curls up into the weapon while firing, and ejects when ammo is depleted.
- If reloaded with an amount other than a full magazine in reserve, the magazine will snap to the ammunition remaining within the magazine as soon as the reload animation is finished.
- The Soma's design seems to be based on the French Chauchat.
- Its unusual magazine shape resembles the Japanese Type 100 SMG, or the Type 99 LMG when the magazine has gone through.
- The rigid moving magazine/clip is almost unique to fictional firearms. The Type 92's rigid feed strips and belt feeding closely resemble the Soma. Stripper clips, namely "en bloc clips" like in the M1 Garand, are perhaps the closest in terms of magazine/clip design.
- The weapon's name is shared with the Hinduistic god, Soma, who is a being attributed with the Moon. The shape of its magazine could also be thought to share a resemblance to a moon's crescent.
- It also shares it's name with the Ancient Greek word for body (σῶμα), which might be related to the rifle's large size.
- The Soma's icon and its blueprint shows the magazine halfway depleted.
- Reloading the Soma will eject the magazine. Repeatedly reload-cancelling can leave a pile of Soma magazines on the floor.
- The Soma was described in the market as a "deadly and elegant high caliber Tenno assault rifle." Despite allegedly high caliber rounds, its damage is second to worst, and its magazine capacity is high compared with other weapons. Judging from the physical size of other weapons' magazines, it may be a relatively high caliber.
- The Soma initially had a Mastery Rank requirement of 3. This was increased to 6 in Update 10.5.
- In The Profit, Volt is seen using the Soma but instead of the magazine curling up as it usually would, it curls downwards.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- The colored magazine removed from the Soma will return to its original color.
- There are several appearance bugs associated with the Soma's magazine. The magazine may get "stuck" if reload-cancelled right before the reload completes, leaving the Soma free for use without a magazine loaded.
- Occasionally, the user can find the Soma ejecting multiple magazines on a single reload.
Media[edit | edit source]
Patch History[edit | edit source]
See Also[edit | edit source]
- Soma Prime, the Prime counterpart of this gun.
- Gorgon, the Grineer equivalent of this weapon.
- Supra, the Corpus equivalent of this weapon.
- Aksomati, the machine pistol counterparts of this weapon.
- Dual Raza, battle-hatchets inspired by Soma's design.
- Phaedra, Archwing rifle described as the Soma's big-sister.