Not to be confused with a weapon with the same name, Nikana.
Nikana (commonly known as Katana) is one of the nineteen types of melee weapons available in Melee 2.0. Although essentially identical to swords, all Nikanas possess their own sheathes for their blades.
- Currently, this is one of four melee weapon styles with three stance mods, the others being the heavy blade, claws, and fists weapon classes.
- The word "Katana (刀)" refers to both the sword and the style in which it is wielded. In comparison to the similar "Tachi (太刀)", the Katana typically has a shallower curve and is worn on the belt with cutting edge facing up whereas the former has a deeper curve and is hung from a cord on the belt with cutting edge facing down. There are, however, exceptions.
- Blocking involves pulling out the weapon with the blade still sheathed (similar to the blocking stance for normal longsword weapons). The actual blocking animation involves parrying with both the blade and the sheathe separately.
- The Tenno fighting style with the Tranquil Cleave stance for the Nikana is highly reminiscent of Iaido, a type of martial art in which the sword is quickly pulled from its scabbard to cut an enemy, cleaned of blood, then sheathed again, often in two or three fluid motions. In contrast, the Decisive Judgement stance is more reminiscent of the Kenjutsu fighting style, which is drawing the sword and using it with both hands.
- Spelling Nikana backwards will result in Anakin, a reference to the Star Wars antagonist Darth Vader, who is also known as Anakin Skywalker. This was revealed as intentional in Devstream 107.
Nikana Stance Mods
|Tranquil Cleave||Decisive Judgement||Blind Justice||Fateful Truth|
|Dragon Nikana||Nikana||Nikana Prime||Skiajati|
Weapon Comparison Edit
|Name||Type||Normal||Range||Attack Speed||Critical Chance||Critical Damage||Status Chance||Mastery Rank||Stance||Disposition|
|Dragon Nikana||Nikana||188.0||2.5 m||1.0||22%||2.0x||22%||8||●●●●●|
|Nikana Prime||Nikana||95.0||0 m||1.08||20%||2.0x||20%||0||●○○○○|
All items (15)