The Castanas are Tenno throwing type secondary weapons with Electricity detonation charge that can be detonated remotely by using the Alternate Fire, much like the Penta. Although lacking in throwing speed like other thrown weapons, they can be stacked up to six then detonated all at once to create a wide array of crowd controlling opportunities, thanks to their electrical explosion and chaining effects.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
This weapon deals Electricity damage.
- Second highest base damage of all throwing-type secondaries, behind Sancti Castanas.
- High status chance.
- Pinpoint accuracy.
- Very high reload speed.
- Mines can stick to surfaces, including enemies and allies.
- Silent, even if the projectile hits the enemy.
- User can detonate charges on command via Alternate Fire, giving the player precise timing in detonation.
- Detonation has an explosion radius of 3 meters.
- Up to six deployed mines can be ready for detonation at the same time.
- Extra projectiles generated by Multishot have a very wide horizontal spread, effective at covering large groups of enemies.
- Can benefit from Fulmination ( Primed).
- Innate two polarities.
- Innate Electricity damage – less effective against Alloy Armor.
- Projectiles have very slow travel time with arcing.
- Very low critical chance.
- Below average critical multiplier.
- Explosions inflict self-stagger.
- Explosion has linear damage falloff from 100% to 60% from central impact.
- Semi-automatic fire, unlike other throwing weapons.
- Extremely low magazine size of just 2 rounds; requires frequent reloading.
- Low ammo capacity size of 20.
- Can only have six deployed mines out at once.
- Extra projectiles generated by Multishot will count towards this limit.
- Castanas, compared to Sancti Castanas:
- Lower base damage (160.0 vs. 300.0)
- Lower Electricity damage (160.0 vs. 300.0)
- Lower critical chance (8% vs. 24%)
- Lower critical multiplier (1.5x vs. 2x)
- Lower status chance (22% vs. 34%)
- Lack of an innate Purity effect
- Different polarities ( vs. )
- Lower Mastery Rank required (3 vs. 10)
- Higher disposition (1.4 vs. 1.35)
- Lower base damage (160.0 vs. 300.0)
Acquisition[edit | edit source]
|Time: 12 hrs|
|Market Price: 175||Blueprints Price:15,000|
|Tenno Lab Research 3,000|
|Time: 72 hrs|
|x1 x3 x10 x30 x100|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The normal animation and arc behaves similar to other thrown secondary weapons.
- Castanas can stun-lock bosses such as Lech Kril.
- Primary fire throws the Castanas, secondary fire detonates them.
- Charges will stick to any surface (enemies, allies, companions, etc.); after sticking, they will proc Electricity with 100% chance when detonated.
- When thrown while running backwards, it is possible that they can stick to your Sentinel or your Frame itself.
- This guaranteed Electricity proc does not damage the user even if when dealing self-damage.
- Throws that were made by the left hand are further from reticle by a few degrees to the bottom compared to the right hand.
- Can not proc Radiation on user.
- When Magnum Force is added, the Castanas will begin to spread apart on throws if Multishot mods are applied. This may be helpful for combating the small blast radius they have by spacing them slightly apart from each other.
- The Castanas are currently subject to a bug that dramatically increases projectile spread when using multishot mods. Equipping a low-rank Magnum Force will fix this.
- Throwing these at an Arctic Eximus snowglobe and detonating them will kill the Eximus.
- Castanas thrown by Mirage's illusions from Hall Of Mirrors will not interfere with the maximum amount of armed Castanas at a given time.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Mirage's Hall of Mirrors can be used to increase the number of Castanas that can be planted, but the holograms' Castanas will detonate a few seconds after impact; though they will not damage the player and can still also be detonated manually in the given time they are active.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Castanas are the first thrown secondary weapon that delivers Area of Effect damage.
- The detonation feature is similar to that of the Penta grenade launcher, which also allowed users to detonate on command.
- The word Castañas means "chestnuts" in Spanish and Greek, judging how the knives are thrown, then "open" themselves, revealing their explosive cores.
- The Castanas are the first throwable weapon of its kind to be thrown in "Semi-auto".
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- If Multishot is modded onto the Castanas in any way and happens to activate, the castanas thrown will travel in widely different directions, landing far away from the intended target.
- This can be counteracted with Magnum Force.
Media[edit | edit source]
Patch History[edit | edit source]
Last updated: Update 24.8
See also[edit | edit source]
- Sancti Castanas, the New Loka custom version.
- Talons, explosive bombs that work much like the Castanas
|Weapons • Damage • Compare All • Cosmetics|