Cetus Wisps are generally found on the banks of Gara Toht Lake and the smaller pools of landlocked water. When approached by a player Wisps will spend a few more moments hovering in the same location (for approximately 5 seconds), before floating up towards the sky and disappearing in a small burst of light. They will be deposited in the player's inventory should the player manage to touch it.
Identified more as a loot pickup than a non-hostile NPC, they are widely used as a resource for crafting. Items that require Wisps as a component are Amp and Zaw components, Exodia arcanes, cosmetics, Gara's chassis and Revenant's systems.
Blueprints Requiring Cetus WispsEdit
- In addition to their reactive escape mechanism, Wisps will periodically despawn if located but not collected within a certain amount of time. This makes waiting for Smeeta Kavat's Charm a risky venture.
- As of Hotfix 22.18.7 players can obtain Wisps from Quill Onkko for 5,000 at the rank of Architect.
- Wisps show up as loot on the Plains. Therefore, Loot Detector, Animal Instinct, and Thief's Wit can be used to identify them, greatly reducing time used for searching.
- Similar to resources, Wisp instances are spawned individually for each player. They can be picked up and marked without having them float away for other players.
- Stealth abilities will not prevent wisps from escaping. Vacuum and Greedy Pull will not pick them up and players must manually collect the Wisp, given that Wisps also ignores the 3-meter universal vacuum.
- Wisps can be picked up while in Archwing. Itzal allows players to quickly skim fly around using Cosmic Crush ability to suck up wisps. Loot Detector and Thief's Wit can be used when in archwing looking for Wisps.
- Wisps can be picked up by the Chesa Kubrow.
- Wisps can be encountered at any time of day, though much easier to see at night.
- During the day, 3-4 Wisps will spawn across the entirety of the Plains. At night, the number of Wisps spawned will increase to 6-8.
- It is possible for Gara Toht Lake to spawn up to 4, or even 5 at night.
- Wisps have set spawn points and will choose from a subset of those to spawn at upon entering the Plains, after which no more Wisps will spawn for that session. To continue searching for more Wisps, players will have to spawn a new instance of the Plains.
- An active Resource Booster or the periodical Charm buff will double the number of Wisps picked up for the duration.
- Judging from symmetrical shape, design, material, glowing light, and the fact they are more abundant at nighttime, the Cetus Wisp is possibly Sentients by nature, likely to be a harmless miniscule fragment of the fallen Eidolon.