- This Sentinel weapon is automatically acquired by claiming the Taxon Sentinel.
This weapon deals Cold damage.
- Innate Cold damage – effective against Alloy Armor, Shielded, and Infested Sinew.
- Guaranteed Cold proc regardless of elemental combos, allowing it to constantly slow down enemies.
- Fairly high reload speed.
- Tied with Deth Machine Rifle for the highest magazine size of all Sentinel weapons.
- Lowest base damage of all Sentinel weapons.
- Extremely low critical chance and status chance.
- Below average critical multiplier.
- Low accuracy at long range.
- The Artax will inflict guaranteed Cold status effect on enemies even if the weapon's element has been changed via elemental damage mods.
- Eagle Eye will improve the detection range, making the Sentinel fire farther. However, Taxon's base range is 30 meter, potentially causing it to fire at enemies that are out of range.
- This can be counteracted with Sinister Reach which improves the effective range of Artax.
- It is highly advised to use a Punch Through mod, as the weapon performs poorly against enemies behind cover. Punch Through also increases the chance of freezing several enemies at close range while moving around them.
- Continuous Misery increases the duration of the cold status effect.
- It is advised not to build for damage but rather fire rate, status chance and more range as the Artax has more crowd control capabilities than damage capabilities.
- The Artax is possibly named as a portmanteau of "Arctic" and "Taxon."
- As of Hotfix 19.10.1 Artax Riven Mods are no longer obtainable from Sorties. Between the introduction and the removal were only 5 days and therefore the chance of getting an Artax Riven within this period was very tiny. Hence the amount of Artax Rivens in the game is now extremely limited.
- Artax was also the name of Atreyu's horse in The Neverending Story.