Affinity is the in-game mechanic for experience points. Warframes, Archwings, Companions and weapons are all capable of earning Affinity. It is earned by killing enemies, hacking terminals, completing objectives/Missions, using Warframe powers, or picking up Affinity Orbs.
Affinity is only shown numerically in the player's profile. Elsewhere, they are shown only as progress bars to the next level for that piece of equipment, such as in the Arsenal, during missions, or in the end-mission report.
Upon gaining enough Affinity, equipment will rank up and (once the equipment's rank exceeds a player's Mastery Rank) gain one extra point of Mod capacity (two points when supercharged via an Orokin Catalyst or Orokin Reactor), used for applying mods. Affinity is stored in each specific item, not the player's character/account; if an item is sold or used in crafting, it loses all of its associated Affinity and ranks.
Affinity indirectly affects a player's Mastery Rank. A player gains 200 Mastery points per affinity level on a previously unranked Warframe, Archwing or Companion, and 100 Mastery points per level on a previously unranked weapon. Once a player has acquired sufficient Mastery points, they can take the test to increase their Mastery Rank.
The amount of Affinity a weapon or frame has earned during a mission can be seen in the post-mission report, just to the left of the reward info box, where it is referred to as XP (experience).
Using the Affinity Booster, purchasable for 40, doubles Affinity gain for 3 days, 7 days with the 80 booster, or 30 days with the 200 booster. Smeeta Kavat's also has a chance to provide double Affinity gain for a duration.
Some Prime Access packages also have special 90-day Affinity boosters.
Warframes and weapons gain Affinity for several types of actions, detailed below. Unless specified otherwise, all Affinity gained uses the split according to the general rule: 25% of the amount goes to your Warframe and 75% of the amount is divided evenly among all equipped weapons (18.75% each for four weapons while Arch-gun is summoned through Archgun Deployer, 25% each for three, 37.5% each for two, or the full 75% if only one is equipped).
- Kill with Warframe abilities: All Affinity goes to the Warframe.
- Kill with weapons: Half Affinity goes to the Warframe and half to the killing weapon.
- Shared affinity from allied Tenno kills: When within 50 meters of an ally (200 meters while using a Fosfor, 250 meters in Landscape missions) when they kill an enemy, you gain the same total Affinity, distributed according to the general rule specified above. This doesn't reduce the Affinity gained by the killing player, and doesn't reduce the Affinity gained by other nearby allies.
- No weapons equipped: All Affinity goes to the Warframe.
- This applies when the only equipped weapons are overridden by ability-created ones (E.g. Using while only having a melee weapon equipped).
- Kills with Railjack turrets: All Affinity goes to the Plexus.
- For Archwing missions, the shared affinity range is increased to 200 meters (800 with a Fosfor).
- While in Railjack, the shared affinity range is infinite, and the above rules still apply to affinity gain.
Operators gain their own Affinity, similar to a Warframe. They only receive affinity when deployed.
- Kills with Operator abilities: All Affinity goes to the Operator.
- Kill with weapons: Half Affinity goes to the Operator and half to the killing weapon.
- Shared affinity from allied Tenno kills: When within 50 meters of an ally (200 meters while using a Fosfor, 250 meters in Landscape missions) when they kill an enemy, you gain the same total Affinity. The Affinity is distributed by 25% for the Operator, 37.5% for the Amp, and 37.5% for their unused melee slot.
- No weapons equipped: All of the Affinity goes to the Operator.
Companions gain their own Affinity, similar to Tenno.
- Companion kills: Total Affinity upon kills is equal to that gained by Tenno. The owner of the Companion gains no Affinity.
- Kills with its weapon: Affinity is split between the Companion and its weapon 50/50%.
- Kills with an ability: All Affinity goes to the Companion.
- Companion uses an ability: Amount varies by ability.[investigation needed] 100% goes to the Companion.
- Allied Tenno, but not the Companion's owner, kills an enemy: Affinity gained by the Companion does not detract from that gained by its owner.
- Affinity is split between the Companion and its weapon 50/50%.
- 100% Affinity to the Companion in the absence of a weapon.
Other Affinity Sources
- Use a Warframe/Archwing ability: Affinity equal to the base energy cost, in most cases.
- Hack a terminal: 50 Affinity.
- Complete an objective.
- Collect an Affinity Orb: 100 Affinity.
- Scanning with the Codex Scanner:
- Scanning objects: 10 Affinity.
- Scanning enemies: Affinity equal to 1/3 of gain upon killing the enemy (rounded down).
- Stealth scan: Affinity equal to gain upon killing the enemy.
Stealth Kill Affinity Bonus
Killing unaware enemies will trigger a Stealth Kill Affinity Bonus, which increases the amount of affinity that a player gains from killing said enemy. A notification appears in a player's HUD to the left of the shield counter upon performing a stealth kill, which will display the bonus affinity value for that kill, as well as the time remaining for the combo. The default bonus affinity value is 100%, which can be increased by performing a subsequent stealth attack within 30 seconds of the previous one, which will add another 100% to the bonus value, e.g. killing a second enemy stealthily will grant a 200% affinity multiplier, the third granting 300%, and so forth until it caps out at 500%, whereupon any successive stealth kills will provide said bonus as long as they are made within the time limit. Stealth kill affinity bonuses can be initiated using any attack as long as the enemy is unaware of the player's presence, though melee weapons grant twice the amount of stealth kill affinity compared to ranged weapons or abilities.
The stealth kill affinity bonus resets if a kill is made on an alert enemy, or upon being attacked by an alert enemy. Only enemy units will trigger these affinity bonuses. Environmental objects like Corpus Turrets, Security Cameras, Sensor Bars, and Storage Containers will not reset the multiplier nor do they count as a stealth kill. Certain units like Sensor Regulators are also considered objects, and thus will not initiate stealth affinity bonuses.
Oddly enough, certain Warframe powers (like Paralysis) and Melee Combos that initiate stagger may initiate stealth kill affinity bonuses upon performing a Counterattack Finisher, even if the enemy was previously aware of the player.
Killing an enemy that spawned within 5 seconds will not count towards the stealth affinity multiplier.
If a player completes a mission successfully they gain bonus Affinity based on the amount gained during the mission. Bonus Affinity is shown as yellow in the end of mission report and is an additional 125% of the base affinity earned for each item.
Due to bonus affinity, leveling an item up to a certain level in a single mission, and completing the mission, will result in that item becoming max rank:
- Getting an item to level 20 will result in that item becoming level 30.
- For 5 forma'd, Kuva Weapons or the Paracesis, getting to level 26 2/3 will result in a level 40 weapon.
When playing with other players, Affinity will be shared among the squad if they are within a 50-meter radius. This can be increased with Fosfors to 200m or Vazarin's Mending Unity passive (+25m at max rank). Some Warframe Abilities also have their ranges tied to this particular range.
Sacrifice shields to boost reload, and fire rate while converting damage inflicted on enemies into health for Harrow and nearby allies.
|Strength:5% (lifesteal on hit)|
20% / 25% / 30% / 35% (fire rate bonus)
40% / 50% / 60% / 70% (reload speed bonus)
|Duration:4 s (base time)|
1.25 / 1.33 / 1.43 / 1.54 s (bonus per 100 shields)
|Misc:50 m (affinity range)|
- Harrow flagellates himself twice with his thurible, sacrificing all of his shields and Overshields to gain 20% / 25% / 30% / 35% ranged and melee weapons fire rate and 40% / 50% / 60% / 70% reload speed bonuses. While active, 5% of any damage dealt by Harrow to enemies converts into Health for Harrow and allies within his Affinity Range. Penance has a base duration of 4 seconds, plus extra duration of 1.25 / 1.33 / 1.43 / 1.54 seconds for every 100 Shield and Overshields points drained.
- Lifesteal on hit, weapon fire rate, and reload speed bonuses are affected by Ability Strength.
- Base duration and bonus duration are affected by Ability Duration.
- Affinity Range is not affected by Ability Range but is affected by the Mending Unity passive in the Vazarin focus school.
- Casting animation of 2 seconds is affected by and .
- The amount of shields to be drained is determined on activation. Shield points from will not be drained if gained during Penance's casting animation.
- Each time Harrow flagellates himself, 50% of the total shield points are subtracted.
- Allies affected by the lifesteal all Warframes, Companions, Eidolon Lures, summoned allied units such as Specters, allied Invasion units, Hostages, Kavor Defectors, Sortie and Arbitrations Defense Operatives, and Defense Objects.
- On Defense Objects, Penance restores up to 50 health per second.
- While active, stylized art appears beneath the aiming reticle; when a player is healed by Penance, colored text denoting the amount of health healed from damage dealt briefly replaces the art for several seconds. Both visuals are affected by Harrow's Warframe energy color.
- Harrow's wounds on his back from flagellation emit piercing light in his chosen Warframe energy color.
- Casting Penance stops all of Harrow's movement and actions.
- Can be recast while active to stack extra duration to the remaining time, up to a maximum total duration of 120 seconds.
Protect nearby allies with an energy force that absorbs all damage and converts it to a Critical Chance bonus for all those under the Covenant. Headshots are amplified even further.
|Strength:1.50% (critical per 100 damage)|
|Duration:3 / 4 / 5 / 6 s (invulnerability time)|
6 / 8 / 10 / 12 s (critical chance time)
|Misc:4.0x (headshot multiplier to bonus critical chance)|
50/250 m (affinity range/open-world affinity range)
- Harrow breaks free of his shackles in a whirlwind of impenetrable energy, imbuing himself and allies inside his Affinity Range with complete invulnerability to damage and Status Effect immunity for 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 seconds. While invulnerable, any enemy damage prevented by all affected players during this time accumulates into a total pool.
- After the invulnerability phase, all affected players receive the Retaliation buff which provides an additive weapon critical chance bonus lasting for 6 / 8 / 10 / 12 seconds. Retaliation provides a 5% base critical chance, plus extra critical chance converted from total damage prevented at a rate of 1.50% per 100 damage points prevented. Additionally, the combined critical chance percentage is multiplied by 4 on headshot hits.
- Retaliation duration is affected by Ability Duration.
- Base critical chance and extra critical chance percentages are affected by Ability Strength, while damage points prevented and headshot multiplier are not.
- Retaliation's critical chance is capped at 50% on bodyshot hits and 200% on headshot hits.
- The critical chance applied to the weapons is a flat value applied after mods.
- Critical chance is also applied to melee weapons, weapon deployables ( disc, channel throw, etc.), and Exalted weapons ( 's , 's , etc.)
- Protection and Retaliation buffs affect both players and their Companions.
- Covenant cannot be recast while its buffs are active.
- Multiple Harrows can cast Covenant independently of other players' active invulnerability and critical chance buffs.
- Casting animation of 3 seconds is affected by casting speed, from mods such as and . Casting Covenant stops Harrow's movement and actions.
- During the invulnerability phase, the current total of damage prevented is displayed to the right of the aiming reticle, represented by a shield-like emblem.
- After the invulnerability phase, the critical chance bonus and its headshot multiplied percentage are briefly displayed at the same position, represented by a bullet-like emblem.
- An audible whispering sound plays when each buff's duration ends.
- Covenant's buff icons for invulnerability and critical chance are displayed beside the shield and health indicators, with the critical chance bonus percentage located at the top-right of the icon and buff timers at the bottom.
- Harrow and affected allies are visibly surrounded by a gust of energy while under Covenant's effects. This visual effect expands or contracts depending on the phases of the ability, and is affected by Harrow's chosen Warframe energy color.
- Main article: Lasting Covenant
Lasting Covenant is a Warframe Augment Mod for that increases 's critical chance buff duration each time an enemy is killed with a headshot.
- It synergizes well with abilities that buff critical damage, such as and .
- Also pairs well with the since they are at their optimal power when you are getting headshots.
- Since the critical chance applied is additive, this ability can turn a modded with (and possibly other critical damage mods such as a Riven) into a viable critical secondary.
- Stacks with , resulting in an additive +95% critical chance on bodyshot and +245% on headshot with both effects maxed.
- Casting this while attempting to revive a teammate makes for a reliable survival strategy, as the invulnerability phase will protect you from enemy fire.
- If the mission has Environmental Hazards, like the toxic waste in the Grineer Shipyard tileset, you can use them to stack extra damage negation during the invulnerability phase.
- Covenant synergizes well with a Kitgun equipped with , with its projectiles gain benefits for critical chance to headshot from this ability.
Restore the health and shields of allies within Trinity's Affinity aura while giving them some damage resistance.
|Strength:40% / 50% / 75% / 80% (shield/health restoration)|
25% / 30% / 40% / 50% (damage reduction)
|Duration:3 / 5 / 7 / 10 s (buff duration)|
|Misc:50 m (affinity range)|
75% (damage reduction cap)
- Trinity invokes potent restorative and defensive power from within, restoring 40% / 50% / 75% / 80% of her and her allies' maximum Shields and Health capacity within her own shared Affinity range. Trinity and all affected allies will be granted 25% / 30% / 40% / 50% damage reduction against incoming enemy damage for 3 / 5 / 7 / 10 seconds.
- Shield/health restoration and damage reduction are affected by Ability Strength.
- Buff duration is affected by Ability Duration.
- Cast time of 0.5 seconds is affected by and .
- Heal range is set to shared affinity range, and is not affected by Ability Range. However, it is affected by Mending Unity resulting in 75 meters and significantly increased with Fosfors.
- Damage reduction is capped at 75%, achievable by a 50% increase in Ability Strength.
- Damage reduction affects damage taken to shields and overshields, in addition to health.
- Affected allies includes all Warframes, Companions, Eidolon Lures, summoned allied units such as Specters, allied Invasion units, Hostages, Kavor Defectors, Sortie and Arbitrations Defense Operatives, and Defense Objects.
- On Defense Objects, Blessing restores up to 500 health over 5 seconds which does not stack with similar restoration effects. The damage reduction is also capped at 50%.
- Blessing does not grant immunity from Status Effects such as Knockdowns and staggers.
- Even if Trinity enters bleedout while casting, the healing and damage resistance will still be granted, and Trinity's allies will be able to safely revive her. The damage resistance for Trinity still applies, even while being downed.
- After the oxygen has completely run out in Survival, Blessing will replenish Trinity's health and shields as well as grant damage resistance. However, health and shields will still be depleted at a rapid rate, eventually leaving Trinity and her allies at 5 health. After an ally's shields have been depleted at this stage of the mission they will stay depleted, similar to the No Shields Nightmare mode challenge, and Blessing cannot recover them anymore.
- Does not restore or create overshields.
- While active, electricity-like energy waves will appear on all affected characters and companions; the color is affected by Trinity's energy color.
- Can be recast while active. Blessing's previous damage resistance values will be overridden.
- In addition to disappearing when the the buff timer reaches zero, Blessing will disappear for a brief moment when recasting.
- In addition to the above, Blessing disappears when the caster of the Blessing goes into Archwing mode.
In addition, some Warframe Augment Mods may augment an ability with a mechanic tied to Affinity Range such as .
The range limit is increased to 200m in Archwing missions and 250m in Landscapes (Plains of Eidolon, Orb Vallis, and Cambion Drift). The range limit is ignored entirely in Empyrean missions due to their sheer scale.
To reach a given level from unranked, a Warframe or Sentinel needs 1000 × level2 Affinity in total. A weapon needs half that amount.
To reach the same level from the previous level, a Warframe or Sentinel needs 1000 × (2 × level − 1) Affinity. Again, a weapon needs half that amount.
*Only for , Kuva Weapons, Tenet Weapons, and Necramechs. Note that this chart does not accurately reflect on total cumulative Affinity needed to rank up to 40 as you have to Forma the weapons five times in order to increase the max rank to 40.
The cumulative Affinity to rank for the Paracesis and Kuva Lich weapons including Forma cycles is as follows:
Enemy Affinity Scaling
- Main article: Enemy Level Scaling
When you kill an enemy, the Affinity gained is shown on screen underlined in blue. The formula enemy affintiy scales at is as follows:
Note that the base affinity multiplied by the Affinity Multiplier value is also rounded down to a whole number, e.g. 62.7 affinity will be rounded down to 62.
Because the square root is taken of the enemy's current level, the actual benefit of facing high-level enemies is minimal. For example, killing a level 100 Napalm would give 1213 Affinity, less than twice the Affinity you would get from a level 3 Napalm (623). Therefore, "farming" Affinity is easier when killing many low-mid level enemies instead of taking on high level enemies.
- Fully ranked equipment still accumulates Affinity even though the mission end screen does not display it. The total Affinity can be seen from a player's profile page.
- Enemies in the Simulacrum when killed do not reward Affinity.
- Mastery Rank Tests will not reward Affinity upon completion.
- Do not bring other max ranked weapons as they will continue to leech Affinity.
- Mass crowd control abilities (e.g. 's , 's , 's , or 's ) generate a lot of affinity for teammates.
These are based on opinions and may not be 100% true. These should be viewed as advice for farming Affinity until better facts are proven.
- Star Chart Missions
|Sedna||Hydron||Defense||30 - 40||Grineer Galleon|
|Saturn||Helene||Defense||21 - 26||Grineer Galleon|
|Pluto||Oceanum||Spy||32 - 36||Corpus Ship|
|Sedna||Adaro||Exterminate||32 - 36||Grineer Asteroid|
|Veil Proxima||R-9 Cloud||Skirmish||80 - 90||Free Space|
- Hydron is a common spot for general Affinity farming, with Helene being a more accessible alternative, albeit netting less Affinity overall due to the lower level of enemies.
- Oceanum can be stealthily speed ran by more advanced players, hacking all three data vaults without being detected to farm for Affinity for a particular weapon.
- Adaro can award an extreme amount of affinity when utilizing Stealth Kill Affinity Bonus from stealth Warframes ( 's , 's , 's , or 's ) or Warframes that can force enemies to sleep ( 's , 's or Helminth subsumed , or Ivara's ). If leveling up guns, make sure to equip a mod that reduces its noise level, such as or , if the gun is not innately silenced.
- R-9 Cloud is the highest leveled Empyrean mission. It also allows bringing Archwings, Arch-guns, Arch-melee, and Necramechs.
- Archwing Missions
|Neptune||Salacia||Mobile Defense||27 - 32||Corpus Ship (Archwing)|
- Salacia is arguably the best location for leveling up Archwings, Arch-guns, and Arch-melees outside of Empyrean missions.
- Other Locations
- Dark Sector missions are scattered throughout the Star Chart. These provide bonus Affinity gain to specific weapon classes.
|Planet||Mission Name||Type||Credits||Level||Resource Drop Chance Bonus||Affinity Bonus||Weapon Affinity Bonus|
|Earth||Tikal||Excavation||12,000||6 - 16||15%||12%||8% on Melee|
|Earth||Coba||Defense||12,000||6 - 16||15%||12%||8% on Melee|
|Venus||Romula||Defense||10,000||8 - 18||10%||10%||5% on Rifles|
|Venus||Malva||Survival||10,000||8 - 18||10%||10%||5% on Rifles|
|Mars||Wahiba||Survival||14,000||10 - 20||20%||15%||10% on Pistols|
|Mars||Kadesh||Defense||14,000||10 - 20||20%||15%||10% on Pistols|
|Ceres||Seimeni||Defense||20,000||15 - 25||35%||26%||21% on Melee|
|Ceres||Gabii||Survival||20,000||15 - 25||35%||26%||21% on Melee|
|Phobos||Zeugma||Survival||16,000||15 - 25||25%||18%||13% on Rifles|
|Phobos||Memphis||Defection||16,000||15 - 25||25%||18%||13% on Melee|
|Jupiter||Sinai||Defense||14,000||20 - 30||20%||15%||10% on Melee|
|Jupiter||Cameria||Survival||14,000||20 - 30||20%||15%||10% on Shotguns|
|Europa||Larzac||Defense||16,000||23 - 33||25%||18%||12% on Pistols|
|Europa||Cholistan||Excavation||16,000||23 - 33||25%||18%||12% on Melee|
|Uranus||Assur||Survival||16,000||25 - 35||25%||18%||13% on Melee|
|Saturn||Caracol||Defection||14,000||26 - 36||20%||15%||10% on Rifles|
|Saturn||Piscinas||Survival||14,000||26 - 36||20%||15%||10% on Shotguns|
|Uranus||Ur||Disruption||16,000||30 - 35||25%||18%||13% on Pistols|
|Neptune||Yursa||Defection||18,000||30 - 40||30%||23%||18% on Shotguns|
|Neptune||Kelashin||Survival||18,000||30 - 40||30%||23%||18% on Rifles|
|Pluto||Sechura||Defense||24,000||35 - 45||35%||30%||25% on Rifles|
|Sedna||Sangeru||Defense||16,000||35 - 45||25%||18%||13% on Melee|
|Eris||Zabala||Survival||18,000||35 - 45||30%||23%||18% on Pistols|
|Eris||Akkad||Defense||18,000||35 - 45||30%||23%||18% on Melee|
|Sedna||Amarna||Survival||16,000||35 - 45||25%||18%||13% on Rifles|
|Pluto||Hieracon||Excavation||24,000||35 - 45||35%||30%||25% on Pistols|
- Sanctuary Onslaught and Elite Sanctuary Onslaught are the best locations for Affinity farming, spawning a high volume of enemies in a short amount of time. Note that the elite version restricts access to only max ranked Warframes.
- Gear is restricted in Sanctuary Onslaught, preventing the use of Archgun Deployers.
- Endless Void Fissure missions provide Affinity gain bonuses for the duration of the mission after opening a certain number of Void Relics, up to a maximum of 2x Affinity gain at 16 relics opened.