The Castanas are Tenno throwing type secondary weapons with detonation charge that can be detonated remotely by using the Alternate Fire, much like the . Although lacking in throwing speed like other thrown weapons, they can be stacked up to six then detonated all at once to create a wide array of crowd controlling opportunities, thanks to their electrical explosion and chaining effects.
- Second highest base damage of all throwing-type secondaries, behind .
- High status chance.
- Pinpoint accuracy.
- Very high reload speed.
- Mines can stick to surfaces, including enemies and allies.
- Silent, even if the projectile hits the enemy.
- User can detonate charges on command via Alternate Fire, giving the player precise timing in detonation.
- Detonation has an explosion radius of 3.6 meters.
- Up to six deployed mines can be ready for simultaneous detonation.
- Explosion does not need direct line of sight to deal damage and will penetrate walls.
- Extra projectiles generated by Multishot have a very wide horizontal spread, effective at covering large groups of enemies.
- Can benefit from ( ).
- Innate two polarities.
- Innate damage – less effective against Alloy Armor.
- Projectiles have very slow travel time with arcing.
- Very low critical chance.
- Below average critical multiplier.
- Explosions inflict self-stagger.
- Explosion has linear damage falloff from 100% to 60% from central impact.
- Semi-automatic fire, unlike other throwing weapons.
- Extremely low magazine size of just 2 rounds; requires frequent reloading.
- Low ammo capacity size of 20.
- Can only have six deployed mines out at once.
- Extra projectiles generated by Multishot will count towards this limit.
- Castanas (attack: Normal), compared to Sancti Castanas (attack: Normal):
- Lower base damage (160 vs. 300)
- Lower total damage (160 vs. 300)
- Lower base critical chance (8% vs. 24%)
- Lower base critical multiplier (1.5x vs. 2x)
- Lower base status chance (22% vs. 34%)
- Lower average damage per shot (max Progenitor bonus if applicable) (166.4 vs. 372)
- Lower burst DPS (max Progenitor bonus if applicable) (554.11 vs. 1,238.76)
- Lower sustained DPS (max Progenitor bonus if applicable) (207.92 vs. 464.83)
- Different polarities ( vs. )
- Lower Mastery Rank required (3 vs. 10)
- Higher disposition (1.4 vs. 1.35)
- Lack of an innate Purity effect
|Time: 12 hrs|
|Market Price: 175||Blueprints Price:15,000|
|Tenno Lab Research 3,000|
|Time: 72 hrs|
|x1 x3 x10 x30 x100|
- The normal animation and arc behaves similar to other thrown secondary weapons.
- Castanas can stun-lock bosses such as Lech Kril.
- Primary fire throws the Castanas, secondary fire detonates them.
- Charges will stick to any surface (enemies, allies, companions, etc.); after sticking, they will proc with 100% chance when detonated.
- Throws that were made by the left hand are further from reticle by a few degrees to the bottom compared to the right hand.
- Can not proc on user.
- When is added, the Castanas will begin to spread apart on throws if Multishot mods are applied. This may be helpful for combating the small blast radius they have by spacing them slightly apart from each other.
- The Castanas are currently subject to a bug that dramatically increases projectile spread when using multishot mods. Equipping a low-rank will fix this.
- Throwing these at an Arctic Eximus snowglobe and detonating them will kill the Eximus.
- Castanas thrown by 's illusions from will not interfere with the maximum amount of armed Castanas at a given time.
- Mirage's Hall of Mirrors can be used to increase the number of Castanas that can be planted, but the holograms' Castanas will detonate a few seconds after impact; though they will not damage the player and can still also be detonated manually in the given time they are active.
- The Castanas are the first thrown secondary weapon that delivers Area of Effect damage.
- The detonation feature is similar to that of the grenade launcher, which also allowed users to detonate on command.
- The word Castañas means "chestnuts" in Spanish and Greek, judging how the knives are thrown, then "open" themselves, revealing their explosive cores.
- The Castanas are the first throwable weapon of its kind to be thrown in "Semi-auto".
- If Multishot is modded onto the Castanas in any way and happens to activate, the castanas thrown will travel in widely different directions, landing far away from the intended target.
Last updated: Update 24.8 (2019-04-24)
- , the New Loka custom version.
- , explosive bombs that work much like the Castanas
|Research • Clan • Dojo|
|Weapons • Damage • Compare All • Cosmetics|